Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a very audible thunk when shifting into 5th. This happens under light throttle application, such as accelerating to 30 mph. I will accelerate to ~32 mph, at which time I have to lift because I am also going slightly down hill. The trans will hold 4th for a bit, then "THUNK", it shifts to fifth. It is getting louder also.

To add to the intrigue, the trans still can't figure out what gear to start in. Sometimes it will do second, sometimes first. Half the time when I try to start off easy, the engine will pull power, think for a bit, then jerk forward. I had the software updated a few months ago. Didn't help anything.

I am starting to miss the old three speed automatics. I am even eyeing a 1980 Mercury Capri to use as a DD and only use the Rene when it snows.

Latitude, 2.4, 9 speed,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had the same exact issue you describe to a T. They had to end up replacing the transmission after I made a big enough stink about the issue. The hard shift / thunk from 4th to 5th got progressively worse until the transmission was replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
5th Gear Thunk

Hello,

I am having the same exact issue. So far I have taken the jeep in for service 3 times and they have said that it is "performing as designed". What were you able to do to get them to replace the transmission? 77Cherokee do you have any updates?

-Latitude, 2.4 9 Speed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.