Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m planning on doing my trans fluid change soon as I’m siting at 62k miles. I have all I need except the dipstick. The job of the dipstick is to show you the fill line relative to the transmission temperature. I didn’t get that dipstick, so I’m wondering if I do the change when the transmission is cold, measure how much fluid comes out, and replace it with the exact same amount, would that be fine?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like a reasonable way to do it, as long as the level was correct in the first place.
I hope it is. Last time it was opened was the factory as far as I know.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Just curious, is there a reason you want to change your fluid so early ? I know in the days of yore we used to change fluids pretty regular, and I know the idea of a "sealed transmission" never sits well with us old guys that are used to changing ALL the fluids. The only way I stopped myself from continuing to do so was to remind myself just how much spark plugs have changed. It was common to change them every 20k, sometimes earlier, now plugs can go 100k or more. Tranny technology has changed and they no longer "burnout the oil" like trannys of yesterday (I fondly remember that stink). Maintenance no longer consists of draining the oil, dropping the pan and replacing the filter. That's also one of the reasons they no longer come with dipsticks.

It took me decades to accept the fact that car batteries are now maintenance free, I've always wanted to check the acid level. Even longer that 100% synthetic engine oil can go up to 10,000 miles. Majority of my life was with dino oil that got dropped every 3k without fail. Do that with synthetic and you're just pissing money away. Now I have to accept the fact that trannys are now considered maintenance free. It is a hard pill to swallow....

Here's a question that will show my age; how many people remember setting your points gap with a matchbook cover ? How many people know what points are ? Or for that matter, a matchbook cover ? :)

Yep, I've seen a lotta sunrises...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just curious, is there a reason you want to change your fluid so early ? I know in the days of yore we used to change fluids pretty regular, and I know the idea of a "sealed transmission" never sits well with us old guys that are used to changing ALL the fluids. The only way I stopped myself from continuing to do so was to remind myself just how much spark plugs have changed. It was common to change them every 20k, sometimes earlier, now plugs can go 100k or more. Tranny technology has changed and they no longer "burnout the oil" like trannys of yesterday (I fondly remember that stink). Maintenance no longer consists of draining the oil, dropping the pan and replacing the filter. That's also one of the reasons they no longer come with dipsticks.

It took me decades to accept the fact that car batteries are now maintenance free, I've always wanted to check the acid level. Even longer that 100% synthetic engine oil can go up to 10,000 miles. Majority of my life was with dino oil that got dropped every 3k without fail. Do that with synthetic and you're just pissing money away. Now I have to accept the fact that trannys are now considered maintenance free. It is a hard pill to swallow....

Here's a question that will show my age; how many people remember setting your points gap with a matchbook cover ? How many people know what points are ? Or for that matter, a matchbook cover ? :)

I couldn’t answer your matchbook business. Guess I’m a youngster to ya, ha!

I know my transmission slaps the living hell outta ya when shifting to 3rd and 5th, so maybe a fluid change could help some of that. I’ve also read somewhere that it’s common for manufacturers to end their transmission warranties after 60k miles, where the life of their “maintenance free” transmission comes to the hands of the customer after that. I kept coming across that number again and again from numerous places, so I figured it’s time. I also came across another person with a renegade that had their transmission give out after 80 some odd thousand miles.

Here’s something to think about. If the transmission never has to have its fluid changed, then why do they still include drain plugs? I suppose you could say for when the tranny gets worked on, but why would it need it if it’s supposed to last the vehicle life?

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
724 Posts
I tend to agree with Jeepatron's position. Manufacturers want to have a low 'cost of ownership' as a sales tool. So a "maintenance-free" anything is a benefit for them. I hear some vehicles' oil change intervals are going well beyond 10,000 miles now. Not because it's ok for the engine, but because it costs less... AND the bean counters have determined that the odds are on their side that it will not cause enough problems from warranty payouts to negatively impact their bottom line.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just did the change. From the little driving I did, it felt a lot better on the shifts. Also, what came out of the transmission was comparable to spent engine oil. And then here’s the new stuff..

I’d definitely recommend getting it changed..

·
Registered
852 Posts
Good deal !!

I notice you did use Mopar tranny fluid as this tranny uses a very specific special type of oil, not just regular ol' tranny fluid. Supposedly the oil required for this 9 speed tranny is uber expensive and only available from Mopar. Was it expensive ?

In addition, the steps needing to be taken differ from my old trannys. Yes, I looked into doing it, the old habits I spoke about earlier.

From what I read, the official Jeep procedure is, you pull the drain plug, drain, re-fill from the upper plug until oil weeps out. Cap it, start the engine then run it through the selector tree a few times, what we used to call the "prindle" for Park Reverse Neutral Drive, then shut it down and re-check level. In the old days it was said and done, hit the road. With this tranny you're not done. You're supposed to use a special Jeep tool called Dipstick Temperature Tool or some such name and put it in a port top left rear of the tranny (not an actual dipstick hole) and add/remove oil through the fill hole until the Jeep specified temperature is reached (the reading of which I do not remember). You could use a scan tool instead of the special Jeep tool, but certainly not the dash temperature display. If memory serves, I read of this procedure on this very forum from a well respected member. As our old sage MrSig would say, "search is your friend".

That's when I decided to leave the tranny be..... LOL

Reactions: Jeepatron

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good deal !!

I notice you did use Mopar tranny fluid as this tranny uses a very specific special type of oil, not just regular ol' tranny fluid. Supposedly the oil required for this 9 speed tranny is uber expensive and only available from Mopar. Was it expensive ?

In addition, the steps needing to be taken differ from my old trannys. Yes, I looked into doing it, the old habits I spoke about earlier.

From what I read, the official Jeep procedure is, you pull the drain plug, drain, re-fill from the upper plug until oil weeps out. Cap it, start the engine then run it through the selector tree a few times, what we used to call the "prindle" for Park Reverse Neutral Drive, then shut it down and re-check level. In the old days it was said and done, hit the road. With this tranny you're not done. You're supposed to use a special Jeep tool called Dipstick Temperature Tool or some such name and put it in a port top left rear of the tranny (not an actual dipstick hole) and add/remove oil through the fill hole until the Jeep specified temperature is reached (the reading of which I do not remember). You could use a scan tool instead of the special Jeep tool, but certainly not the dash temperature display. If memory serves, I read of this procedure on this very forum from a well respected member. As our old sage MrSig would say, "search is your friend".

That's when I decided to leave the tranny be..... LOL
You got that right! I just did it the “old school” method.. simple drain and refill. I did wiggle the shifter a little too. After seeing that **** come out, trust me you would be glad if you even just got a quart of that replaced. I ended up getting 4 quarts out exactly, so 4 quarts went back in. I didn’t bother to fill it up til it weeps out the fill hole, figured it’s best to just replace what comes out. I did follow that write up someone found I believe you’re talking about.

That fluid was damn right expensive. I got a box of 6 quarts for $115 off Amazon. Ended up with two left over but it cost the same as 5 individuals. I was really hoping on not having to use that stuff and could go some cheaper route, but everyone said to use that and only that.

·
Registered
3 Posts

you are so right. The only one we do that to now is our 68

·
Registered
373 Posts
You got that right! I just did it the “old school” method.. simple drain and refill. I did wiggle the shifter a little too. After seeing that **** come out, trust me you would be glad if you even just got a quart of that replaced. I ended up getting 4 quarts out exactly, so 4 quarts went back in. I didn’t bother to fill it up til it weeps out the fill hole, figured it’s best to just replace what comes out. I did follow that write up someone found I believe you’re talking about.

That fluid was damn right expensive. I got a box of 6 quarts for $115 off Amazon. Ended up with two left over but it cost the same as 5 individuals. I was really hoping on not having to use that stuff and could go some cheaper route, but everyone said to use that and only that.
Can you link the write up that you used to do this? I might just go ahead and do this on mine in the near future.

·
Registered
38 Posts

ZF the transmission manufacture recommend's changing at 50,000 miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts