Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to order a 4x4 Renegade, i would like to order the nine speed auto but previous automatics have been frustrating when pulling out from junctions due to an initial hesitancy in between pressing the accelerator and the car starting to move.

Can any 9 speed auto owners shed any light on how the Renegade fares in this regards ? I am tempted to order the 1.4 Multiair with this gearbox unless this is likely to make any hesitancy more pronounced.

I'm not a fast driver i just like the car to move responsively when emerging from junctions !

Thanks

David

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am about to order a 4x4 Renegade, i would like to order the nine speed auto but previous automatics have been frustrating when pulling out from junctions due to an initial hesitancy in between pressing the accelerator and the car starting to move.

Can any 9 speed auto owners shed any light on how the Renegade fares in this regards ? I am tempted to order the 1.4 Multiair with this gearbox unless this is likely to make any hesitancy more pronounced.

I'm not a fast driver i just like the car to move responsively when emerging from junctions !

Thanks

David
You really need to take it for a test ride. I find no problem with the 9 speed auto. There are others that have posted that they do have a problem with response, especially from those that post here that they didn't buy the Renegade.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I haven't noticed any big difference between the 9 speed and any other automatic I've owned. The only thing is while running 70 mph on the freeway it will shift between 8 & 9 depending upon the ups and downs of the terrain. It's not very noticeable but you can detect the shifts if you pay attention.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We've got the 1.4 MA with the DCCT auto box(2wd), I;m not sure if this is the 9 speed box you're talking about. If it is then it pulls out of junctions just fine, my runabout has a ASG auto box in, and needs more throttle input to get moving, I find jumping into the jeep in the wet I give it too much gas and end up loosing traction for the first couple of junctions.

·
Registered
106 Posts
We've got the 1.4 MA with the DCCT auto box(2wd), I;m not sure if this is the 9 speed box you're talking about. If it is then it pulls out of junctions just fine, my runabout has a ASG auto box in, and needs more throttle input to get moving, I find jumping into the jeep in the wet I give it too much gas and end up loosing traction for the first couple of junctions.
The nine speed is different from the DCCT. I have the nine speed and yes, I can detect a bit of hesitation from time to time when pulling away but I'm starting to notice the link to driving style. The hesitation seems to be more noticeable when I use a softer accelerator pedal action. If I put pedal to metal, the jeep instantly surges. If i'm nursing the pedal and slowly and smoothly cruising around, then I can detect the hesitation. But no matter what its a smooth shift. Just about detectable, but smooth.

·
Registered
35 Posts
9 speed on my Trailhawk, I totally agree with Why Jay, it's all about driving style. I also drive an A4 auto from time to time, and although the Audi box is incredibly smooth I much prefer the Renegade. It sometimes needs a little more throttle, but it's not a problem at all. Excellent in mid range and the kick down is superb. Brilliant engine and box.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the TH with 2.4 and 9-speed auto. I've got about 4000 miles on it. It doesn't hesitate at all from a stop. However, one thing to note is that the TH always starts in 2nd gear from a stop. So, if you pull out with normal acceleration, it feels like a normal car.

If you really want to accelerate hard from a stop, just mash the gas pedal and it'll downshift into first and it'll take off like a bat out of ****.

The only "hesitation" that I've noticed is when accelerating after a rolling stop (A rolling stop is when you don't come to a complete stop). It seem that when you get back on the gas, it's in 3rd and therefore feels like it's hesitating until it downshifts to 2nd then gets going.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.