Jeep Renegade Forum banner

6MT clutch options

17K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  FiatPower 
#1 ·
So...i did a thing again

Spoke with Bill at Exedy and they are going to get me some info on a replacement clutch. No I didn't kill mine again lol, but I want to be prepared.

Anyhow, it'll be a Stage 1 clutch which is 40% more holding power than OEM. Also, gonna ditch the stupid dual mass flywheel and move to a single mass unit. That'll make this 1000000% better to drive and not fall the f**k apart the first time you give it some stress.

I will keep everyone posted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
One thing I have wondered is if the dual mass flywheel is there for vibration absorption (transmission protection) on the 1.4t or is it more of a driveability thing? I can live with a single mass flywheel, but is having a single going to shake the transmission apart?

#6 ·
It's for driveability, we've been using single mass flywheel for 100 years and "first world problems need a dampened unit......

Anyhow, the single mass flywheel will be an improvement on clutch feel as well as acceleration because of less moving crap. Unless you opt for a race clutch or some such, you likely won't notice any difference in feeling tbh.

#8 · (Edited)
Wonder if you can drill out like with some BMW's? My mustang had a single mass and I did notice that the grab point was much much less vague than on the Renegade, but it wasn't a hydraulic clutch either.

#24 ·
In my experience you have to give it a tad more gas than idle revs to get the clutch engaged without killing it. Like I said, it's more mass to move. I shiver at the thought of slipping the clutch for any length of time, but in the equation of clutch release vs throttle, you can't really wait to apply any gas until it bites, not most of the time anyway.

#15 ·
In general I agree with you, however you must remember the Abarth is a featherweight next to the Renegade, meaning power being applied through from a stop to fully engaging the clutch is going to be longer and require a bit more force. They can't really be compared in a vacuum.

#38 ·
Necroposting to point out for future readers that you don't actually know what you're talking about.
The 1.4T has a delay valve in the clutch hydraulic line, which means clutch release and engagement are always feathered, which means it doesn't matter how you drive it, the clutch will wear out too fast.

Maybe next time don't be so eager to swing your dick around about how good you are at an unimpressive driving skill?

#23 ·
Having to replace a clutch at 60,000 miles bothers me. We sold our 2004 xB to our friend, it still had the original clutch. Only slipped when it was below zero, or you pushed it really hard. It had 235,000 miles on it. Was hoping to get to 100,000 on the Jeep without doing anything major like that.

#29 ·
WOT switch yes, most everything newer than 2000 has that feature.

Anyhow, from first hand experience - this clutch isn't gonna last long even if you only do highway driving. The disc is extremely thin, yes the brand new one, and doesn't have hardly any room for wear.

#34 ·
Hmmm.... That makes sense (clutch not being covered by warranty.) We will just upgrade if it wears out fast. We have 21,000 miles and almost 12 months already.

#36 ·
Is that specific to US warranties?

In Europe they don't cover clutch plates per se
unless it can be proved defective, but other
clutch components will be covered not only
for the initial 24 months but also for 3rd & 4th
years if extended. (Mileage limited.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.