Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just joined the forum. Going to the dealer tomorrow to look at Renegades. I test drove one a few days ago and really liked it. My question is - is it necessary to have 4WD?

A little history. I owned a 92 and 99 Cherokee in the past. Both had 4WD. My beloved 99 got stolen about 1-1/2 years ago. They were RWD vehicles and had the old school 4WD. I don't do off-roading but do get the occasional Michigan snowstorm.

Being that the Renegade is FWD, is 4WD as much as a benefit as it is with a RWD vehicle? BTW, this will be my first FWD vehicle. Thanks,

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi, I just joined the forum. Going to the dealer tomorrow to look at Renegades. I test drove one a few days ago and really liked it. My question is - is it necessary to have 4WD?

A little history. I owned a 92 and 99 Cherokee in the past. Both had 4WD. My beloved 99 got stolen about 1-1/2 years ago. They were RWD vehicles and had the old school 4WD. I don't do off-roading but do get the occasional Michigan snowstorm.

Being that the Renegade is FWD, is 4WD as much as a benefit as it is with a RWD vehicle? BTW, this will be my first FWD vehicle. Thanks,
The benefit may not be as much with FWD; but, 4WD in snow is better than either. Over the past few cars that I owned, I had FWD in my vehicles until my 2013 Charger (AWD), and I much prefer AWD or 4WD.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you don't go offroad then you wouldn't get much use out of the 4WD other than when winter storms hit. That said, where I live I wouldn't be without a 4WD vehicle.... When the snow hits (like today) I'm able to travel safely and in the past it has made the difference between being snowbound and getting out. You don't often need 4WD but when you do, you Really do!

If you get a 4WD it opens up a world of more primitive roads and forest trails that can be fun to explore... I'm not talking about extreme 4 wheeling, only the occasional road less traveled. I have some favorite spots along the Lake Superior shore that are only safely accessed in a 4WD vehicle and there are some great sandy roads and trails in N Michigan.

Regardless of what version you choose, I think you'll like the Renegade. I'm sure having fun with mine!
Tim

·
Registered
182 Posts
Do they plow the roads in Michigan? I live in Massachusetts where we get snow and a couple of big storms a winter and once in a while a Blizzard. Even with 4wd I will stay home during a blizzard. The Renegade 4wd I believe has a mechanism that disconnects the drive shaft to the rear wheels when traction is not a problem so you will be driving around in 2wd most of the time anyways. I bought a Trailhawk mostly because it is the best looking one, IMHO.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
404 Posts

For me, a huge part of the reason to buy a Renegade was the 4WD to help navigate Michigan winters.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've driven RWD and FWD cars throughout my life in lake-effect snow ridden NY winters. FWD is definitely better than RWD when it comes to winter driving, but I found my biggest problem was not driveablity on the roads, it was usually being able to get out of an unplowed parking space. Or worse, a plowed in parking space. That's the big reason I wanted an AWD vehicle with a few more inches of ground clearance.

I live in the northtowns of the Buffalo, NY area, and while we may only get a handful of really significant accumulation snow events each winter, I'm going to be very glad to have 4WD.

·
Registered
214 Posts
... I found my biggest problem was not driveablity on the roads, it was usually being able to get out of an unplowed parking space. Or worse, a plowed in parking space. That's the big reason I wanted an AWD vehicle with a few more inches of ground clearance.
Couldn't agree more! I park on the street in Chicago, where snow gets plowed, over and over, to the sides of the road up against all cars. After it melts and re-freezes, some areas are impossible to get in and out of without AWD/4WD and with a few extra inches of clearance.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have been driving an AWD quattro for 19 years. I would find it difficult to go back to 2WD. I would miss the extra sure-footedness and improved grip on slippery surfaces. The Renegade's 4WD, which is really part-time AWD, is, at least to me, preferable to the 2WD version.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live outside of Chicago and, for some reason, decided to settle on the front wheel drive (plan on moving to Washington state someday). Although it gets me from point A to point B, I'm not very confident about it. I've even had trouble getting out of my parking spot which is on a very slight incline. Every time I see a Renegade or other Jeep on the road with that 4x4 badge, I die a little inside. Especially living in Michigan, I would definitely get the 4x4! Learn from my mistake!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great replies and darned good advice.

Down in in FL have had both FWD and 4WD Jeeps. 99% of the time the FWD was satisfactory.

Spent a few years recently in MD and had a 4WD Land Rover. Am pretty good without 4WD in wintery weather, but the 4WD came in quite handy several times when I couldn't wait for road crews to do their thing. So, it's more a matter of where you are and what environments you expect to tackle. I hate to lose to nature....

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the great replies.

I just put a deposit down on a 2015 Latitude 4x4 Black/Black. The pickings were pretty slim on 2015's (southeast Michigan) but my salesman found one at another nearby dealership.
2.4L
Cold Weather Group II
Popular Equipment Group
17" Wheels
Passive Entry/Keyless Go
Remote Start
No NAV (have Garmin Nuvi)
My first choice was Mojave Sand but there were none to be had unless I ordered one.

Should be ready tomorrow or Wednesday

·
Registered
112 Posts
I live in central/south Texas, so snow isn't a concern for me, but I LOVE the way my 4x4 Latitude handles in the rain! I've had other 4wd trucks in the past, but I've never had the "automatic" 4wd feature that the Renegade has. It is amazing how well it handles on slick wet roads, especially when starting out from a stoplight; no wheel spin and great traction. You don't really think about it going into 4wd because it is silent, immediate, and completely automatic, but you sure can feel the difference when driving. I really noticed it when pulling away from a light and the guys next to me are spinning their tires on the wet road and the Renegade just zooms away! One downside is that your mileage will suffer when the 4wd activates, but the positive side is that when you don't need 4wd it is just a FWD vehicle with great mileage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.