Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody wired their Renegade to use a brake controller to tow a trailer with brakes? I took my Latitude (no tow package or pre-existing wiring) in and the shop got stuck half way through, saying they couldn't access the necessary brake module/wire to get the appropriate signal to correctly wire system. They said something about the brake module/wire being buried behind the airbag and they weren't willing to mess with it, for fear of messing up the airbag.

I'm at a bit of a loss now. I wired a different car a few years ago, and it was a pain is the rear. It's looking like I might have to try to tackle the beast again. If I remember correctly, I started with a plug-in set to install a 4-flat connector. Are the basic T-Connector sets working for everybody?

·
Registered
430 Posts
renegadeready.com has a kit harness for towing.

That kit is useless for this situation. For a brake controller one needs constant 30A 12V, signal tapped into the brake lights, ground, then brake wire out.

The hardest part is the constant voltage. Would need to run a wire from the battery, through a fuse, to the controller. Should be able to get the brake light signal from the wires under the door sills or run a wire from the brake light forward. Going to have to pull up the sills to get the brake wire to the rear anyway. It can be all done without going near the under dash air bag.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering about bringing a line forward from the brake lights. I'm not looking forward to doing this in a cramped, unheated garage, but if I do it myself, at least it will save me a good bit of cash.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If/when you finish, please post some pictures. I am about to have to install a brake controller on 2015 Renegade TH w/ FTP...hopefully wont be quite as labor intensive as yours, but a walkthrough would def help! Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If/when you finish, please post some pictures. I am about to have to install a brake controller on 2015 Renegade TH w/ FTP...hopefully wont be quite as labor intensive as yours, but a walkthrough would def help! Thanks in advance...
I did get this finished. I took it out for a maiden voyage this weekend and everything was perfect. I posted an explanation of the solution and a few pictures in another link. I'd provide a link to the post, but I'm not sure how. If you search for brake wiring help, you should be able to find it. If not, let me know and I'll copy and paste it here or something.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was just to my local trailer company and they told me the standard type break controllers will not work on this type of installation because for some reason FMC incorportated the break signals into the computer brain and thus a standard controller will not work ,the alternative is a controller on the trailer that has a wireless hookup that mounts to dash and picks up 12 volts from cig lighter and uses rf thats triggered when you apply your breaks and the break lights come one the rf signal is sent to the onboard trailer break control boxes and set breaks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I got that general response from a local RV place too. They couldn't find a relay under the dash to tap into to send a signal to the brake controller. They said everything was buried way high in the dash, behind the airbag, and they didn't want to mess with it. The only problem with the system they recommended was that it's several hundred dollars, whereas the basic controller if under $50. You don't have to go that route, but it takes a little work. If you take off the interior of the back hatch, you can access the wires that go to the 3rd brake light. I tapped into the power wire and ran a wire forward, to the brake controller that I mounted on the dash. It works fine. I've towed 3 or 4 times with it and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was told by FMC that it is unwise to break any brake light lines as they are all routed to the master computer module (that is why when a trailer light goes out the renegade will advise you on it) if for some unknow reason you should overpower said line you may possibly affect your computer system or even damage it to the point of having to replace it and they said it runs about 1500.00 usd plust labor to put a new one in so a 230 dollar controller seems cheep enough to me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
MKALKOFEN: did you tap into the reverse light as well? if so where? I'd like to also get reverse lights on my trailer.

PS- thanks for your write up on the rear '3rd" brake light. I managed to tap right in. easy peasy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MKALKOFEN: did you tap into the reverse light as well? if so where? I'd like to also get reverse lights on my trailer.

PS- thanks for your write up on the rear '3rd" brake light. I managed to tap right in. easy peasy.
If I remember correctly, I did tap into one of the reverse lights. They are pretty easy to access.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts