Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving to work today, the TPWS flashed up that my right-rear tire was at 1.6 Bar (other one at 2.5 Bar). Only done 1400 miles so far!

Stopped and put more air in, and the garage air-line confirmed 1.6 Bar - so the TPWS is accurate...

Driving home tonight, the warning came on again - so guess I'll be ringing the Tyre dealer tomorrow.

Stock Tyres are Bridgestone "Turanza" 255/55 R18 93V - but my local Tyre Depot (Kwik Fit) doesn't appear to have them in stock - luckily I have a full-size spare, so will get that fitted tomorrow - wonder what the delay in getting a new tyre will be?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Have you confirmed the tire (tyre) is damaged beyond repair or will they be able to fix it? Unless the sidewall is damaged most tires can be repaired with an internal patch.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good call - I've not removed the Tyre yet - but I'll take it to the Tyre place tomorrow for their verdict.

Worst case scenario, put the spare on and order a new one, best case, a simple repair - side wall doesn't look damaged, thankfully

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The good news is that it was a big nail/screw in the main tread of the tyre - and was repairable - so my spare tyre hasn't had to be used!

Reactions: SteveZ

·
Registered
302 Posts
Julian - so glad your tire could be be repaired! Better than buying a new one :)

For those of you who have never had a flat - avoid shops that want to repair the tire with a "plug." It may be quick but the best method is to remove the tire from the wheel and install an internal patch.

·
Registered
715 Posts
A point of information for anyone and everyone, in the AWD/4wd setup (trailhawks) the tire tread depth matters when replacing 1 or more tires. Typically you need to stay within 3/32nds of the other tires, or possible transmission, differential problems could arise. Usually under 15,000 miles or so you can still get away with replacement of 1 tire. I have had to replace ALOT of 4 tires on AWD after 20k due to differences of tread heights. And tread patterns must match, or grip irregularities could cause problems. I sell tires, so I see this fairly often.

Also, a road plug is Not a correct fix. An internal patch plug is the accepted fix in the industry. If you can not make it to a tire shop, fixaflat may be your best solution (if you don't have a spare) as it will fill small holes. It does make a mess, so be sure to tell your service advisor to be mindful of that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.