Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, when the tranny shifts into 5th gear I get this strange feeling in the pedals, it's not quite a vibration but it's definitely different feeling and sounding.

I never noticed this before but it seems to happen in 5th because whenever I hear it, I shift into M to see what gear it is.

FWIW I'm a gentle driver and stay in auto mode.

The sound can be best described has sharp and metallic. This don't affect performance nor MPGs. Just wondering if anyone got this.

·
Registered
72 Posts
OK, when the tranny shifts into 5th gear I get this strange feeling in the pedals, it's not quite a vibration but it's definitely different feeling and sounding.

I never noticed this before but it seems to happen in 5th because whenever I hear it, I shift into M to see what gear it is.

FWIW I'm a gentle driver and stay in auto mode.

The sound can be best described has sharp and metallic. This don't affect performance nor MPGs. Just wondering if anyone got this.
It's normal, most of the gears in the ZF 9-speed are traditional clutch packs that allow some slippage, whereas the shift from 4-5 and from 7-8 uses dog clutches that have to completely disengage the engine like a manual transmission to mesh.

This video explains it beautifully:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7EMGnjEhmE

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm so glad I watch random videos at 11pm... Learned something new today! I'll have to keep an eye on my shifting, hadn't noticed/thought about it much!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am getting a very audible thunk when shifting into 5th. This happens under light throttle application.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i have the same type of issue with my 16 Renegade Trailhawk; 1300 miles on it and am feeling vibrations through the pedal between 29-34 mph and a grrring sound as vehicle decelerates. Has anyone else had this issue/concern? Dealership says this is because of the high gearing in the Trailhawk but not comfortable with that reasoning and looking for other input/advise.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The noise doesn't seem to affect performance or mileage, and with 2+ years of basic warranty and 4 + years of power train warranty there's no cause for worry IMO. It maybe just a characteristic of the 9 speed. Just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
46 Posts
as i mentioned in previous posts; my renegade goes back in this wed to once again deal with the grring/vibrating sounds; this is what the service dept stated on the 1st attempt weeks ago.

customer: driving between 30 to 34 mph customer heres grinding and vibration through gas pedal.

dealer: couldnt duplicate abnormal vibration at this time. only think noticed is when cruising at this speed vehicle is usually in higher gear which lugs the engine and causes different driveline tones.

·
Registered
782 Posts
lance77tour, I've the same situation with mine. Dealer is clueless. More on this but I simply don't have the time right now...especially to deal with my incompetent dealer's service department.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So dealership along with a Chrysler rep that happened to take a drive in my 16 Trailhawk states that the rumbling noise in the rear couldnt be duplicated and speedometer being +/-1 on flat ground as being normal. Funny that i took the service mgr for a ride and guess what there the noise was and then took him for a ride in another renegade guess what the noise also repeated itself in that renegade that couldnt be duplicated. So, they will supposedly figure out the issue on the renegade and then fix my traihawk.

·
Registered
46 Posts
09-02-16 Update

So, my Jeep Wave complaint made it up to the Resolutions Team to try and figure out a resolution to the issues I am having with the rumbling/vibration noise as well as the cosmetic damage to my bumper they caused.

Lady stated well if there are hundreds of posts about rumbling/vibration issues on this forum then maybe the renegade is supposed to sound that way by Chrysler and engineers.

I said "UHM F-ing NO", okay didnt say F-ing but told her that I am not driving this vehicle 6-7 days a week between 29-34 mph while hearing this 20+ times a week. That is not acceptable. If me and other renegade owners would have known about this, we wouldnt have bought it and/or even test drove it in that mph range.

Told her I offered the dealership the return of jeep at full purchase price wouldnt charge them for the accessories that were bought for it that cant be removed unless they want to cause more cosmetic damage. At the least would take a similiar jeep not a renegade like the cherokee that i had previously test drove.

She is supposed to follow-up with me every 2-3 days with an update. I will update you all as well.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I will be so thankful to anyone, anybody who finds out the cure to this! Please offer no solutions to replace your transmission, rear differential module, or rear differential. It seems like these are band-aids over the long haul. I still firmly believe that the 9-speed auto is cursed with these symptoms until Jeep wakes up and smells the coffee on this one!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same issue. After taking it in a couple times and requesting a mechanic come along for a test drive it was determined that it was the valve body. My adviser kept on telling me updates on the computer would fix it. Request a test drive with the shop manager or transmission expert. They'll fix it. I haven't had an issue since switching out the valve body.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been taking my Jeep Renegade back and forth to the dealer for three months and finally decided to check the web and here we are. They could not find any problem to fix but they did feel it and were able to duplicate the issue. We hopped in another Renegade on the lot and it did the same thing. That immediately made the "problem" not a problem and just the way they are built. I'm not happy about this as it feels like a design flaw, but I'm going to go back and watch the video. Unless Jeep does a recall I think we're SOL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts