Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
831 Posts
yea but the problem with that commercial is that what does it matter? They don't need Victor and his specially written song to get the info out that the 9 speed transmission is now available. Thats just bad advertising. If you're going to use a celebrity endorsement at least make sure their image squares with that of the product...

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
Until now, no automatic Renegade delivered to end users. Only manual versions. And in Europe, Tailhawk model will only be delivered as automatic Diesel (170 hp) version.
Which is also pertinent to all our griping and hand wringing in the US over the big question of WHEN.

The US market is going to be a massive majority of sales being AT rather than MT. So, technically until they officially push a 9 sp AT off the assembly line, there's practically speaking nothing to bring to america worth spending ad dollars on.

· Premium Member
321 Posts
which is also pertinent to all our griping and hand wringing in the us over the big question of when.

The us market is going to be a massive majority of sales being at rather than mt. So, technically until they officially push a 9 sp at off the assembly line, there's practically speaking nothing to bring to america worth spending ad dollars on.
bingo!!

· Registered
113 Posts
I noticed this in the Trailhawk section:
Optional equipment include bonnet stickers, leather seats, LaneDepartureWarning-Plus system, satellite navigator with 5" or 6.5" touchscreen (with 3D reference points), My SkyTM sunroof and open-air system and Visibility and Function packs.
The new york auto show feature availability doc had lane departure as not available on the Trailhawk, so apparently the options may have changed. Not that I have any desire for such a feature but thought it was worth noting.

· Registered
16 Posts
The US market is going to be a massive majority of sales being AT rather than MT. So, technically until they officially push a 9 sp AT off the assembly line, there's practically speaking nothing to bring to america worth spending ad dollars on.
That may be true, but what bugs me is that they don't even bother offering the TrailHawk with a manual transmission, which is what I prefer. I'd be willing to sell some stock to buy one if it had a manual, but as long as it has an auto, I'm not going to even bother.

I wouldn't mind getting a Fiat Strada either, but they won't ever be sold in the US unless they start making them here because of the stupid "Chicken Tax". I guess I'm weird in that I want a small truck/SUV with a manual transmission that's easy to use in city traffic and guzzle fuel like the monsters that the auto manufacturers think US customers only want.

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
That may be true, but what bugs me is that they don't even bother offering the TrailHawk with a manual transmission, which is what I prefer. I'd be willing to sell some stock to buy one if it had a manual, but as long as it has an auto, I'm not going to even bother.

I wouldn't mind getting a Fiat Strada either, but they won't ever be sold in the US unless they start making them here because of the stupid "Chicken Tax". I guess I'm weird in that I want a small truck/SUV with a manual transmission that's easy to use in city traffic and guzzle fuel like the monsters that the auto manufacturers think US customers only want.
From a market perspective, yes, you are weird. Less than 7% of vehicles sold in the US are manual transmission. A certain portion of those aren't about being an enthusiast, but being cheap. You may be interested in one of the expensive models for this vehicle, but that means you are in an even smaller minority.

To make matters worse for the enthusiast manual lover, we are hitting the point where they are going to be less efficient, not more. ATs are getting a lot more gear ratios, and dual clutch semi-automatics are outperforming humans in shift times. They are cheaper and faster to replace, but unless your use case involves regularly destroying them, there isn't much advantage to them anymore.

· Registered
16 Posts
I just like doing the shifting myself. If they're all being made in the same factory, I don't see why they can't just make it a build to order option. It's also annoying how Jeep will sell diesels in every market but the US.

· Registered
48 Posts
From a market perspective, yes, you are weird. Less than 7% of vehicles sold in the US are manual transmission. A certain portion of those aren't about being an enthusiast, but being cheap. You may be interested in one of the expensive models for this vehicle, but that means you are in an even smaller minority.
I have no stats and know next to nothing about how the industry works, but I know plenty of people in my neck of the woods that would prefer to have and drive a MT but go with an AT because that is what is available. Part of the reason why the Renegade is so appealing to me is that it potentially would offer more bells and whistles with a MT. It's not necessarily about the coinage, it's about the driving experience.

~shrugs~

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.