Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Like I said, learn how to drive a clutch. Don't rev the engine then let out the clutch and slip it it until motion occurs. You are burning it. Instead, let out the clutch until it starts to bite, then give it gas. Minimal slippage, smooth takeoff.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Glad you overlooked your glaring mistake regarding the trans differences ;)

Anyhow, I'll check up with them and see what the status is on development.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
Having to replace a clutch at 60,000 miles bothers me. We sold our 2004 xB to our friend, it still had the original clutch. Only slipped when it was below zero, or you pushed it really hard. It had 235,000 miles on it. Was hoping to get to 100,000 on the Jeep without doing anything major like that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you clutch slips with the pedal all the way out you need a new clutch. Period. If you smelled it while accelerating with the clutch partially out the you are being too hard on it.
In my experience you have to give it a tad more gas than idle revs to get the clutch engaged without killing it. Like I said, it's more mass to move. I shiver at the thought of slipping the clutch for any length of time, but in the equation of clutch release vs throttle, you can't really wait to apply any gas until it bites, not most of the time anyway.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Very briefly, is there a AC cut-off switch on the compressor when we mash the go pedal?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
was hoping to get to 100,000 on the Jeep without doing anything major...
I got 160k on my xA and still had 20% left. Light car and good clutch.

But I may get 100k out of the Renegade as I do 25k a year all highway, very little clutching.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Very briefly, is there a AC cut-off switch on the compressor when we mash the go pedal?
WOT switch yes, most everything newer than 2000 has that feature.

Anyhow, from first hand experience - this clutch isn't gonna last long even if you only do highway driving. The disc is extremely thin, yes the brand new one, and doesn't have hardly any room for wear.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Thanks for the info. This'll be interesting.

Son manages part applications for Summit Racing. I'll sic him on this too. He loves it when I volunteer him like this.

I really want to see what comes available.

Reactions: BlisteredMunkey

·
Registered
476 Posts
WOT switch yes, most everything newer than 2000 has that feature.

Anyhow, from first hand experience - this clutch isn't gonna last long even if you only do highway driving. The disc is extremely thin, yes the brand new one, and doesn't have hardly any room for wear.

Well then, I guess we will have to wear it out before our 100,000 mile warranty is up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well then, I guess we will have to wear it out before our 100,000 mile warranty is up.
From my reading of the warranty literature, I think a few clutch parts are covered out to 12 mo, but after that you're on your own... and I don't think the clutch pad was included in that. I know I'll be quite disappointed if my clutch wears out quickly, but I'll just need to set aside some money for the possibility of that and other automobile fixin's.

Reactions: JFS

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hmmm.... That makes sense (clutch not being covered by warranty.) We will just upgrade if it wears out fast. We have 21,000 miles and almost 12 months already.

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
Is that specific to US warranties?

In Europe they don't cover clutch plates per se
unless it can be proved defective, but other
clutch components will be covered not only
for the initial 24 months but also for 3rd & 4th
years if extended. (Mileage limited.)

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
They're supposed to cover it for 12mo/12k, but they couldn't be bothered apparently.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like I said, learn how to drive a clutch. Don't rev the engine then let out the clutch and slip it it until motion occurs. You are burning it. Instead, let out the clutch until it starts to bite, then give it gas. Minimal slippage, smooth takeoff.
Necroposting to point out for future readers that you don't actually know what you're talking about.
The 1.4T has a delay valve in the clutch hydraulic line, which means clutch release and engagement are always feathered, which means it doesn't matter how you drive it, the clutch will wear out too fast.

Maybe next time don't be so eager to swing your dick around about how good you are at an unimpressive driving skill?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts