Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a lifelong Mopar guy (50+ years) who only bought this reskinned Fiat because there wasn't much else in the way of manual trans small 4-bys. I came out of a stone-ax reliable 2000 Cherokee that was a faithful winter beater (even though also not really a Mopar....)

Mine's a Latitude, Abarth engine, cold weather package, 6.5" UConnect/Nav.

3000 miles on the clock. Some early impressions now backed up by reasonable seat time. First, the good:

> Quicker than I expected.
> Trans shifts flawlessly and the gear ratios are BRILLIANT.
> Styling draws lots of looks (mine is Orange), also a chick magnet
> Overall I'm relatively satisfied.

Now the so-so...

> Electric power steering is pretty dead on-center, wanders some
> Gas mileage as advertised (on 91), really should do better
> Seats look like they should be comfortable, but aren't great. My '99 Neon ACR, and the old Cherokee, were much better for long trips. Can't put my finger on it, but lower backaches are a given after 30+ mins.

And the negatives, in order of annoyance:

> The hill-holder is terrible. Way too aggressive, I stalled it 100 times before finally killing it off (and I've driven manuals since 1962). Tied into this is the USELESS electric parking brake. A fix: A simple button somewhere to active the hill-holder only when you really need it (very steep hill, traffic up your butt).
> Worse -- unforgivable: When it stalls, you can't just crank it up and go -- unlike any real Mopar. You must turn the key OFF, reboot, then crank. Try that in the middle of an intersection.
> NAV is horrendous. What more to say? I was told it's be the same as my kid's '14 Viper just a smaller screen. It isn't. I went back to using the cellphone and Google maps. Could saved $1K had I known. This really irks me. Really.
> Whomever designed the oil dipstick and tube needs a lesson in ergonomics and usability. The tube is buried in a dark hole of the plastic trim shroud. Make the tube 1" longer and the problem goes away. Also the book calls the dipstick handle yellow, it is black.

And one straightforward comment:

Except downhill or coasting, the thing is virtually always making boost. I've seen as high as 20+ PSI, 2-4 PSI at 65-70MPH cruise.

Rick Ehrenberg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up, Rick. I've been looking at that same setup, Latitude, 1.4, 6-speed box, cold weather package. The Nav Package doesn't interest me. I've encountered several Renegade owners with that package AND their cell phone holder attached to the windshield. They hate the Nav Package. I've test driven several stick Renegades and went on the GSP running the way I would drive, I'm 65 and have been driving stick exclusively since 1980 (my 1st was a '55 VW before my '66 Goat). I couldn't really feel the turbo kick in at all. First "car" I've ever even seen that had no spare tire. Now your qualms have me rethinking me decision. I wanted the Sierra Blue but would settle for the Orange or yellow. Now driving a 2001 xterra, Solar Yellow, 5-speed, posi-rear, 4x4. Gas millage is awful, but it'll go through anything.

·
Registered
378 Posts
OEM NAV systems are going to be obsolete in the next few years. More and more manufacturers are designing ways of linking the Google Maps from the smartphone into the dash display of the vehicle. It is not a good decision to think the in dash NAV systems being provided today are going to be a good investment.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have an issue with the the electric steering. When the car starts up while using stop start, if you have a lot of lock on the steering, it almost rips the wheel out of your hands. very violent.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am now at 3060 miles.

Right now my biggest issues are

1) Dealerships Jeep work @JeepCares cant say I trust the Jeep brand now, recommending family and friends steer clear.

2) Jeep tough being a misnomer!
2a) The key fob, not at all tough need to get one replaced but having issues doing so. Also way to large.
2b) The roof weight limit is ridiculously low.
2c) The trailer hitch is really weak at a 200 pound weight limit

3) Gas mileage is not close to what was listed

4) No storage space (comparing to my old XB)

5) Sat radio cutting out a lot, and in places where their should be no interference.

6) Bluetooth connection poor, constantly have to re add phone to the system, almost every other time I get in the jeep.

It has done well on icy roads with the stock tires so glad for that! Its been in the 20's here with snow and ice on the roads and the vehicle feels very sure footed. Loaned the Renegade to a neighbor and she said it felt much better than her Liberty and rode better so that was nice to hear.

Smaller size made it much easier to get turned around on some of the trails than the Tundra, also much more pleasant to drive in town than the Tundra, especially when in underground parking garages.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.