Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just ordered up as set of these tires as im sick of the road tread on my renegade trying to hydroplane around every corner. i also ordered a set of 1" wheel spacers just in case. anyone running this size tire on their renegade? mine is a latitude awd with no lift and the stock 16" wheels.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yes, i got the Geolandar G003 Mud tires (2015 limited) and with no spacers or liftkit. 225/65/r17.
No rubbing, but the road noise... that's a whole different discussion :oops::)
Yeah.... MT's are not exactly designed for a quiet ride. lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
i just ordered up as set of these tires as im sick of the road tread on my renegade trying to hydroplane around every corner. i also ordered a set of 1" wheel spacers just in case. anyone running this size tire on their renegade? mine is a latitude awd with no lift and the stock 16" wheels.
I have 225/65/17 Toyo open country AT3 on my factory wheels, I added 1” spacers and I have a 1.5” teraflex lift kit. I only occasionally get rubbing when the wheel is turned all the way to the left.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
going by the tire calculator, the 225/75-r16 will be about 3/4" taller than the 225/65-r17's. im not concerned about the road noise too much. i already have the exhaust straight piped to the tail, so its already a bit loud. i was thinking though, would bed liner applied behind the wheel well plastic cut down on road noise some?

·
Registered
97 Posts
going by the tire calculator, the 225/75-r16 will be about 3/4" taller than the 225/65-r17's. im not concerned about the road noise too much. i already have the exhaust straight piped to the tail, so its already a bit loud. i was thinking though, would bed liner applied behind the wheel well plastic cut down on road noise some?
If the tire your looking at will be 3/4“ taller than mine I would wonder if it will fit in the wheel well. My tires are already really close to the edges.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the tire your looking at will be 3/4“ taller than mine I would wonder if it will fit in the wheel well. My tires are already really close to the edges.
thats what i was wondering myself. im not opposed to a little trimming to get them to fit, because to go with the smaller size would have required i buy 17" wheels. if i fit 40" tires under my jku, i can fit these under my renegade.

·
Registered
97 Posts
thats what i was wondering myself. im not opposed to a little trimming to get them to fit, because to go with the smaller size would have required i buy 17" wheels. if i fit 40" tires under my jku, i can fit these under my renegade.
wonder if 225/65/16 would do the trick, that would be slightly less wide. also i've heard a heat gun would do help move the plastic where the tires rub.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
the 65 would be 65% of the treadwidth, which would make the overall height perfect, except they dont make a M/T tire in 225/65-16. the only option would be the 17" rim, but i didnt want to spend the extra $4-500 on wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
2 new Geolanders last Wednesday for me. 215x60x17 and alignment, valves etc. (£230 supply and fit). I've just returned from a 600 mile fishing trip only to have the low tyre warning come on. TPMV dropped off inside the tyre 200 mile from home. Getting replaced on Monday but I do digress a little.

The Jeep sounds very road quite with new tyres on the front and the rear were also recently replaced. Tyre model was something like a 0050 meant for All Terrain and they have never let me down in the rain.

Trevinator mentioned aquaplaning! A few things can cause that ie low tyre pressure, high tyre pressure or low tyre tread.

Glad to see you seek new tyres.(y)(y)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2 new Geolanders last Wednesday for me. 215x60x17 and alignment, valves etc. (£230 supply and fit). I've just returned from a 600 mile fishing trip only to have the low tyre warning come on. TPMV dropped off inside the tyre 200 mile from home. Getting replaced on Monday but I do digress a little.

The Jeep sounds very road quite with new tyres on the front and the rear were also recently replaced. Tyre model was something like a 0050 meant for All Terrain and they have never let me down in the rain.

Trevinator mentioned aquaplaning! A few things can cause that ie low tyre pressure, high tyre pressure or low tyre tread.

Glad to see you seek new tyres.(y)(y)
the simple reason for the hydroplaning is that the tires that are currently on my jeep are the factory tires from 2015, which are hard, weatherchecked slightly(just noticed the other day) and low on tread. with the renegade having a tendency to understeer through corners without water on the road, its down right scary when it hydroplanes around a corner!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like you need to do a pinch seam mod and be done with it.
i dont think i'll need to do that to clear these tires, but we'll see. i think i might get away with trimming the mudflaps a little, but it'll be close. on my wrangler, i took a sawzall to the tub in the rear wheel well to clear the 40's. took about a 3"x5" section out of the lower corners on that. im not afraid of a little cutting. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just got the new tires in the mail today and MAN do they look beefy! definitely going to take some doing to get them to fit without rubbing though.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I saw a post on here where a person fit 235/70r16 with just a bit of room. Yours appears to be 3/10ths of an inch bigger in diameter so maybe it won't be too bad.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
definitely need to modify the pinch seam to fit them without rubbing. i have the one side folded over, now just need jb weld to seal it up and then paint it and do the other side. going to use a sheetmetal screw to fasten the wheel well to the pinch seam area. this is how close the tire is to the pinch seam with 1" spacers on the stock wheels with no lift.

definitely need the wheel spacers to clear the front strut, but the rear should fit no problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
got one tire mounted on the rim today so i could check clearances. got the drivers side finished, now just need to get the other three mounted and then clearance the passenger side. drivers side clears at full lock with the fender liner on! :cool: will gain a little clearance once the other side is on too. with the passenger side being shorter, its pulling down on the drivers side a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
I admire you for taking the time and effort to destroy your wheel arch, sorry to amend the structure around your wheel.

For me really chunky tyres look excellent when fitted properly and in proportion to the wheel arch. There have been many outstanding alterations made over the last few years that I have been here. This isn't doing it for me at all. Hey, I understand, each to their own and if you are happy then I am happy.

Keep posting the pictures, its how we all learn.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts