Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had trouble with oil consumption for quite some time, and spent quiet a bit of time at the local dealer's going round and round through the process of verifying excessive oll consumption. I even brought it back for the last recall where they remapped the engine controls to supposedly minimise oil consumption. There was a lot of miscommunication regarding whether or not the car was normal and what the remedy was going to be. Trouble started with just over 20k on the odometer when after i brought the car in and said there was something very wrong because of how it acted (no codes of course) I was told there was nothing they could do... then the next day it threw a code for a bad cat convertor. It was replaced but the car never really ran right and all alng had been using a quart every 1-1.5 k miles. I kept on bringing it back, and then got FCA involved. Finally I was told to bring it in and they were going to give me a loaner. Well it is nearly two months later, and I picked the car up today with a new engine. So far as I can tell the swap came out perfectly. It hasn't ever run this quietly; seems like the new engines have a quieter valvetrain. The gas mileage had dropped quite a bit as the engine got older but it seems to be back to where it was originally.

Doing a swap like this is a big job; the whole powertrain has to come out of the car, which means the suspension and drive shafts get partially disassembled, the A/C gets pumped down and opened. The tech did what looks like a great job: I cannot find any faults whatsoever. A/C runs great, transmission shifts perfectly all fluids are up to the correct level.

This is the happiest I have been with the car since I bought it. I took it home and gave it a good cleaning and wax. I will keep a close eye on the dipstick but have been hearing the new engines have much less trouble with this problem so hopefully it will be right going forward.

IMG_0411.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
4,159 Posts
Good to hear Jeep fixed your little Jeep better than new. Enjoy it.

Reactions: greyghost

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update - i just passed 1k miles and the dipstick says full. It seems to be loosening up a little now as I got 36 mpg on a drive to the coast (NW Oregon) going over a pretty good mountain pass. Runs better than new. I finally found one defect in the job; the windshield washer reservoir was not reinstalled correctly. I will take it to the dealer next weekend and get it done. All else is well!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts