Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my TH a few weeks ago and love it so far. I bought the vehicle because of its looks and not because of its off-road capabilities. Guess the die-hard Jeep lovers would consider me a Jeep "poser"! It is my first Jeep and my first 4x4/AWD car. I am a life-long suburbanite and have never been off-roading, and really have no plans on starting now. The only time I expect to engage the 4x4 system is during snowy conditions. So, my question to the group is: with this being a brand new car do you recommend taking it somewhere and using the 4x4 system? In other words, do I need to “break it in” or do I just leave it alone and not use it until I need it?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would doubt that you need to break it in. That said, I believe it's a good idea to "exercise" the solenoids and such now and then so it wouldn't hurt to take the occasional drive down a dirt road and manually switch in and out of 4x4 a few times. You don't have to off-road but why not get out of town and enjoy the scenery along some of the back roads that must exist in your area.

Tim

·
Registered
499 Posts
The Trailhawk doesn't have a pure 2WD mode - it's always in AWD. Unless you're talking about locking it, in which case no - you don't need to break that in. In AUTO, the system sends power throughout the 4 wheels as need be, so the AWD components are being engaged already.

That said, I would recommend trying out the locked 4WD mode just so you're familiar with its characteristics. Go back to AUTO when you're done. It'll save fuel and wear and tear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, I figure I have no excuse to not get out of my comfort zone and take my TH on a little adventure. I am in Western New York (Buffalo) so I have plenty of options to the north, south and east of the city. Have to start doing a little research and plan a day trip!

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Trailhawk doesn't have a pure 2WD mode - it's always in AWD. Unless you're talking about locking it, in which case no - you don't need to break that in. In AUTO, the system sends power throughout the 4 wheels as need be, so the AWD components are being engaged already.
I had heard this as well regarding the Trailhawk always in AWD mode. Then I read a conflicting thread on here that said the only difference between the Limited 4x4 and the Trailhawk was rock mode setting (software) and the lower gear ratio.

Am I misreading this, or maybe the Limited 4x4 is always AWD as well? I couldn't find anything on the Jeep site that detailed the differences between the two with respect to the 4x4.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had heard this as well regarding the Trailhawk always in AWD mode. Then I read a conflicting thread on here that said the only difference between the Limited 4x4 and the Trailhawk was rock mode setting (software) and the lower gear ratio.

Am I misreading this, or maybe the Limited 4x4 is always AWD as well? I couldn't find anything on the Jeep site that detailed the differences between the two with respect to the 4x4.
There's no conflict. The Trailhawk only comes in 4WD whereas the Limited is available as both FWD and 4WD. If you get the 4WD Limited, then yes the system is identical to the Trailhawk's except for the rock mode.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would doubt that you need to break it in. That said, I believe it's a good idea to "exercise" the solenoids and such now and then so it wouldn't hurt to take the occasional drive down a dirt road and manually switch in and out of 4x4 a few times. You don't have to off-road but why not get out of town and enjoy the scenery along some of the back roads that must exist in your area.

Tim
I Agree! It is a great world out there full of God's Beauty! You should definately get out of the city every once in a while and do some roaming. Now you have a dang good reason too! Go TH

Reactions: LittleRedJeep

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
There's no conflict. The Trailhawk only comes in 4WD whereas the Limited is available as both FWD and 4WD. If you get the 4WD Limited, then yes the system is identical to the Trailhawk's except for the rock mode.
The limited 4wd is 2wd unless 4wd is needed. 4wd on demand.
Is the Trailhawk different? I thought by the videos it was the same.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The limited 4wd is 2wd unless 4wd is needed. 4wd on demand.
Is the Trailhawk different? I thought by the videos it was the same.
Then maybe it is different unless I'm misunderstanding here. The Trailhawk isn't a switchable 2WD/4WD system, it's effectively an AWD system that gives you no way to manually force 2WD.

That said, the AWD system only sends power to the wheels that need it, so it's not a 4WD locked system while in the default AUTO mode. You can manually switch it to a locked mode, as well as a 4WD LOW. And as mentioned, the Trailhawk has the added ROCK mode.

Are we saying the same thing perhaps?

Reactions: syzygy

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Then maybe it is different unless I'm misunderstanding here. The Trailhawk isn't a switchable 2WD/4WD system, it's effectively an AWD system that gives you no way to manually force 2WD.

That said, the AWD system only sends power to the wheels that need it, so it's not a 4WD locked system while in the default AUTO mode. You can manually switch it to a locked mode, as well as a 4WD LOW. And as mentioned, the Trailhawk has the added ROCK mode.

Are we saying the same thing perhaps?
To be honest I have no idea I was asking rather that saying.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The Trailhawk has a 4wd lock button so I assume it must be 2wd most of the time.
It's AWD most of the time - in other words, in the default AUTO mode, it sends power where it thinks it is needed among the four wheels.

Switch to 4WD lock, and you now have more of an off-roading 4X4.

I guess my point is there is no way to force 2WD-only on the Trailhawk. If that's the same with the Limited 4WD, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
It's AWD most of the time - in other words, in the default AUTO mode, it sends power where it thinks it is needed among the four wheels.

Switch to 4WD lock, and you now have more of an off-roading 4X4.

I guess my point is there is no way to force 2WD-only on the Trailhawk. If that's the same with the Limited 4WD, I don't know.
Thanks. I thought it was the opposite. 2wd unless needed.
I suppose the fuel economy will be worse then. Still glad I ordered one though.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
The 4X4 systems, all models, while in Auto Mode, work as follows.

In normal dry conditions on smooth pavement where all four wheels are going the same speed, the car is driven by the front wheels. The transfer coupler is disconnected from the drive shaft. The drive shaft is disconnected from the rear axle too so the rear wheels are free-wheeling thereby saving fuel.

The instant the front wheels go faster than the rear wheels (as in tire slip), the couplers lock and power is sent to the rear axle for added traction. When all four wheels go the same speed again, the couplers disengage once again reverting to FWD. This is seamless and won't likely be noticed by the driver.

The 4WD lock will keep the couplers locked and all four wheels will drive. The other modes (sand, snow, etc.) will lock the rear drive with various percentages front to rear to provide the best traction for the surface and alter the computer settings (throttle & transmission) to accommodate the road surface.

Rock mode on the Trailhawk will start in 1st gear (it always starts in 2nd otherwise while in drive). The 1st gear with its lower final drive ratio gives it the 20:1 "crawl" ratio.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hmm the manual mentions snow mode starts off in second as its differentiator. Are you sure all modes other than rock start in 2nd?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Weird, I can't edit my previous post to add this, so I had to create a new reply.

SELEC-TERRAIN™
Selec-Terrain™ combines the capabilities of the vehicle control systems, along with driver input, to provide the best performance for all terrains.

Mode Selection Guide
Rotate the Selec-Terrain™ knob to select the desired mode.

Selec-Terrain™ Switch
• AUTO: This four-wheel drive operation is a continuous operation, is fully automatic and can be used on and off road. This mode balances traction to ensure maneuverability and acceleration improvement compared to a car with two wheel drive. This mode also reduces fuel consumption, since it allows the disconnect of the drive shaft where conditions permit.
• SNOW: This mode allows you to have greater stability under conditions of bad weather. For use on and off road on surfaces with poor traction, such as roads covered with snow. When in SNOW mode (depending on certain operating conditions), the transmission may use second gear (rather than first gear) during launches, to minimize wheel slippage.
• SAND: For off-road driving or use on surfaces with poor traction, such as sandy bottoms. The transmission is set to provide maximum traction.
• MUD: For off-road driving or use on surfaces with poor traction, such as roads covered by mud or wet grass.

Selec-Terrain™ Switch (Trailhawk)
• ROCK (Trailhawk only): This mode is only available in 4WD LOW range. The device sets the vehicle to maximize traction and allow the highest steering capacity for off-road surfaces. This mode gives you the maximum performance off-road. Use for low speed obstacles such as large rocks, deep ruts, etc.
NOTE:
• Rock mode is only available on the vehicles equipped with the Off-Road package.
• Activate the Hill Descent Control or Selec Speed Control for steep downhill control. See “Electronic Brake Control System” in this section for further information.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but the renegade had a disconnecting rear axle. It can switch from 4 x 4 into FWD mode when the "Select-Terrain" is in Auto mode. This is written in the 2015 Jeep Renegade brochure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.