Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2019 renegade, and off the lot we got it home. Only has 60 miles and went to start the car, and shift into reveres, when shifting the car slams into the gear real abrupt and loud, same when shifting into drive.

on dash we get service transmission, service engine, and service hill start assist.

car drive fine with all lights on, but when got home We smelled a burned rubber smell.
Also cruise control not working either.

like I said the car is brand new off the lot with now only 60 miles on it.

why would transmission go bad on brand new vehicle ?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hi and welcome.

As a 30 year recently retired Firefighter I often came across burning rubber but I must admit never on a new car.

The burning rubber smell makes me shiver. Was it definitely rubber that you could smell and not plastic? Could it be possible it was the brake pad that was slightly rubbing and moulding itself to the shape of the disc especially as it's new? New rubber tyres making contact with the road with a fully loaded car ie friction

There are many other reasons why it could be rubber and from other rubber components. Can you recall the exact location of where you were smelling this?

I only hope it's not from the wiring loom and I don'y say that lightly and certainly not to frighten you. :cry:

As an example:

• Someone was convinced her car was on fire after returning home from shopping and whilst removing her bags from the boot she could smell burning. We searched high and low and couldn't find it. Eventually we found a bare bulb in the boot with some plastic melted on to it. One of her "Poly" bags had touched the bulb ie the one with a the hole in it.
  • Another called us out to her car on a main road as she too could smell burning. There was a black bin bag stuck to her exhaust. She replied, "I wondered why that bag didn't come out from under the car as I drove over it".
I could go on and on but hopefully it has been solved and it's nothing. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi and welcome.

As a 30 year recently retired Firefighter I often came across burning rubber but I must admit never on a new car.

The burning rubber smell makes me shiver. Was it definitely rubber that you could smell and not plastic? Could it be possible it was the brake pad that was slightly rubbing and moulding itself to the shape of the disc especially as it's new? New rubber tyres making contact with the road with a fully loaded car ie friction

There are many other reasons why it could be rubber and from other rubber components. Can you recall the exact location of where you were smelling this?

I only hope it's not from the wiring loom and I don'y say that lightly and certainly not to frighten you. :cry:

As an example:

• Someone was convinced her car was on fire after returning home from shopping and whilst removing her bags from the boot she could smell burning. We searched high and low and couldn't find it. Eventually we found a bare bulb in the boot with some plastic melted on to it. One of her "Poly" bags had touched the bulb ie the one with a the hole in it.
  • Another called us out to her car on a main road as she too could smell burning. There was a black bin bag stuck to her exhaust. She replied, "I wondered why that bag didn't come out from under the car as I drove over it".
I could go on and on but hopefully it has been solved and it's nothing. Fingers crossed.
Not so much rubber but just a burning smell, which could’ve been like you said.

I am taking to dealer tomorrow and letting them get it sorted or swap for new vehicle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE Took it to the dealer and he said my issue is a bad TCM. So they ordering a new one.

he said rarely but sometimes the TCM can be damaged.
I asked it being brand new, he said could’ve been anything

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same! We love the car! For the 40 miles we were able to drive it lol!
Excited to be a part of the Reney club!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Not so much rubber but just a burning smell, which could’ve been like you said.

I am taking to dealer tomorrow and letting them get it sorted or swap for new vehicle
Somethings keep me awake at night.

Last night a thought comes into my head.

What if it wasn't burning rubber but the new smell from the car in particular new rubber mats? That certainly is a different smell from burning but still rubbery.

Brand new carpeting can also have a similar smell.

However I am so glad to read that your dealership found a fault with the car and replace it for you. No more worried nights for you and a heads up for others in here that may be suffering or may suffer at a later date from what your car has gone through. (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
UPDATE Took it to the dealer and he said my issue is a bad TCM. So they ordering a new one.

he said rarely but sometimes the TCM can be damaged.
I asked it being brand new, he said could’ve been anything
Hello TheGwatneys,
Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If any additional assistance is needed throughout this process, please do not hesitate reaching out to us.
Laura
JeepCares

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello TheGwatneys,
Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If any additional assistance is needed throughout this process, please do not hesitate reaching out to us.
Laura
JeepCares
UPDATE!!!

so the dealer got the new TCM and it wouldn’t register to the car.

so in dealing with us and feeling bad for a negative experience the dealer is upgrading us from the 2019 sport model to the 2019 latitude.

apparently the transmission module was faulty from the factory, and everything they try isn’t working on that car.

so we are sorted out, the dealer is making good on a bad situation, and we are getting an upgraded vehicle for the price of the sport

·
Registered
259 Posts
UPDATE!!!

so in dealing with us and feeling bad for a negative experience the dealer is upgrading us from the 2019 sport model to the 2019 latitude.

apparently the transmission module was faulty from the factory, and everything they try isn’t working on that car.

so we are sorted out, the dealer is making good on a bad situation, and we are getting an upgraded vehicle for the price of the sport
Yay Gwatneys! Now pick a unique color. The Latitude is nicely equipped, don't think you miss your last one. Break it in it till 1300 miles then drive it like you stole it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
UPDATE!!!

Hello TheGwatneys,
Thank you for touching base with me here and providing that update! I am happy to hear you dealer was able to provide you with a new vehicle. Please do not hesitate reaching out to us in the future if you have any questions or concerns. We're always happy to assist.
Laura
JeepCares

1 - 17 of 17 Posts