Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
This will depend upon the model Renegade. TH have a different drive ratio that lends itself to 2nd gear starts and making highway use of 9th gear.

Anecdotally (I wasn't paying the appropriate attention you ask for here) on dry, straight, flat pavement with little head wind, my Trail hawk will shift and stay in 9th at about 105 km/hr. Coasting, it will shift back to 8th around 95 km/hr, when the RPM drops noticeably below 1500, say maybe 1300 RPM??. It will also shift to 8th with the throttle on, but on a rough surface or strong head wind, or any significant rise/hill/sharpish corner.

Speeds are approximate.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have a Trailhawk. The lowest speed I can shift into 9th gear is 63 or 64 mph. The RPMs drop to close to 1,500 rpm at that speed.

If I leave the shifter in manual mode, It will stay in 9th gear as low as 50 mph before it automatically shifts into 8th gear. But at 50 mph in 9th gear the engine is turning close to 1,000 rpm where there is no power whatsoever.

This 2.4L engine starts making decent power well over 2,000 rpm. It can run satisfactorily at 1,500 and get great gas mileage if there aren't any grades or headwind.

Reactions: lamont and Mead

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This will depend upon the model Renegade. TH have a different drive ratio that lends itself to 2nd gear starts and making highway use of 9th gear.

Anecdotally (I wasn't paying the appropriate attention you ask for here) on dry, straight, flat pavement with little head wind, my Trail hawk will shift and stay in 9th at about 105 km/hr. Coasting, it will shift back to 8th around 95 km/hr, when the RPM drops noticeably below 1500, say maybe 1300 RPM??. It will also shift to 8th with the throttle on, but on a rough surface or strong head wind, or any significant rise/hill/sharpish corner.

Speeds are approximate.
So the automatic shift-down point is reached at around 1500 RPM. That seems reasonable. I was wondering about this, because a few people have mentioned their Renegades never get automatically into 9th gear in the first place at stere-legal speeds. And while I don't mind shifting manually into 9th, it wouldn't do much good if the tranny can't hold 9th gear. However, the data you mention indictes that at freeway speeds the Renegade should be able to remain in 9th gear, at least on a level road without headwind.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So the automatic shift-down point is reached at around 1500 RPM. That seems reasonable. I was wondering about this, because a few people have mentioned their Renegades never get automatically into 9th gear in the first place at stere-legal speeds. And while I don't mind shifting manually into 9th, it wouldn't do much good if the tranny can't hold 9th gear. However, the data you mention indictes that at freeway speeds the Renegade should be able to remain in 9th gear, at least on a level road without headwind.
The non-Trail Hawk Renegades will struggle to get into 9th gear because of the long axle ratio. However they may automatically start in first, whereas I need to manually force a first gear start. I get to 9th regularly on a limited-access highway, with speed limits at 100 km/hr, say 65 mph (I know that's wrong, but close). There I might drive at speeds of 100 to perhaps 119 km/h, all of which would be in 9th on a good day. 8th if it's windy, I am hard on the throttle, rainy or snowy or I hit a hill. The renegade is not particularly aerodynamic (C/D is terrible, but I like it non-the-less).

·
Registered
430 Posts
I can get into 9th quite often in my Latitude as long as I'm going at least 65 mph. The longest I've been in 9th is about a half hour of driving from Cheyenne back to Loveland, about 45 miles in 9th gear. Cheyenne is also about 1200 ft higher than Loveland.

·
Registered
190 Posts
oh sorry my bad. When it drops down inot 9th the rpm goes to around 1500 at 70mph.

It will hold this till around 62mph @1200 rpm and then it will shift into 8th.

I normally use the select shift and rarely have it go to 9th unless its downhill. 8th seems to be the better gear for my driving anyways.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it looks like the 9th gear is definitely set up as an overdrive. That's okay, but I get the feeling 9th gear may be little too tall for the US street-legal speeds. What's the difference in RPM between 8th and 9th gear at 65 mph ?

I think have before been asking if someone has a gearing chart (gear/speed/torque/horsepower graphs) for the 6-speed and the 9-speed slushbox. Something like this:

·
Registered
83 Posts
That's good to know, too, but my question was about down to what RPM it holds 9th gear.
Assuming all TH are the same, that is about 110 Km/hr, perhaps 1700 RPM or so in 9th. I will check when weather improves around here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So it looks like the 9th gear is definitely set up as an overdrive. That's okay, but I get the feeling 9th gear may be little too tall for the US street-legal speeds. What's the difference in RPM between 8th and 9th gear at 65 mph ?

I think have before been asking if someone has a gearing chart (gear/speed/torque/horsepower graphs) for the 6-speed and the 9-speed slushbox. Something like this:

Nice graph, but 12000 rpm on a Tigershark? 6 speeds implies a manual. This is not related to a renegade, right? The max rpm I get from the 9 speed is 4800 rpm, trying to be cruel to the Jeep to see what happens. 9th is confirmed when it switches. The minimum rpm is about 1500 to sustain that gear in a TH

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased 3 weeks ago a 2016 Jeep Renegade and was on a major hwy and just about got killed , went to accelerate to merge and something got stuck in transmission!.... Sounds like **** now and won't go into gear !!!!, has anyone heard of this ?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice graph, but 12000 rpm on a Tigershark? 6 speeds implies a manual. This is not related to a renegade, right? The max rpm I get from the 9 speed is 4800 rpm, trying to be cruel to the Jeep to see what happens. 9th is confirmed when it switches. The minimum rpm is about 1500 to sustain that gear in a TH
That was just an example of the kind of chart I wish someone had for the 2.4 and the 1.4T.

You can't rev higher than 4,800 in any gear or only in 9th gear? Since 9th is overdrive, I would expect the engine to run out of oomph before reaching very high RPM and incapable of reaching top speed in 9th gear.

I had two VW Sciroccos. One had the 5-Speed with 5th gear overdrive, the other one was the "sport." The sport reached top speed in 5th gear, the overdrive one reached top speed only in 4th gear. The overdrive resulted in noticeably improved fuel economy (at steady speed).

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just purchased 3 weeks ago a 2016 Jeep Renegade and was on a major hwy and just about got killed , went to accelerate to merge and something got stuck in transmission!.... Sounds like **** now and won't go into gear !!!!, has anyone heard of this ?
It sounds like you have not done anything about this for three weeks and the vehicle appears to be undrivable. If you can't drive to the dealer, maybe they can come and pick up your Renegade?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
With the Renegade automatic, 5th gear is 1:1. So technically there are four overdrive gears.

Mine will automatically shift into 9th gear once the speed goes above 63 or 64 mph if the road is flat and there isn't a headwind. (I'll set the cruise control to 65 which is the speed limit around here).

The other highway I use that has a 55 mph speed limit, the transmission stays in 8th gear. But that's no big deal since the 2.4L engine doesn't make any usable power until the rev's get over 1,500 rpm. Using any gear where the engine is less than 1,500 wouldn't be useful at all. The power really picks up closer to 3,000 rpm (for a 2.4L). Even at 55 in 8th gear, I can easily get over 30 mph on flat highway roads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is it happening only on the highway? What gear is it getting stuck in or which gear will it not go into? We might have a similar issue.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That was just an example of the kind of chart I wish someone had for the 2.4 and the 1.4T.

You can't rev higher than 4,800 in any gear or only in 9th gear? Since 9th is overdrive, I would expect the engine to run out of oomph before reaching very high RPM and incapable of reaching top speed in 9th gear.

I had two VW Sciroccos. One had the 5-Speed with 5th gear overdrive, the other one was the "sport." The sport reached top speed in 5th gear, the overdrive one reached top speed only in 4th gear. The overdrive resulted in noticeably improved fuel economy (at steady speed).
That would be a nice chart to have for us, yes. I have had the engine up to 5500 RPM, manually in first. I have not seen the trans shift at RPMS higher than 5000, but that could be my driving style. The question was really where that chart came from, since the Orange Splatter (red line...) is at 6500, and I doubt we could get the critter to 12000 rpm. I have not engaged the limiter, and do not intend to...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The question was really where that chart came from, since the Orange Splatter (red line...) is at 6500, and I doubt we could get the critter to 12000 rpm. I have not engaged the limiter, and do not intend to...
The chart I posted was an example. It was NOT for the Renegade's 6-speed. I could tell you for what engine it is, but I won't, since it is irrelevant.

I would also love to see a RPM/torque chart for the 1.4T and the 2.4. When I got my Audi, all that kind of info was widely available.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.