Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...i did a thing again

Spoke with Bill at Exedy and they are going to get me some info on a replacement clutch. No I didn't kill mine again lol, but I want to be prepared.

Anyhow, it'll be a Stage 1 clutch which is 40% more holding power than OEM. Also, gonna ditch the stupid dual mass flywheel and move to a single mass unit. That'll make this 1000000% better to drive and not fall the f**k apart the first time you give it some stress.

I will keep everyone posted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Keep us posted. I really hate this stock clutch. Grabs so slowly. Takes forever to take off.

So...i did a thing again

Spoke with Bill at Exedy and they are going to get me some info on a replacement clutch. No I didn't kill mine again lol, but I want to be prepared.

Anyhow, it'll be a Stage 1 clutch which is 40% more holding power than OEM. Also, gonna ditch the stupid dual mass flywheel and move to a single mass unit. That'll make this 1000000% better to drive and not fall the f**k apart the first time you give it some stress.

I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I shall and Exedy is actually interested because there are so many vehicles with this engine now :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
One thing I have wondered is if the dual mass flywheel is there for vibration absorption (transmission protection) on the 1.4t or is it more of a driveability thing? I can live with a single mass flywheel, but is having a single going to shake the transmission apart?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's for driveability, we've been using single mass flywheel for 100 years and "first world problems need a dampened unit......

Anyhow, the single mass flywheel will be an improvement on clutch feel as well as acceleration because of less moving crap. Unless you opt for a race clutch or some such, you likely won't notice any difference in feeling tbh.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another thing, remove the clutch delay valve and you'll be 100000x happier. I'm gonna do it while doing the clutch as soon as they come up with one for me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Another thing, remove the clutch delay valve and you'll be 100000x happier. I'm gonna do it while doing the clutch as soon as they come up with one for me.

Wonder if you can drill out like with some BMW's? My mustang had a single mass and I did notice that the grab point was much much less vague than on the Renegade, but it wasn't a hydraulic clutch either.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes you can, but you can also just pull the line and pull all the crap out and there ya go. It's actually really easy, just haven't done it yet myself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hit the 10000 mile mark recently. Have noticed my clutch isn't as... Ok as it once was. Lol. Was pulling out in to highway one day. Had some slip, smelt some burnt, and got a little worried. Any advice?

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you clutch slips with the pedal all the way out you need a new clutch. Period. If you smelled it while accelerating with the clutch partially out the you are being too hard on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You guys need to learn how to drive a manual transmission with clutch. This is the same engine/clutch/tranny as on the Fiat Abarth. Some of them are 100K+ on the same clutch. My Audi A4 (that I replaced with my 1.4T 6MT Renegade) was at 140K with the same clutch, no issues. Next time, just get an automatic, OK?

·
Registered
128 Posts
You guys need to learn how to drive a manual transmission with clutch. This is the same engine/clutch/tranny as on the Fiat Abarth. Some of them are 100K+ on the same clutch. My Audi A4 (that I replaced with my 1.4T 6MT Renegade) was at 140K with the same clutch, no issues. Next time, just get an automatic, OK?
In general I agree with you, however you must remember the Abarth is a featherweight next to the Renegade, meaning power being applied through from a stop to fully engaging the clutch is going to be longer and require a bit more force. They can't really be compared in a vacuum.

·
Registered
52 Posts
@CB Jeep. I'm sure that's the issue. In 20 years of driving everything from lifted trucks to rice burners I've never had any clutch or tranny issues. I'm glad you have an opinion but go be a dick somewhere else, troll.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Reactions: BlisteredMunkey

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ummmm....no it isn't

The 1.4T is the same engine, but the trans and clutch are totally different. For starters, it has another gear.

Most people are doing Abarth clutches around 30-40k modded and 60k or so not. I have one, I ought to know.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts