Jeep Renegade Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yup, those are the ones that Trevinator1990 has, and that I've ordered. We'll see...
the ones you linked to from amazon are NOT the same as the ones i listed. the ones i bought have the cone taper all the way to the threads, the same as the factory ones do. the ones you bought have a flat 90 degree area between the taper and threads, which is an inherent weak point from a design standpoint. 90 degree corners like that tend to crack.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Safe in the knowledge that it is indeed stainless steel and not Chinese sh1t. :giggle::giggle::giggle:
Well, that's why I, for one, am asking about what people recommend as far as lug bolts, and what works.

A lot of Chinese-made stuff is first-quality, particularly if it's made under reputable international brand names. Mostly. And if for the international market.

Other Chinese-made stuff, well, isn't. They make a lot of parts under international brand names, like Volkswagen, but for internal use in China only. The quality of those isn't always great, even if they're interchangeable with "Western" VW parts.

These "Richeer" brand lug bolts from Amazon? We'll see.

Of course, we have no idea where the OEM Renegade ones were made either...

·
Registered
751 Posts
the ones you linked to from amazon are NOT the same as the ones i listed. the ones i bought have the cone taper all the way to the threads, the same as the factory ones do. the ones you bought have a flat 90 degree area between the taper and threads, which is an inherent weak point from a design standpoint. 90 degree corners like that tend to crack.
OK, my bad. First, I think I had you confused with someone else. Second, I hadn't noticed the taper shape.

The ones you got were black, and looked like this:

The ones I ordered from Amazon are silver, and look like this with the flat area between the taper and the threads:

Yes, I can see how that could be a weak point.

OK, so back to the ordering drawing board...

Just to make sure I've got this right... The OEM bolts have specification M12x1.25. That means 12mm wide at the outside of the threads (approximately), and 1.25 means fine thread pitch. Yes?

So my issue now is that the black bolts you've got have a thread length of 28mm or 1.1". I just pulled an OEM bolt off again; and it's got a thread length of only about 20mm, and the length to the start of the taper is about 22mm. So your bolts are about 6 or 8mm longer than the OEM ones.

You're attaching spacers with those bolts, not the OEM wheels. Are we confident those black bolts won't be too long for the OEM wheels and hubs? Do the hubs have room for 6-8mm longer bolts?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Well, I tried calling my local Jeep service department, to as how much room there is in the hub if my aftermarket wheel bolts are 8mm longer than the stock ones.

The answer I got was what we used to call the "Fort Carson Salute":

No, they didn't know. No, they didn't have (or couldn't get) a Trailhawk up on a lift to see.

So I removed a wheel bolt again and had a look.

Sticking a measuring probe into the bolt hole and then measuring how far it went down (not easy), it looks like there's about 40mm inside of where the hub's threads start, to where my probe would hit something. So it looks like the black aftermarket bolts, whose thread length is 28mm, should fit.

Should. But I don't know what would happen when the wheel is turned.

So my question still remains... Does someone have these wheel bolts...

...actually on a set of Trailhawk wheels (not spacers); and do they fit?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, I tried calling my local Jeep service department, to as how much room there is in the hub if my aftermarket wheel bolts are 8mm longer than the stock ones.

The answer I got was what we used to call the "Fort Carson Salute":

View attachment 2396352164

No, they didn't know. No, they didn't have (or couldn't get) a Trailhawk up on a lift to see.

So I removed a wheel bolt again and had a look.

View attachment 2396352165

Sticking a measuring probe into the bolt hole and then measuring how far it went down (not easy), it looks like there's about 40mm inside of where the hub's threads start, to where my probe would hit something. So it looks like the black aftermarket bolts, whose thread length is 28mm, should fit.

Should. But I don't know what would happen when the wheel is turned.

So my question still remains... Does someone have these wheel bolts...

View attachment 2396352166

...actually on a set of Trailhawk wheels (not spacers); and do they fit?
where my spacer bolt to the flange is thinner than the stock wheels. you will be fine........

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Installed my wheels with these. Comes in black too. Best option IMHO.
Lug Bolts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Installed my wheels with these. Comes in black too. Best option IMHO.
Lug Bolts
Well, it looks from one of the images...

...that these would have the same issue that started this thread in the same place. They don't appear solid -- they've got chrome caps crimped over the steel bolts.

I see the shank length is 25.6mm. The OEM bolts are only 20mm as I measure them. No problems with clearance on the other side?

·
Registered
20 Posts

here's a kit to change to stud.

·
Registered
751 Posts
here's a kit to change to stud.
I'm not at all tempted to do so. We've owned European-designed cars since the late 1990s, with wheel bolts. I'm used to that now.

Other than maybe being a bit easier to put the wheel on the hub when changing it, what's the advantage of studs and bolts?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Well, it looks from one of the images...

View attachment 2396352281

...that these would have the same issue that started this thread in the same place. They don't appear solid -- they've got chrome caps crimped over the steel bolts.

I see the shank length is 25.6mm. The OEM bolts are only 20mm as I measure them. No problems with clearance on the other side?
These are McGard. Solid head. With plating of high enough quality, you can give a lifetime replacement warranty as they do. I found 28mm the absolute max length I’d use on OEM or aftermarket wheels. The OEM 22 mm hollowed head and capped bolts didn’t give enough bite on my rally wheel thickness and the Mcgards length left room behind the flange. I also liked the free spinning seat. I’d rather have 5 hex head per wheel but the little extra protection offset dealing with a key. They’re not listed for renegade iirc So I found these by spec. Just FYI. It’s been tough getting bolts that I want.

·
Registered
751 Posts
These are McGard. Solid head.
Are you positive? Because the image shows that the heads are clearly more shiny than the shanks. Is that plating, just on the heads?

See my photo in Post #29 of the OEM bolts. I couldn't tell at first, because the crimp is so tight -- but they're definitely capped.

I found 28mm the absolute max length I’d use on OEM or aftermarket wheels.
Why do you say that? I'm not doubting you; I actually hope you're correct. Because the ones I finally ordered (that Trevinator1990 recommended)...

28mm Acorn Seat Lug Bolt 20pc Kit (Black) M12x1.25 | 17mm Hex | eBay

...have arrived, and the shank + thread length is indeed 28mm:

Ruler Office ruler Font Tape measure Measuring instrument

Actually a hair under 28mm, measuring with calipers.

Like I wrote, as far as I can see, there seems to be plenty of depth in the hub and inside of it; but I can't be sure.

I'm going to have a trusted repair shop put these on, checking for clearance while on a lift.

It’s been tough getting bolts that I want.
That's the truth...

·
Registered
751 Posts
Well, no, as it turns out those black wheel bolts...

28mm Acorn Seat Lug Bolt 20pc Kit (Black) M12x1.25 | 17mm Hex | eBay

...do NOT fit my 2021 Renegade Trailhawk.

I took them to a trusted local shop to install them, to make sure there was enough clearance on the other side of the threaded holes. They said the dimensions of the cone were different, and the new bolts weren't making enough contact with the tapers in the wheel holes.

You can see in this side-by-side photo that they took...

Cosmetics Liquid Glass bottle Font Electric blue

...that only the wider half of the cone was making contact, and that wasn't enough.

I then sent the photo to a specialty wheel and tire shop here in Colorado Springs, and they confirmed that -- the new bolts should thread in OK, but won't make enough beveled contact to be safe.

So anyone that gets these, be aware of that...

I hate to do this, but I'm going to try to ask the Jeep dealer if they have anything aftermarket. But I'm not holding my breath...

·
Registered
751 Posts
OK, I just called my local Jeep dealer's parts department. The guy looked up the Trailhawk's VIN, and found that there indeed are alternate, solid-steel bolts available from Mopar.

They're dull-silver color, which is fine.

They only caveat he had was that the outsides of the caps aren't smooth and purdy; they're kind of "hollowed-out" -- he couldn't provide an image. I assume they're something like the lug bolts for our VWs:

Camera accessory Household hardware Audio equipment Plastic Auto part

In other words, not for show; but intended maybe to take some kind of plastic trim caps over them. I really don't care what they look like (hey, it's a Jeep for offroad use), as long as they fit securely.

The bolts are about $3.35 each, so not horribly expensive.

He'll have one in for me to look at tomorrow. I'll try to remember to snap a photo and report back...

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Excellent post Marek. :giggle:;)

It just proves that cheaper is often the way forward to give someone the perfect fit. :D

Imho, if anyone wants coloured bolts then buy the ones you have identified and paint them. :p

Who needs plastic cover caps anyway :eek::sleep:

41 - 60 of 70 Posts