Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, recently hit 30k on my 2020 TH and thought I’d do a review. I’ll list the mods then get into, though my mod list on this thing is very short.

Falken WildPeak 225/65/17 (20000 miles and have held up great)
Renegade Ready Ladder
Rhino Rack Flat Platform with mounting for trax, fuel etc
Custom vertical gun rack I made

Yeah not a lot of mods, but I kinda wanted to see what I could do with this thing before I decided to lift it or get bumpers and all that stuff that inevitably adds a lot of cost.

So here’s how it’s been for me:
It has plenty of capability for the “off-roading” I do in NC. It has handled the OBX deep sandy beaches, Fort Fischer, the occasional muddy road I find between home and work and most notably it handled some pretty difficult trails in the mountains of Wyoming on a 5,000 mile road trip to Jackson Hole. These trails had foot deep ruts, full of mud, and a lot of really steep inclines with loose rock. Never missed a beat. I would say with the proper person behind the wheel, and a lift, this Jeep could do anything you could ever want it to, aside from hardcore rock crawling. I also think this Renegade is the perfect size for me and my family. Like I said, my wife and I were able to take a 5,000 mile road trip, camping the whole way, and though it was tight we had plenty of space with proper loading and planning. I also like the styling, which is subjective, and over the year I’ve discovered a ton of off-road accessory vendors that can push this little Jeep even further.

I guess the negatives that I’ve noticed is mainly associated with the transmission. I can consistently make the transmission slip by hard acceleration. It kinda hesitates to change gears, then once it does it’s a really hard shift. Not pleasant.

Another big issue I have is finding a good tow hitch for this Jeep. Right now it’s buy the factory one and spend $800 and an entire weekend putting it on or being at the mercy for the few vendors that make bumpers with integrated hitches (more on that later)

And then my backup camera hasn’t been working for probably 150000 miles. It works intermittently - prob 70% of the time it doesn’t though. It’s like a little game me and my wife play at this point; “will I get a backup picture today?”

Other than that any of my other gripes are minor. Previously I said there are more and more vendors coming out with products but with that being said there is no where near the amount of off-road support as other vehicles in this class have. Mainly bumpers. I can’t find off-road bumpers to save my life. Avid makes them but I’ve emailed maybe a dozen times and they have yet to respond to my inquiries about purchasing bumpers from them which made me no longer interested in supporting them.

I guess a conclusion to this would as follows; this Jeep has been amazing for me and my family, and with what I do and how I use it, it will be more than capable for me. There are problems but they are mostly overlooked by how enjoyable it is to push it to its limits every now and then.

If anyone has any information about hitches and lifts please let me know. At this point I wouldn’t want more than a 2” lift, and I’d like to be able to tow something with any off-road bumper. Next things on the list would be some ditch lights, and an on board air compressor. Additionally I’d like to considering a different rack option. Any advice or info on Gobi racks would be helpful. Also open to store stuff inside the cargo area.

Alright I think that’s it. Thanks for reading!
Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Car
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
991 Posts
Looks like those are Falken WildPeak A/T Trail tires, right? Were they OEM on your Trailhawk, or did you put them on afterwards? I had the dealer put those on our 2021 Trailhawk before we took delivery, instead of the OEM Falken Wildpeak H/T tires that I really didn't like the look of for off-road use...

What's a vertical gun rack? For long guns, I assume? Where did you squeeze that in, vertical-wise?

What are you looking for in off-road bumpers? I find the Trailhawk's OEM bumpers give plenty of approach and departure angle...

I've fooled around with the idea of a roof rack to expand cargo capacity a bit, particularly for dispersed camping here in the Colorado mountains. But our Trailhawk is still so new that the first thing we do when we get back from camping, still on the way home -- besides filling up with gas -- is taking it through an automated car wash. Wouldn't be able to do that with a roof rack, I'm afraid...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like those are Falken WildPeak A/T Trail tires, right? Were they OEM on your Trailhawk, or did you put them on afterwards? I had the dealer put those on our 2021 Trailhawk before we took delivery, instead of the OEM Falken Wildpeak H/T tires that I really didn't like the look of for off-road use...

What's a vertical gun rack? For long guns, I assume? Where did you squeeze that in, vertical-wise?

What are you looking for in off-road bumpers? I find the Trailhawk's OEM bumpers give plenty of approach and departure angle...

I've fooled around with the idea of a roof rack to expand cargo capacity a bit, particularly for dispersed camping here in the Colorado mountains. But our Trailhawk is still so new that the first thing we do when we get back from camping, still on the way home -- besides filling up with gas -- is taking it through an automated car wash. Wouldn't be able to do that with a roof rack, I'm afraid...
The A/T tires were added on by myself after about 10k miles on the stock H/T. Like you said they didn’t do much for me look wise and getting a blow out on my factory tires caused by some stray pieces of metal was all the excuse I needed to buy a full set.

As far as the gun rack, it’s positioned vertically on the inner most part of the passenger front seat with a bracket I made screwed into the center console and attached to the slider that the seat rests on in the floor. Positioned behind the seat. Works great for the old Winchester 94 or a 10.5”-16” AR.

Mainly with the off-road bumper I’m interested in a hitch. It would be nice to have a spare tire mount for a second spare but I’d be happy with a just a hitch to pull my trailer.

As for the rack, I screwed my self out of automated car washes when I decided to install the ladder lol I really enjoy the ladder but my Rhino rack is just not cutting it. Maybe it’s boredom, maybe it’s the temptation of Gobi. Who knows. Im still trying to figure out the storage situation

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yeah...the storage situation... Well, we manage to stuff everything we need for dispersed camping -- to include about six gallons of water -- into the interior with the rear seats folded down. The bulkiest items are our two REI cots that don't fold very compactly...

Tire Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Metal

...but, man, at our retired age are they ever comfortable with air mattresses. Quite worth the bulkiness.

The only thing I've done gun-wise is secure a small locking handgun box under the passenger seat with a cable, in case I'm somewhere that I can't carry...

As far as the roof rails, I mentioned a while ago in another thread that I'd gotten a set of Thule cross-bars, that take the ski rack that we already had:

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Even without the ski rack attachment, I really don't want to try these cross-bars in a car wash. Which is unfortunate, because they're not the easiest things to get on and off... Colorado doesn't generally use salt on the highways, but I'll still want to wash the Trailhawk after every trip...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hey everyone, recently hit 30k on my 2020 TH and thought I’d do a review. I’ll list the mods then get into, though my mod list on this thing is very short.

Renegade Ready Ladder

Yeah not a lot of mods, but I kinda wanted to see what I could do with this thing before I decided to lift it or get bumpers and all that stuff that inevitably adds a lot of cost.

It has plenty of capability for the “off-roading” I do in NC. It has handled the OBX deep sandy beaches, Fort Fischer, the occasional muddy road I find between home and work and most notably it handled some pretty difficult trails in the mountains of Wyoming on a 5,000 mile road trip to Jackson Hole. These trails had foot deep ruts, full of mud, and a lot of really steep inclines with loose rock. Never missed a beat. I would say with the proper person behind the wheel, and a lift, this Jeep could do anything you could ever want it to, aside from hardcore rock crawling. I also think this Renegade is the perfect size for me and my family. Like I said, my wife and I were able to take a 5,000 mile road trip, camping the whole way, and though it was tight we had plenty of space with proper loading and planning. I also like the styling, which is subjective, and over the year I’ve discovered a ton of off-road accessory vendors that can push this little Jeep even further.

I guess the negatives that I’ve noticed is mainly associated with the transmission. I can consistently make the transmission slip by hard acceleration. It kinda hesitates to change gears, then once it does it’s a really hard shift. Not pleasant.

Another big issue I have is finding a good tow hitch for this Jeep. Right now it’s buy the factory one and spend $800 and an entire weekend putting it on or being at the mercy for the few vendors that make bumpers with integrated hitches (more on that later)

And then my backup camera hasn’t been working for probably 150000 miles. It works intermittently - prob 70% of the time it doesn’t though. It’s like a little game me and my wife play at this point; “will I get a backup picture today?”

Other than that any of my other gripes are minor. Previously I said there are more and more vendors coming out with products but with that being said there is no where near the amount of off-road support as other vehicles in this class have. Mainly bumpers. I can’t find off-road bumpers to save my life. Avid makes them but I’ve emailed maybe a dozen times and they have yet to respond to my inquiries about purchasing bumpers from them which made me no longer interested in supporting them.

I guess a conclusion to this would as follows; this Jeep has been amazing for me and my family, and with what I do and how I use it, it will be more than capable for me. There are problems but they are mostly overlooked by how enjoyable it is to push it to its limits every now and then.

If anyone has any information about hitches and lifts please let me know. At this point I wouldn’t want more than a 2” lift, and I’d like to be able to tow something with any off-road bumper. Next things on the list would be some ditch lights, and an on board air compressor. Additionally I’d like to considering a different rack option. Any advice or info on Gobi racks would be helpful. Also open to store stuff inside the cargo area.

View attachment 2396352622 View attachment 2396352623 View attachment 2396352624
(y)Great write up. When i decided to get a rene TK a must have was the factory toe package with receiver. Factory installed is always best for these things think it was a $300 option. The tranny can get confuded your right but keep in mind when it shifts things can break so you should go easy at these times or use the paddle shifter. I use the paddle shift lots on the highway to keep it in the proper gear on hills. All in all i give these little cars five stars on most things. Not crazy about the location of the function switch and the fuse keeps blowing on the accessory port on the dash when i use my 12v compressor, I've given up on keeping fuses in it i use the rear power point and have never blown a fuse with the rear pp.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
(y)Great write up. When i decided to get a rene TK a must have was the factory toe package with receiver. Factory installed is always best for these things think it was a $300 option. The tranny can get confuded your right but keep in mind when it shifts things can break so you should go easy at these times or use the paddle shifter. I use the paddle shift lots on the highway to keep it in the proper gear on hills. All in all i give these little cars five stars on most things. Not crazy about the location of the function switch and the fuse keeps blowing on the accessory port on the dash when i use my 12v compressor, I've given up on keeping fuses in it i use the rear power point and have never blown a fuse with the rear pp.
I try not to accelerate too hard, but sometimes it’s unavoidable. I’m use to sports cars with manual gearboxes so I admit I have a lead foot sometimes lol

I love the rear power port. Use to use it for a cheap air compressor that died pretty quick after a few uses. Also used it for the corded dremel I used to cut my fender for the ladder install.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah...the storage situation... Well, we manage to stuff everything we need for dispersed camping -- to include about six gallons of water -- into the interior with the rear seats folded down. The bulkiest items are our two REI cots that don't fold very compactly...

View attachment 2396352628

...but, man, at our retired age are they ever comfortable with air mattresses. Quite worth the bulkiness.

The only thing I've done gun-wise is secure a small locking handgun box under the passenger seat with a cable, in case I'm somewhere that I can't carry...

As far as the roof rails, I mentioned a while ago in another thread that I'd gotten a set of Thule cross-bars, that take the ski rack that we already had:

View attachment 2396352630

Even without the ski rack attachment, I really don't want to try these cross-bars in a car wash. Which is unfortunate, because they're not the easiest things to get on and off... Colorado doesn't generally use salt on the highways, but I'll still want to wash the Trailhawk after every trip...
Yeah the storage isn’t great. We take our two dogs everywhere we go so there goes putting the seats down. I really like Avid’s rear bumper with the spare tire carrier and hitch which would open up a lot of space for me under the cargo area, but as previously stated, I can’t support a company that won’t contact me back about purchasing their product

We have some really nice car washes here in NC that clean a car like no other. Made the mistake once to drive through it with my rack/awning on and got a souvenir in the form of a foot long piece of the ribbons that broke off once it got hooked on my awning. So needless to say I now resort to hand washing. I justify it by telling myself I’m saving money in the long run.

I’ve thought about a little lockbox like that but sadly the state of the country right now means I never leave a ccw behind unless I plan on drinking a beer somewhere, which is rare

·
Registered
991 Posts
sadly the state of the country right now means I never leave a ccw behind unless I plan on drinking a beer somewhere, which is rare
Well, Colorado (maybe surprisingly for an on-paper all-Blue state, or maybe not) is pretty laid-back about that sort of thing. Hardly any Ghostbusters signs up, even at businesses that are known for it elsewhere. And it's merely potential trespassing if you don't see the sign.

Places like medical clinics are commonly posted, and I respect it. And concert venues...

And of course there are places prohibit by law.

So I do get to use the lock box occasionally... Fortunately there's a lot of room for a fairly large one...

Interestingly, county offices here in El Paso County merely prohibit "open display"...

·
Registered
514 Posts
I try not to accelerate too hard, but sometimes it’s unavoidable. I’m use to sports cars with manual gearboxes so I admit I have a lead foot sometimes lol

I love the rear power port. Use to use it for a cheap air compressor that died pretty quick after a few uses. Also used it for the corded dremel I used to cut my fender for the ladder install.
my compressor is really old but works like a champ must be forty years old and made in USA.
Lead footing when pulling a load is not a good idea. But what the heck, you only live once.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts

Renegade Ready Ladder

View attachment 2396352622 View attachment 2396352623 View attachment 2396352624
Just to make sure a 225/65/17 tire will fit the OEM 17X6.5 rim with no rubbing issues.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Love the color, that was my second choice to Sting Gray for my 19 TH. I've found it to be super capable stock too, I've wheeled it decently hard. The valkyrie rear diff skid and Rocky Road rock sliders have paid for themselves many times over in avoiding expensive damage. Other mods are just Toyo Open Country AT3s up a size from stock. I put a 1.5" Teraflex lift on but took it off after a couple weeks. The vibration from the extra angle on the CVs during hard acceleration was annoying (I think 1.3s have different CVs than the 2.4s, I've seen quite a few people complain on this on the 1.3, less so on the 2.4). Plus there was a clunk from the rear that I could never figure out - went away after I took the lift off. Plus, since you are spacing the rear subframe down, your lowest point is still the same as stock. Hence why I decided it's not worth dealing with the vibrations and clunks.

I got mine with all the features I wanted (leather, panoramic sunroof) except the tow package. I added I for about $500, including a new Mopar hitch, new Mopar bumper cover cut for the hitch, bezel, and curt wiring.
Tire Sky Wheel Cloud Car

Tire Cloud Car Vehicle Sky

Reactions: IDoMy0wnRacing
1 - 12 of 12 Posts