Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple questions. I read that a front wheel/4x4 should not be driven over 60mph in 4x4. Another article stated that they should be not be driven in 4x4 except when necessary to avoid damage. Is this true of the Renegade?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Most manufacturers of selectable 4wd vehicles have a "speed limit" while in 4wd. Just being in 4wd puts a lot of stress on all the driveline components. So you can imagine that going over 60mph in 4wd isn't too healthy...also, chances are that if you can go 60mph in a safe manner at any point, then you probably don't need to be in 4wd anyway. And being in 4wd when it's not needed can indeed cause damage. When in 4wd, all of your tires want to go the same speed. So if all your tires have traction and you go to turn, your 4wd system will bind up and it puts A LOT of stress on a lot of parts. So it's good idea to only use 4wd on surfaces when you know your tires will have the tendency to slip.

And with that said, I wouldn't recommend leaving the renegade in 4wd during the whole winter. If the roads are covered with snow, then throw it in 4wd. But if there is more pavement than snow, I would keep it in 2wd. Besides, the renegade has a feature that automatically engages 4wd if it detects the front tires slipping while in 2wd. Then it reverts back to 2wd when the tires are done slipping. So if you were to hit a little patch of ice or snow while in 2wd, you have that assurance that the extra two tires will kick in when you need it.

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
For 4x4 setups with locking differentials and a gear reducing transfer case, the above is true. The renegade is really an awd system with a center wet clutch, open diffs up front and in the rear, and uses the abs system to provide limited slip.

It can drive all wheels at whatever speed unless jeep programmed it not to cope with that. In the trailhawk there are modes that try to simulate a locked 50/50 split. Those modes are likely not good to drive fast.

·
Registered
125 Posts
A couple questions. I read that a front wheel/4x4 should not be driven over 60mph in 4x4. Another article stated that they should be not be driven in 4x4 except when necessary to avoid damage. Is this true of the Renegade?
Check the owner's manual. If it is a problem it will definitely say there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
4WD is a fully automated system on the Renegade.
When in AUTO mode (on the Selec-terrain), the system prefers the front wheel drive and it engages the 4WD when needed. When you select the 4WD LOCK mode in AUTO mode you engage a permanent traction on the aft wheels; this is automatic in any other Selec-Terrain mode (so you don't need 4WD LOCK if driving in SAND mode, etc.).
The manuale (at least the italian version) says you can't switch between modes above 120 Km/h, not that you can't drive in 4WD LOCK above that speed.
As long as there are no reported limitations, I wouldn't be concerned about the speed: being a fully electronic and automated system, it should take care of that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You will find that running on snow covered roads that it will handle a bit better in the normal or auto drive mode especially turning corners. With it locked in 4wd it will tend to push going around corners when its slick. If you have driven anything with a separate 2 speed transfer case (old school) you probably learned to throttle steer around the corners. in auto mode it will track better.

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Jeep Renegade / Fiat 500X all wheel dive system is sourced by GKN (GKN already worked in the past with FCA for Fiat Panda 4x4).
http://www.gkn.com/media/News/Pages/GKN-develops-first-fully-integrated-all-wheel-drive-system.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ4erCd-vbM

Some of the suppliers can be found here
http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA99774528.PDF

Brake rotors are sourced by Intercar S.p.A. (part of Gruppo OMR).

Suspensions are from Magneti Marelli as well as lights and other parts.
In addition to these, Bosch is the developer/supplier of safety tech such as Forward Collision Warning Plus, Lane Departure Warning, Blind Spot Detection and Park Assist Group.
Video on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2W7f4YQB2I&index=31&list=PLG1NftC4VaWitZ9-k94mZLebCVB8zK3g9

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.