Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Jeep Renegade trailhawk with the 6.5 radio. Went to renew my uconnect subscription yesterday and was told that
A. I'd need to do a radio upgrade. ( Whew, I have stories on previous radio upgrades that are NUTS...)
B. Jan 2022 3g is being sunsetted and will no longer work anyhow.
C. Although for other models they have a 4g upgrade in place to make sure the radios will still work with uconnect, as of now with the renegades they do not.

Sooo, just wondering if anyone else is aware of this, has an "older" (I don't consider a car less than 10 years of age to be old) Renegade and has seen, heard or come up with a work around for this.

I know the uconnect stuff is just bells and whistle nonsense but it was a cool add on to start the jeep on cold days when I was not near the vehicle and lock it when I wasn't around.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The "planned obsolescence" method of business of electronic manufacturers should be illegal. I have no idea why this is accepted and the only solution is to upgrade your perfectly good radio. Point in case; my parents bought this massive wood cased AM/FM radio, that uses vacuum tubes, back in the early 50's. I still listen to it today, it works fine. Not apples for apples, but still.

We have become a disposable society and don't think twice about buying the latest and greatest, whether needed or not. Manufacturers realize this so they have no qualms about throwing out the "no longer supported" statement because they know you'll buy new. They should be forced to keep legacy technology active when they upgrade to newer, not literally force customers to spend more money to continue getting what they originally paid for.

Especially for a 6 year old radio.

My first experience was with my cell phone. I was notified that my analog cell phone would not work after X date, I needed to upgrade to digital, then a new technology. So I had to turn in my perfectly good working cell phone to remain in service. Stupid.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 2.4L
159 Posts
Here I am trying to catch up on the latest happenings with these Renegades, and I'm really wishing I hadn't read this post lol. I really appreciate you sharing this information though. I have a 2015 TH (bought it less than a year ago) and it boggles my mind. I had no clue. I understand why, but I am starting to get real crotchety about the fleeting components of these Renegades. I am still getting used to all the "fancy" features of these newer cars. I drove a 2001 Ford Ranger prior, which I was able to tinker with and service myself with a little more ease. This is the cost of convenience, and I'm starting to despise it lol My Renegade broke down about 20 miles out of the nearest town, so I had to get a rental to complete a recent trip. They put me in a 2021 Grand Cherokee, and I barely knew how to work the blasted thing! Now, I know I sound like I'm 100 years old. I'm not and I work in a tech-driven industry, but driving a dang car shouldn't be so fussy and fragile. Now I have to spend more money on an upgrade just to use the features I just started getting used to :LOL:

Have you decided what you plan on doing, or are you going to hold off? Orrrr, are you going to jump ship like so many other Renegade owners have been doing? :p

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My radio doesn't have all the bells and whistles, just the basics. My XM reception is horrible and I learned there was a TSB issued for the antenna base. I went to my dealer, they can replace the known-faulty base......for 500 bucks !! Didn't do it. If my radio goes Tango Uniform, I'll just sing to myself. I am my own best audience.

• Wow
Reactions: MzMarvel20

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 2.4L
159 Posts
If my radio goes Tango Uniform, I'll just sing to myself. I am my own best audience.
$500?! Yeaaaaa, that's a no-go for me. I don't see my Renegade lasting long enough to make that spend worth it. I'll probably just go 00s and use an old mp3 player or something if the radio craps out or if I can no longer connect my phone to the car. It's just disappointing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I called Uconnect customer service on this issue yesterday and was told my 2017 Renegade doesn't have the capability of upgrading to the 4G service so after the phase out it's just going to stop working. Not that I used all of the features but the ability to remotely lock/unlock the door and start the engine is something I will greatly miss. Especially the remote engine start as the range for remote startup using the key fob isn't great to say the least

1 - 6 of 6 Posts