Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
With the Latitude 4x4, when you engage the 4x4 how man wheels receive power? do both rear wheels spin at the same time, like a limited-slip or posi-traction rear? or is it just one in front and one in rear depending upon traction?
Is this what you mean that was answered by a very knowledgeable member:

As I had it explained to me.

4wd lock is for any condition that you want the vehicle to drive all 4 tires at the same time. Typically Renegades operate as front wheel drive and engage the rear wheels if the front wheels begin to slip.

Simply changing the dial selector to snow, sand, or mud will engage the 4wd lock. The snow and sand modes provide different torque bias front to rear (along with changing the shift patterns) while the mud mode keeps a 50/50 "locked" bias.

Break down,
Auto: fwd until wheel slip occurs then 4wd kicks in, traction control on full alert
Auto 4wd lock: 4wd 50/50 torque bias with traction control and stability control on full alert
Snow: 4wd 60/40 torque bias for better stability, traction control set to snow parameters to allow a little wheel slip
Sand: 4wd 40/60 torque bias for better power delivery, traction control is very limited with stability control dialed back
Mud: 4wd 50/50 torque bias with traction control off and I would guess stability control mostly off
Rock: 4wd 50/50 torque bias with first gear engaged and rear differential locked

Credit to the OP, I can't remember whom it was.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
With the Latitude 4x4, when you engage the 4x4 how man wheels receive power? do both rear wheels spin at the same time, like a limited-slip or posi-traction rear? or is it just one in front and one in rear depending upon traction?
A little more on the rear differential.

The test differential has what we call a “brake lock differential system” is nothing more than good old brake traction control – one wheel spins, it gets braked individually, torque is (in effect) sent to the wheel with traction, on you go. It is not a locking differential at all, and nor is it a limited-slip differential.

·
Registered
54 Posts
thank you very much for the in-depth explanation. I am coming from a lengthy list of rear wheel drive vehicles, most recently a 2001 Xterra SE with limited slip rear and a 5-speed. So this is an entirely new world for me. At least with the Xterra I knew that the rear 2 were constantly engaged, and if I shifted into 4-wheel hi, I had at least 3 engaged. So I am a little unsure exactly how many wheels are engaged with my Latitude since it does not have the Rock option to lock the rear wheels. I am mainly concerned with driving in the snow, rather than on backroad trails. My '82 CJ7 also had the limited-slip rear, as did my '95 4Runner, '97 Tacoma and '77 K5 Blazer and all stick shift as well. This is a new experience for sure, but I love the stick shift with the turbo.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Steamy I am ready for the easy option of manually turning my "4x4 knob" for want of a better description to the SNOW mode.

Having used the car on mud and sand with no issues to launch and recover my boat whilst others with their larger and proper 4x4s with seperate gear shifts have floundered in the water (pardon the pun) :p I don't forsee any issues on snow.

I expect the same will happen in "snow mode" that the car performs admirably. o_O:p

·
Registered
78 Posts
Now THIS is the sort of info. I came here for! :LOL:

And it just snowed last night, with another inch today.
Just got my Jeep back from the dealership this afternoon,snow coming Wednesday into Thursday & Friday.Bought the car in March by then the snow was over.The snow we just had the car was in the bodyshop,haven't seen how it does in snow yet?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Just got my Jeep back from the dealership this afternoon,snow coming Wednesday into Thursday & Friday.Bought the car in March by then the snow was over.The snow we just had the car was in the bodyshop,haven't seen how it does in snow yet?
I have found the Renegade to be great in the snow even with the stock tires that came on it. Right now I have some all-weather tires, the tread is in between a touring tire and a snow tire. It is like a tank now. Really great in the snow.

·
Registered
589 Posts
So can you drive on pavement with 4wd lock Auto on and drive as if its an AWD car?
Yes. Not sure why you would. I imagine it would add a little wear to some drivetrain components but hey, these little Jeeps are pretty much disposable items anyway - so why not?
Edit: You can NEVER drive a Jeep as if it's a "car".

21 - 35 of 35 Posts