Jeep Renegade Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I would love 8th. Mine at 95 is still in 7th.
Interesting. Mine was in 7th gear doing about 60 MPH. Not sure when it up-shifted to 8th...

Took mine on same route and only got 7.
How fast were you going in 7th, and how fast was the 2022 going in 9th? Which engines?

In any case, I still think that, with nine gears, it wouldn't make sense for the transmission to be maxed out in top gear when "only" going 80 MPH. considering that in Europe top Autobahn speed can be almost 1-1/2 times faster...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Took it up to 95 and tach was at 4800 in 7th gear. Let off and coasted 1/2 mile and no shift. Jeeps official answer is "You are not driving it fast enough". That is what they wrote in the Star Case. It has to hit a certain parameter to go into 8th. Drove a 2022 Renegade and it went into 8th at 67 MPH. Told dealership to take program from 2022 and put it in my 2021. Said it was not that easy. Was supposed to have a field engineer to meet but Jeep refused me that too. Said no reason to. Went to order a 2022 and they are 6 mo. out min. due to "issues". Ralph the case manager told me I would have a field engineer to see me, and I should get a second opinion. Today I am getting the second opinion. Obviously, the Jeep cares in this forum really does not care. I paid for 9 gears and have to settle for 7. There is a major programming problem in these cars, a 2022 works fine and my 2 2021's do not!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I would love 8th. Mine at 95 is still in 7th.
Yeah... While I'd say that -- in my case -- 8th gear/2500 RPM at 80 MPH is pretty-reasonable, 7th gear at 95 MPH isn't.

You've got a 2021. Did you ever tell us which engine? Because again my Trailhawk is a 2021, with the 1.3T engine.

Dealer took 2022 out and it was in all 9 gears.
Do you know at what speed the dealer's 2022 shifted up into 9th gear?

I did hit 8th gear , never was able to get to 9th .
"Never" may depend on how fast you were going. :) So similar question... What speed were you going when you hit 8th gear?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
It was at 83 mph I saw it switch to 8th
OK... Like I said, at a steady 80 MPH (straight-and-level), mine was (already) in 8th gear.

Were you accelerating, going downhill, or straight-and-level?

And how did you "see it switch"? The only way to tell which gear it's in, as far as I know, is to tap the gearshift lever to the left at speed. It then shows the current gear, but wouldn't be shifting (unless you slow or speed way down).

Or did you have it in Manual (lever tapped to the left) while you were accelerating through all the gears? I'm not sure how that would affect the shifting...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Auto. Have tried steady speed, adaptive, with the wind and going downhill. If I manually put it in 8th, it stays until I hit a bump in the road and it goes to 7th and stays in 7th. Just came back from a 140 mi. run and 50 mi. is flat as a pancake. It would not shift into 8th even with the 30 mph wind from the back. Jeep said that I was not driving it fast enough. That is simply not the case. Yesterday I drove it 400 mi. and same thing. A Jeep dealer said it is messed up. 2nd Jeep dealership yesterday told me to talk to their service manager Tues. Mine steady at 85 stays in 7th unless I pull it to the left and manually put it in 8th. It is happy until it hits a bump and back to 7th and stays there.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Um :) , I was asking how Berbz72 knew that the transmission upshifted to 8th gear at 83 MPH... You really can't tell when it's in Auto, unless you're counting shifts from a standstill. Or maybe unless you've got the shifter popped into Manual; but then I don't know if that's good for the transmission while accelerating.

I do agree with you, though, that there's something wrong with your transmission, if you're still in 7th gear going 95 MPH...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just found something interesting. There are 2 final drive ratios in the 1.3l Renegades. I am copying and pasting from build sheets.
C635 Dual Dry Clutch Auto Tran 4.438 Final Drive Ratio 1.3L I4 Turbo MAir DI Engine w/ESS Air Cond ATC w/Dual Zone Contro

Leather Wrapped Shift Knob 3.734 Final Drive Ratio Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass Rear Window Defroster

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
both of them. She only drives to work so it is never over 60. I am never under 70.
So what gear is she in with her 80th Edition at a steady 60 MPH? Like I said, my Trailhawk is in 7th gear.

Just found something interesting. There are 2 final drive ratios in the 1.3l Renegades. I am copying and pasting from build sheets.
What do you mean by "build sheets"? I've got the order documents we have from when we special-ordered our 2021Trailhawk, and there's no mention of final-drive ratio...and none on the sticker...

Anyway, that is interesting. The Limited and the 80th Edition are basically the same vehicle mechanically, aren't they? It's just a trim difference?

Let's see... A higher final-drive ratio would mean that, for a given gear with a given gear ratio, the engine would be turning faster than a lower final-drive ratio. Right? Or do I have that backwards?

Which one has which final-drive ratio?

I might expect a different final-drive ratio with the Trailhawk, since it's more designed for offroad use and has other mechanical/suspension differences...

Final-drive ratio is the same as axle ratio, isn't it? And indeed, the 2021 brochure shows that the Trailhawk has an axle ratio of 4.585. Interestingly it calls out the Trailhawk specifically, and doesn't mention the axle ratio(s) for the other models with 1.3T engines...
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Circle

Note that the axle ratio for the Trailhawk is a bit higher than either of yours, which would mean that the Trailhawk's engine would turn faster than either of your two Renegades (assuming they're in the same gear, with the same gear ratio). So it might make sense that my Trailhawk would upshift earlier than your Limited... Or am I really confused? :unsure:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Both are in 7th gear @ 60. That is all you get. If I hand shift to 8th @ 75, it will hold 8th with no problem. When I hit a bump in the road, it goes back to 7th and stays in 7th until you manually shift to 8th. Drove a 2022, it went into 8th without any problem. You hit the nail on the head. The difference in gear ratios must be where the problem is. It just can't pull 75 in 8th on its own with the 3.734 final drive or axle ratio. I also looked at gear ratios in Europe. They are all 4.5 final drive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dallas Zone rep refused to come look at the Limited even after first case worker (Ralph) said it was arranged. Said parameters have to be met and when asked refused to say what they are. Have been back and forth with Jeep Cares and they don't. Two dealers would not even trade when I told them of the problem. Have looked at putting a trailhawk tranny in but no luck so far. I would order a 2022 Trailhawk but they took the luxury package off the table. I have to have adaptive cruise (deer and hog protection).

21 - 35 of 35 Posts