Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade 4WD Glacier Metallic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 2017 Latitude 4X4, 4WD or AWD? The name plate on the back hatch says "4X4" but I've also seen it referred to as 4WD or AWD. Or are these terms synonymous? As I understand it, AWD and 4WD differ in the way they distribute torque among the wheels. Also, in what ways are the 4-wheel drive systems in the Latitude and the "trail-rated" Trailhawk different?

4X4.PNG latitiude.jpg trailhawk.jpg

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
706 Posts
My 2¢: Those terms are used differently by different people but do not have an official definition. They are more marketing terms IMO.

Generally, 4x4 is reserved for ‘old school’ vehicles with a separate transfer case that directs the transmission output to either the rear axle alone, or to both the front and rear axles together. Usually, there is no center differential to control the distribution of torque from front to rear.

4WD and AWD are used interchangeably for any drive train that has the hardware to power all 4 wheels. I would say that all Renegades fall into this category. It’s just like most compact SUVs that are basically front-wheel drive with hardware tacked-on to drive the rear wheels when needed.

Others may nitpick the details and have their own opinions.

There’s little difference in the AWD hardware for the Trailhawk. The main hardware difference is a lower ratio for the transmission output. This gives the TH a “crawling” gear (1st). The other differences in the AWD are software-based.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is the 2017 Latitude 4X4, 4WD or AWD? The name plate on the back hatch says "4X4" but I've also seen it referred to as 4WD or AWD. Or are these terms synonymous? As I understand it, AWD and 4WD differ in the way they distribute torque among the wheels. Also, in what ways are the 4-wheel drive systems in the Latitude and the "trail-rated" Trailhawk different?

View attachment 2396350741 View attachment 2396350742 View attachment 2396350743
I recommend a quick search on YouTube for: 4x4 - 4wd - AWD to help you get a better understanding. Unless your really tearing it up off road I would guess your Rene is going to do just fine. As for the difference in Rene models the Trail Hawk offers a few more "off road" capable features which could be helpful if that's your intended usage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2¢: Those terms are used differently by different people but do not have an official definition. They are more marketing terms IMO.

Generally, 4x4 is reserved for ‘old school’ vehicles with a separate transfer case that directs the transmission output to either the rear axle alone, or to both the front and rear axles together. Usually, there is no center differential to control the distribution of torque from front to rear.

4WD and AWD are used interchangeably for any drive train that has the hardware to power all 4 wheels. I would say that all Renegades fall into this category. It’s just like most compact SUVs that are basically front-wheel drive with hardware tacked-on to drive the rear wheels when needed.

Others may nitpick the details and have their own opinions.

There’s little difference in the AWD hardware for the Trailhawk. The main hardware difference is a lower ratio for the transmission output. This gives the TH a “crawling” gear (1st). The other differences in the AWD are software-based.
Thanks so much for the reply! Great info there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recommend a quick search on YouTube for: 4x4 - 4wd - AWD to help you get a better understanding. Unless your really tearing it up off road I would guess your Rene is going to do just fine. As for the difference in Rene models the Trail Hawk offers a few more "off road" capable features which could be helpful if that's your intended usage.
That's a good idea, I didn't think to do that, I just came straight to the forum here. I wasn't sure if AWD was some lesser form of 4WD. It's good to know my 2017 Latitude is a "real" 4-wheel drive. \😁/

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's a good idea, I didn't think to do that, I just came straight to the forum here. I wasn't sure if AWD was some lesser form of 4WD. It's good to know my 2017 Latitude is a "real" 4-wheel drive. \😁/
Well........ AWD is "sort of" a lesser version of 4WD but it still has its place and strengths. To be clear AWD is not same as 4WD. Better if you find a solid YouTube channel to explain it better than I can.

·
Registered
125 Posts
In the video it is stated that the Subaru defaults to rear wheel drive, but the Renegade is driven by the front wheels until all wheel drive is necessary.

From Jeep® 4x4 Systems - Go Anywhere. Do Anything:
"The Jeep® Renegade has two innovative available 4x4 systems that both feature a rear axle disconnect system to seamlessly switch between two-wheel and four-wheel drive. Both Jeep Active Drive Systems can keep you moving forward, even when just one wheel has traction on the ground."

And from Explore with Jeep’s Available 4x4 Systems:
"With the exception of the Renegade Trailhawk and Compass Trailhawk trims, all 4×4 Renegade and Compass models are equipped with the Active Drive 4X4 System. Built to improve performance on a variety of terrains thanks to the adjustable Selec Terrain Traction Management System, the Active Drive 4×4 System is also user-friendly because actively transitions from four-wheel-drive to front-wheel drive, and that makes all models more efficient whether in the city or on the trail.

Built to be specialty off-road vehicles, the Jeep Renegade Trailhawk and Jeep Compass Trailhawk are both equipped with the Active Drive Low 4×4 system, which is a more advanced system than the Active Drive 4×4 System. With Active Drive 4×4 Low System, the Selec-Terrain Traction Management System features an additional sixth setting (rock) and it offers a 20:1 crawl ratio, which is a great feature for those that often drive on rocky terrain."

·
Super Moderator
1,666 Posts
It's all marketing. There's no legal definitions in most territories.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the video it is stated that the Subaru defaults to rear wheel drive, but the Renegade is driven by the front wheels until all wheel drive is necessary.

From Jeep® 4x4 Systems - Go Anywhere. Do Anything:
"The Jeep® Renegade has two innovative available 4x4 systems that both feature a rear axle disconnect system to seamlessly switch between two-wheel and four-wheel drive. Both Jeep Active Drive Systems can keep you moving forward, even when just one wheel has traction on the ground."

And from Explore with Jeep’s Available 4x4 Systems:
"With the exception of the Renegade Trailhawk and Compass Trailhawk trims, all 4×4 Renegade and Compass models are equipped with the Active Drive 4X4 System. Built to improve performance on a variety of terrains thanks to the adjustable Selec Terrain Traction Management System, the Active Drive 4×4 System is also user-friendly because actively transitions from four-wheel-drive to front-wheel drive, and that makes all models more efficient whether in the city or on the trail.

Built to be specialty off-road vehicles, the Jeep Renegade Trailhawk and Jeep Compass Trailhawk are both equipped with the Active Drive Low 4×4 system, which is a more advanced system than the Active Drive 4×4 System. With Active Drive 4×4 Low System, the Selec-Terrain Traction Management System features an additional sixth setting (rock) and it offers a 20:1 crawl ratio, which is a great feature for those that often drive on rocky terrain."
Thanks for the detailed info! Jeep's Active Drive System really is a case of yes AND no, depending on the situation. For me, the Renegade has been a good compromise of fuel economy and all-weather driving.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The more I get to know the terrain options in my 2020TH the more it is about selecting the right one at the right time. It is more than capable if the driver is.

·
Super Moderator
3,442 Posts
Thanks for the detailed info! Jeep's Active Drive System really is a case of yes AND no, depending on the situation. For me, the Renegade has been a good compromise of fuel economy and all-weather driving.
FYI most of that video is wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts