Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! I was at a dealer today to potentially order a Trailhawk and they told me that it's not possible to order a 2022 anymore (is it true?). The 2023 Trailhawk, to my surprise, comes with 235/55R17 tires, instead of the usual 215/65R17, which means that they are now 27.2 inches (instead of 28), same as the non-Trailhawk models? I don't understand why this downgrade.
Also, the heated seats are not standard anymore, you need to buy the leather seats...

· Registered
2015 Trailhawk
968 Posts
If it is true that 235/55R17 is the same size as the non-Trailhawk models, I think you answered your own question. Imagine how much easier (less costly) it will be for the factory to deal with only one size of tire. I'm of the opinion that nobody at Stallantis gives a hoot about the baby Fiat's off-road ability at this point in the model's lifespan.

· Registered
2,202 Posts
For 2021 (the year of my Trailhawk), the Jeep brochure shows that there were three different sizes of tires:

-- Trailhawk: 215/65R17 (which mine indeed came with)

-- Limited and Latitude: 215/60R17

-- Sport: 215/65R16

By the way, to my surprise if you understand tire sizing and aspect ratio, it looks like they had theoretically quite-different circumferences:

-- Trailhawk: 87.9"

--Limited/Latitude: 85.3" for the Limited/Latitude

-- Sport: 84.8"

That's more than a 3" circumference difference between the three tires, which means the speedometers would have had to have significant calibration differences to display the correct speed.

If the 2023 Trailhawk indeed comes with 235/55R17 tires, they would have a theoretical circumference of 85.3" --coincidentally identical to the 2021 Limited/Latitude.

The question is, what the dimensions are of a 215/65R17 tire are (like the ones that came with my 2021 Trailhawk), compared to a 235/55R17? Yes, that results in a bit smaller diameter than my 2021 Trailhawk's.

But just by 0.8" -- which again I assume the speedometer is calibrated for. On the other hand, they'd be nominally 20mm wider. Whether that's better for offroad conditions or for snow, I don't know. I think yes to the first in general, but no to the second.

The Trailhawk has a lot of wheel-well gap anyway because of the increased suspension height; so I doubt the 0.8" difference would be very noticeable. And the "skinny" 215 tires on my 2021 Trailhawk are kind of noticeable...

· Registered
2,202 Posts
the jeepster had 19" , maybe they are going with a more offroad type
Yeah, I thought that some Renegade models used to come with larger-wheel and lower-aspect tires -- so better suited for highway use. Never really made sense to me, if you're getting a "toaster" Renegade...

The Jeepster wasn't available after 2020, was it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts