Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question for those who are in the market for a car like the Renegade - not for the Wrangler owners who like to **** on every Jeep product except for the Wrangler :|

How much off-roading will you REALLY be doing on a daily basis?

Are you going to take your Renegade through this?

Personally I'd be taking it up the trails to the cottage that is unpaved gravel and some smaller rocks. Its uneven but nothing that a regular SUV can't handle

I've taken a rental van up there before.. Granted the bottom of the rental van is probably not the same anymore and I may have dented up the exhaust a bit.. But it made it.

I will appreciate the 4x4 in the snow we get here up North. Apart from that.. Likely 98% paved roads.

How will you be using your Renegade? And does suspension travel and articulation matter to you?

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've wondered that a bit myself. Is it cool to climb rocks, yea, if you're a mountain climber. When your Jeep does it, that's just lazy ;)

MAnufacturers are like teams, you have your scorers, your defenders, your grinders, enforcers, goalies, punters, WHATEVER. The point being teams are the sums of their components, like a manufacturer is the sum of its models. Is a team capable of winning with only scorers, or only goalies? FECK NO, would a brand survive selling only one type of product, FECK NO...

So yea...

·
Registered
953 Posts
I might take the Renegade up to a cottage or something like that, but I don't really plan on going off roading. If reviews come in and prove that the Renegade is indeed capable of off roading like a pro, i might take it out just to see for myself. Sure I'm one of those people that will get an off road vehicle and drive it around the city all the time, but that is what most people who buy this car will be.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've wondered that a bit myself. Is it cool to climb rocks, yea, if you're a mountain climber. When your Jeep does it, that's just lazy ;)
I was raised climbing mountains, so yes, I agree with this. However, I've also done car camping where you take your vehicle as far as it will go and then hike. I shared this on another thread, but also seems relevant here. I think the Renegade will have some articulation and it will be shorter than the Cherokee (Jeep Marketing Director driving):

·
Registered
24 Posts
"How much off-roading will you REALLY be doing on a daily basis?"

Zip, zero. If I buy a Renegade, it will be a replacement for my current 2012 Patriot.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Zip, zero. If I buy a Renegade, it will be a replacement for my current 2012 Patriot.
that goes for many that will be buying this, but giving the idea that it is really off-road capable helps to sell it even if the people that like knowing that fact about it wont use it like that

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

the only off roading ill be doing on a daily basis is manoeuvring over potholes lol

·
Registered
831 Posts
well and the thing is the industry is quickly becoming about diversification. No longer can a brand survive at being really very good at one thing, as much as the purists will hollar and bang their faces against the wall, it doesnt change the fact that they weren't paying the bills.

Look at Mercedes dropping down into the $20's with the CLA, look at BMW offering FWD models now, look at Harley Davidson building 500cc bikes. IT has to happen or the brand goes away.

Is that what these people want? A shuttered brand that was completely rigid in its ideologies? If I can't have her no one can kind of attitude I suppose. (its a sickness ;))

·
Registered
194 Posts
As long as the Renegade laughs at severe weather in non-extreme terrain, I think it will find its market just fine. The question is are you seriously rural in the world, or somewhere more populated.

Then again, if you are in a mountainous region/rainforest or mega desert with lots of rocks and canyons, maybe you should get a Wrangler.;)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
As long as the Renegade laughs at severe weather in non-extreme terrain, I think it will find its market just fine. The question is are you seriously rural in the world, or somewhere more populated.

Then again, if you are in a mountainous region/rainforest or mega desert with lots of rocks and canyons, maybe you should get a Wrangler.;)
the biggest test will be areas that get crazy winter weather

·
Registered
831 Posts
I seriously think the Renegade is going to beg to be out in the inclement stuff, a gypsy good time if you will...

If the Wrangler is a litre bike the Renegade is a quarter litre. Everyone knows 250s sell better than 1000s ;) Plus Litre bikes aren't for all, some just need a simple capable commuter...

·
Registered
49 Posts
My plan it to use it mostly as a daily commuter during the week, but on the weekends take it out with a local Jeep group and see what it can do. I've pushed vehicles that were not built for heavy off-roading through some hairy terrain in the past, but since I still need to commute on Monday, I'll keep it more reasonable.

It will also see a ton of very nasty winter driving to/from Vermont and Maine for skiing. I'll be glad to have something that I'm confident driving on those days where you haven't quite beat that storm to the mountain.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
My plan it to use it mostly as a daily commuter during the week, but on the weekends take it out with a local Jeep group and see what it can do. I've pushed vehicles that were not built for heavy off-roading through some hairy terrain in the past, but since I still need to commute on Monday, I'll keep it more reasonable.

It will also see a ton of very nasty winter driving to/from Vermont and Maine for skiing. I'll be glad to have something that I'm confident driving on those days where you haven't quite beat that storm to the mountain.
Overall it should suit you especially with that nasty winter driving, which really comes down to your own winter driving skills and your tires.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i think with some good winter tires

4x4 lock

in deep snow the renegade will be a champ

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tires are key and I plan to either swap out the factory tires with what Mopar offers before deliver, or drive it from the dealership to the tire place. Either way, the stocks are not staying on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ours will mainly be a commuter but also used for camping trips so will do light off roading.

4x4 option is also handy for when we get several inches of global warming during winter ;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tires are key and I plan to either swap out the factory tires with what Mopar offers before deliver, or drive it from the dealership to the tire place. Either way, the stocks are not staying on.
i usually keep em on until they wear out
but after that i def wont be replacing them with the same tires

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Ours will mainly be a commuter but also used for camping trips so will do light off roading.

4x4 option is also handy for when we get several inches of global warming during winter ;)
what is the terrain like where you go off-roading?
any pictures and/or examples?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I guess I don't fully understand the new 4x4 system. It engages the rear in the 4x4 terrain modes, but unless you have a TH, the rear will not lock, is that correct? How much does that limit capability? Since Jeep is saying that non-TH models cannot ford water, how much snow can you safely try to plow through? It's not really 4H unless the rear locks...? I am comparing it to the old system on my Liberty.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts