Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Islander
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from the dealership and they told me that the 2021's don't have the ability, even through their scan tools, to check how much oil life is remaining. I don't put on a ton of miles so I'm coming up on one year since purchase (new) and a little over 6,000 miles with no oil change light. Is it worth checking with other dealerships? Or, does anyone know if AlfaOBD can check this? (If so, I'd much rather spend money on that than spend any more time at dealerships.)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
As you know, there's no fixed mileage- or time-based oil change recommendation. It's all based on how the vehicle's computer calculates how hard the engine's been worked -- how long the vehicle is driven each trip, what kind of RPMs, and like that.

The system doesn't actually do a physical analysis of the oil. So there's no way of knowing how much oil life is remaining.

I'd just add that the 2021 Owner's Manual, for both types of engines, says that oil and filter replacement "in any case should not exceed one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km)."

So it's going to be time to change real soon in any case, even though you've only got 6K miles.

I had the oil changed under warranty in my 2021 Trailhawk (1.3T engine) last month at just under one year, and 4,500 miles. We're retired now, and don't drive near as much as we used to when commuting. And in any case, with a turbo, I've always used 5,000 miles (or one year) as an oil change interval.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I know this seems simple, but you can change the oil at any interval you feel is appropriate as long as you don't go past the warning when it comes on. It doesn't hurt anything to do an oil change at 3k, 5k, or 7.5k. If you feel better doing it earlier, go for it. The dealership will gladly do it.

·
Registered
2021 Islander
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I suppose there's no issue with changing the oil more often than recommended. Can the oil life be reset before the minder displays? If the ecu thinks that I've driven especially hard, it'd be nice to know to know and adjust accordingly. One of my concerns is that I inadvertently exceed the calculated interval and risk voiding my warranty (which not being able to check the oil could certainly contribute to).

·
Registered
2021 Renegade Trailhawk
82 Posts
Wife won’t a few hundred miles past the warning on her second oil change on our 21TH. Dealer said it was fine and didn’t void the warranty. Not sure if the have a mileage limit tho. Granted we also live 80 miles from the dealer in the middle of nowhere so they understand.

Also of note, we had to have the brake fluid flushed and replaced. Was told it has to be done every 2 years to keep the warranty on the brakes valid. That I’m not sure about, but again dealer had it done along with all new air, and cabin filters. I guess if it keeps my 100k warranty valid and it’s not coming out of my pocket, I’ll do whatever they want.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I suppose there's no issue with changing the oil more often than recommended.
Well, that's the point. If you're coming up on a year, you're right at the recommended interval.

Can the oil life be reset before the minder displays?
I'm certain it can. In fact, I know the dealer reset it when they changed mine last month, (just) before the one-year point. The service reminder hadn't come up yet; and it's not on now, past the one-year point...

Also of note, we had to have the brake fluid flushed and replaced. Was told it has to be done every 2 years to keep the warranty on the brakes valid. That I’m not sure about
Yup, that's pretty universal. Brake fluid absorbs moisture over time, and that can affect braking over time. Changing every two years has been specifically recommended for every car I've ever owned.

And my 2021 Owner's Manual specifies: "Replace brake fluid every two years. ... The brake fluid change interval is time based only, mileage intervals do not apply."

You're certainly not gonna die at the two-years-plus-one-month point. But you can't overlook that...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I suppose there's no issue with changing the oil more often than recommended. Can the oil life be reset before the minder displays? If the ecu thinks that I've driven especially hard, it'd be nice to know to know and adjust accordingly. One of my concerns is that I inadvertently exceed the calculated interval and risk voiding my warranty (which not being able to check the oil could certainly contribute to).
My god, whatever did we do before in car computers? Lets see, maybe write mileage at oil change plus 5000 mi on post it note to and stick on inside of eindshield?

·
Registered
2021 Islander
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My god, whatever did we do before in car computers? Lets see, maybe write mileage at oil change plus 5000 mi on post it note to and stick on inside of eindshield?
We can all change our oil whenever we want. I hope it's not too inappropriate for me to ask a question in a how-to forum about how to check my remaining oil life.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Lets see, maybe write mileage at oil change plus 5000 mi on post it note to and stick on inside of eindshield?
That's exactly what dealers and other oil-change places did. They had a little sticker on which they wrote the mileage of the next oil change, and stuck it somewhere in the car.

In fact, my Jeep dealer did exactly that last month when I had the initial under-warranty oil change. Stuck the sticker on the top-left corner of the windshield. That got taken off immediately...

·
Registered
2021 Islander
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked through the service history on mopar.com for my vehicle and saw there's an entry for an oil change about 6 months ago that wasn't noted on my service invoice. It was in the shop for over a month for warranty work, and they put on around 500 miles, so maybe that explains why the minder hasn't come on for me.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I looked through the service history on mopar.com for my vehicle and saw there's an entry for an oil change about 6 months ago that wasn't noted on my service invoice. It was in the shop for over a month for warranty work, and they put on around 500 miles, so maybe that explains why the minder hasn't come on for me.
I'm sure that's what happened -- they reset the reminder indicator at that time, if they chaged the oil.

But your reminder wouldn't have come on anyway if you were just approaching the on-year point when you started this thread.

I'm not sure why they changed the oil six months ago... I mean, you were way short of one year, and with maybe 3K miles. Your indicator wasn't on then, with some really rough driving...?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts