Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me exactly what does the 4WD LOCK function actually do? When I bought the car, I thought it enabled Diff Lock, which I do not think it is the case. The manual is not helpful

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Renegade is essentially an All Wheel Drive vehicle. What makes it different from other, all wheel drive vehicles, is that, the percentage of power distribution to the front wheels and the rear wheels can be changed up for various driving conditions. This is how Jeep gets away with calling the Renegade a 4x4 vehicle. When you engage the 4WD Lock the power distribution is split 50-50 to the front and rear wheels. Selecting different modes changes up the distribution. Snow is 60% front 40% rear, Sand and Mud are the other way around 40% front and 60% rear. There are other features that also work in conjunction with the power distribution, such as stability control, ESP and anti spin control. When 4WD lock is not engaged the Renegade behaves like a front wheel drive vehicle with power going to the front wheels, however, if the front wheels start to spin the system will direct some of the power to the rear until the spin is no longer detected.

·
Super Moderator
1,426 Posts
Hello! it just connects the rear drive-shaft full-time apparently.

It does not engage 4WD or split power 50:50.

It just reduces the AWD system response time when shifting power to the rear.

I was surprised when I read that on this forum.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
As I had it explained to me.

4wd lock is for any condition that you want the vehicle to drive all 4 tires at the same time. Typically Renegades operate as front wheel drive and engage the rear wheels if the front wheels begin to slip.

Simply changing the dial selector to snow, sand, or mud will engage the 4wd lock. The snow and sand modes provide different torque bias front to rear (along with changing the shift patterns) while the mud mode keeps a 50/50 "locked" bias.

Break down,
Auto: fwd until wheel slip occurs then 4wd kicks in, traction control on full alert
Auto 4wd lock: 4wd 50/50 torque bias with traction control and stability control on full alert
Snow: 4wd 60/40 torque bias for better stability, traction control set to snow parameters to allow a little wheel slip
Sand: 4wd 40/60 torque bias for better power delivery, traction control is very limited with stability control dialed back
Mud: 4wd 50/50 torque bias with traction control off and I would guess stability control mostly off
Rock: 4wd 50/50 torque bias with first gear engaged and rear differential locked

Credit to the OP, I can't remember whom it was.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've also noticed that snow mode reduces the throttle response on my 2015 TH. Makes sense, but makes it tough to do doughnuts.:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
As I had it explained to me.

4wd lock is for any condition that you want the vehicle to drive all 4 tires at the same time. Typically Renegades operate as front wheel drive and engage the rear wheels if the front wheels begin to slip.

Simply changing the dial selector to snow, sand, or mud will engage the 4wd lock. The snow and sand modes provide different torque bias front to rear (along with changing the shift patterns) while the mud mode keeps a 50/50 "locked" bias.

Break down,
Auto: fwd until wheel slip occurs then 4wd kicks in, traction control on full alert
Auto 4wd lock: 4wd 50/50 torque bias with traction control and stability control on full alert
Snow: 4wd 60/40 torque bias for better stability, traction control set to snow parameters to allow a little wheel slip
Sand: 4wd 40/60 torque bias for better power delivery, traction control is very limited with stability control dialed back
Mud: 4wd 50/50 torque bias with traction control off and I would guess stability control mostly off
Rock: 4wd 50/50 torque bias with first gear engaged and rear differential locked

Credit to the OP, I can't remember whom it was.
Silly question, what if you disable the traction control in all of the scenarios?

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Silly question, what if you disable the traction control in all of the scenarios?
I am not sure, as far as how it would change the programming.

My example would be, Mud Mode. Turns off the Traction Control and the Electronic Stability Control (ESC), also raises the RPM band.

Before I started playing with Mud Mode; I use to use just the 4WD Lock and disable the Traction Control and the Electronic Stability Control. But the Renegade just didn't have the initial poop to get out of it's own way, if you were stuck, or about to be.

Mud Mode seems to give me just enough to get the tires spinning enough so that I can keep from getting stuck.

** for those that don't know. To disable the Traction Control you press the Traction Control button. To turn it back on, touch it again.
*** to disable the ESC AND the Traction Control; press and hold the Traction Control button for approximately 10 seconds.
Watch the Driver Information Center (DIC)(Instrument panel), you will see the Traction Control disable, followed by Electronic Stability Control disabled message. To turn it ALL back on, press the Traction Control button once.

·
Registered
401 Posts
*** to disable the ESC AND the Traction Control; press and hold the Traction Control button for approximately 10 seconds. Watch the Driver Information Center (DIC)(Instrument panel), you will see the Traction Control disable, followed by Electronic Stability Control disabled message.
I did not know that. Thanks Ed. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the info. I am a little disappointed that 4WDLOCK is a not Diff Lock because this is why I bought the car. Be that as it may, let me say this: The car took me overlanding through Mozambique and Zimbabwe in conditions that require Diff Lock. It did heavy beach sand in Mozambique. It took me through Elephant Sands reserve in Botswana without a hitch, again deep sand so the truth it that I have no complaints regarding the car's capability in sand (it doesnt snow in Southern Africa). Ignorance is bliss!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the info. I am a little disappointed that 4WDLOCK is a not Diff Lock because this is why I bought the car. Be that as it may, let me say this: The car took me overlanding through Mozambique and Zimbabwe in conditions that require Diff Lock. It did heavy beach sand in Mozambique. It took me through Elephant Sands reserve in Botswana without a hitch, again deep sand so the truth it that I have no complaints regarding the car's capability in sand (it doesnt snow in Southern Africa). Ignorance is bliss!
Not to mention Tembe Elephant Park in on the South Africa Mozambique border!

·
Registered
50 Posts
With the Latitude 4x4, when you engage the 4x4 how man wheels receive power? do both rear wheels spin at the same time, like a limited-slip or posi-traction rear? or is it just one in front and one in rear depending upon traction?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts