Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2016 jeep renegade latitude will not hold a consistent speed of 75 mph while on flat highway with the cruise control engaged. it is inconsistently shifting to a higher rpm (from 1750 up to 2000 +) in an attempt to regain the cruise speed that it periodically loses - 1 -2 mph. it is more dramatic on a hill or incline - loss of 3 - 5 mph. any suggestions or is it just lack of horsepower from my 2.4 L engine and i just have to live with it??

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
463 Posts
Sounds about normal to me, I’d say my cruise control does the same thing. It doesn’t want to overshoot that speed and then slow back down to match it, so it slowly eases up to it. Any variation in road grade will make the engine change how much it has to work to get to that speed.

·
Registered
2017 renegade trailhawk 9 spd auto glacier metallic, preferred package 27E
618 Posts
my 2016 jeep renegade latitude will not hold a consistent speed of 75 mph while on flat highway with the cruise control engaged. it is inconsistently shifting to a higher rpm (from 1750 up to 2000 +) in an attempt to regain the cruise speed that it periodically loses - 1 -2 mph. it is more dramatic on a hill or incline - loss of 3 - 5 mph. any suggestions or is it just lack of horsepower from my 2.4 L engine and i just have to live with it??
my 2017 trailhawk set at 75mph on interstate maintains a steady speed with no shifting noted. Of course i have had my tcm tweeked by motor madness which totally changed the dynamics of my nine speed trans.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
i have had my tcm tweeked by motor madness which totally changed the dynamics of my nine speed trans.
The sooner car/Jeep owners across the world unite and start buying "Chips" or "remaps" then the sooner manufacturers will realise that the consumer knows they are being ripped off and the specs of vehicles may adjust accordingly. Don't hold your breath as I don't see that happening.

Think about it guys. How many people on this forum have installed "Chips, Go-pedal or remaps" into their Jeep. Hmmm :unsure::whistle: Very few of you. Now! How many people are there in here that originally had issues and now have none after installing the aforementioned. All of us. :love::love:

Jeff and I are trying to inform you of a way to eliminate your problems. All for a few £££s or $$$s. It's your choice but don't whine constantly about your Renegade changing gears if you don't want to add to your Jeep.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The sooner car/Jeep owners across the world unite and start buying "Chips" or "remaps" then the sooner manufacturers will realise that the consumer knows they are being ripped off and the specs of vehicles may adjust accordingly. Don't hold your breath as I don't see that happening.

Think about it guys. How many people on this forum have installed "Chips, Go-pedal or remaps" into their Jeep. Hmmm :unsure::whistle: Very few of you. Now! How many people are there in here that originally had issues and now have none after installing the aforementioned. All of us. :love::love:

Jeff and I are trying to inform you of a way to eliminate your problems. All for a few £££s or $$$s. It's your choice but don't whine constantly about your Renegade changing gears if you don't want to add to your Jeep.
where to get this upgrade and about how much?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maddness autoworks vendor on this site sells a program that installs in minutes and definitely changes the shifting of the nine speed. i think i paid $499.00

is this what you are talking about -
Jeep Renegade AutoFlash

·
Registered
2018 Renegade Latitude
142 Posts

They might already know. I think it is more the governments and the environmental concerns about emissions that is causing the poor performance issues. Manufacturers are trying to find a happy medium between loyal customers and being fined up the wazoo for excessive pollution from their products. They absolve themselves if the vehicle fails emission tests after the consumer makes any changes to the original configuration.

Reactions: puddlesplasher

·
Registered
20 Posts
A few things come to mind... make sure your air filter is reasonably clean, as the 2.4 seems to like to breathe. Dirty injectors could be a little trouble if you've been using less expensive gas; that stuff has less detergents in it and can give some drivability trouble after the miles rack up. I try to use Top Tier gasoline and it seems to make a difference. Finally I get best results with the 2.4 with Premium. These Jeeps run at much lower RPMs than cars from some years ago and shift up and down going up hills (even small inclines) to keep the engine in the power band for best efficiency, and mine seems to run better at lower RPMs if I run premium.

My cruise does fluctuate some on hills if the filter gets dirty, or if the tires are underinflated (more rolling resistance).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts