Jeep Renegade Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

· Registered
1,293 Posts
I bought a 2020 Renegade last March and from the beginning I have had a shifting issue. Now a year in to this the hard shifting is so bad it causes us to jerk so hard and now when pressing on the gas it takes forever to accelerate. I wish I would of bought a different car.
I turn off the gas saving mode everytime I use the vehicle. The acceleration is worse with it on however turning it off does not improve the hesitation or the transmission issue.
Hello Natti4979 and shells2skis,

Apologies for the late response. We would love to look into both of your concerns separately, please private message our team!

Hannah
Jeep Cares

· Registered
2,202 Posts
Well, now that I've taken delivery of my 2021 Renegade Trailhawk and searched my USB-based 2020 Service Manual, I can shed some light onto the auto stop/start feature -- at least the U.S. version. Particularly the question about the "second tiny battery."

When driving the vehicle home from the dealership, I noticed a warning on the dashboard -- something to the effect that the auto stop/start system was disabled because its battery hadn't charged up enough yet, or something to that effect. By the time I got home, there was a notice that the system was now working.

Nothing about this in the Owner's Manual. So I just searched through the Service Manual, and found some details on how the system works. Since the weird copy protection prevents me from cutting-and-pasting or even doing a print-screen on anything from the manual, here's an old-school literal screen shot (* grumble grumble pain-in-the-ass *). Hope they don't get me for a copyright infringement (coughJeepCarescough)...:

So it looks like there is indeed an "Auxiliary Battery" for the ESS system. I haven't digested all of this yet, but it looks like the Auxiliary Battery kicks in when the engine is automatically stopped, to power all the vehicle's electrical systems so that the Main Battery isn't burdened and is ready to start the engine again. So if the Auxiliary Battery isn't working or isn't charged, the ESS is disabled. Pretty smart.

Also, according to the owner's Manual, there's a long list of conditions that will prevent the ESS from engaging -- high-power-draw stuff like the HVAC system not being at its set level, or seat heating on, etc etc etc -- all to make sure that power isn't drained when the engine is off. Again, pretty smart...

· Registered
371 Posts
Well, now that I've taken delivery of my 2021 Renegade Trailhawk and searched my USB-based 2020 Service Manual, I can shed some light onto the auto stop/start feature -- at least the U.S. version. Particularly the question about the "second tiny battery."

When driving the vehicle home from the dealership, I noticed a warning on the dashboard -- something to the effect that the auto stop/start system was disabled because its battery hadn't charged up enough yet, or something to that effect. By the time I got home, there was a notice that the system was now working.

Nothing about this in the Owner's Manual. So I just searched through the Service Manual, and found some details on how the system works. Since the weird copy protection prevents me from cutting-and-pasting or even doing a print-screen on anything from the manual, here's an old-school literal screen shot (* grumble grumble pain-in-the-ass *). Hope they don't get me for a copyright infringement (coughJeepCarescough)...:

View attachment 2396350847

So it looks like there is indeed an "Auxiliary Battery" for the ESS system. I haven't digested all of this yet, but it looks like the Auxiliary Battery kicks in when the engine is automatically stopped, to power all the vehicle's electrical systems so that the Main Battery isn't burdened and is ready to start the engine again. So if the Auxiliary Battery isn't working or isn't charged, the ESS is disabled. Pretty smart.

Also, according to the owner's Manual, there's a long list of conditions that will prevent the ESS from engaging -- high-power-draw stuff like the HVAC system not being at its set level, or seat heating on, etc etc etc -- all to make sure that power isn't drained when the engine is off. Again, pretty smart...
Who knew? Not me. I love how they say in the NOTE: The terminology on the relays in this procedure can be confusing.....

· Registered
1,181 Posts
My mother in law drives a Volvo SUV and it has ALL the bells and whistles and she had a bad battery warning pop up, so my father in law replaced it. He said it was a bugger to replace. Within a year the light came back, he thought it was because they don't drive enough. He decided to take it to the dealer, he didn't want to mess with it. That's when he learned of the aux battery for the start/stop. On this vehicle you can permanently disable the start/stop, which he did within one week of ownership, and never thought of it again. Apparently those batteries aren't your standard off-the-shelf batteries (at least in the Volvo) and certainly not under the hood, and most certainly not cheap.

I use my time at stop lights to run a visual diagnostic on my vehicle; coolant/tranny/oil temp check, fuel check, rpm's at idle, tire PSI check. Became habit to check my gauges since I was a Heavy Vehicle Operator (military speak for truck driver) while in the Marine Corps many moons ago.

That Start/Stop feature is definitely one feature I do NOT want.

· Registered
2,202 Posts
Marek (y)(y)(y)

So I was correct afterall when posting a few years ago about having 2 batteries. :eek::love::D
I still don't know what post you're referring to a few years ago... but I'd been reacting to 36Snares's comment in Post #37 above, that there was allegedly a small battery for the ESS system.

So yes, he was correct. And you were too, assuming you were saying the same thing...a few years ago.

Though, to be fair, neither of you could explain that. It took me to do that... ;)

· Registered
47 Posts
I bought a 2020 Renegade last March and from the beginning I have had a shifting issue. Now a year in to this the hard shifting is so bad it causes us to jerk so hard and now when pressing on the gas it takes forever to accelerate. I wish I would of bought a different car.
My 2021 transmission blew up at 21k. Locked in 4th gear only. At dealer and holding my breath.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts