Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Touchy topic for the Jeep faithful, but I had an interesting thought just now and I thought some of you may share the sentiment. The renegade may not be as "Masculine" as this

whatever masculine means for inanimate objects. Regardless this is not a conversation about the etymology or use context of the word, so Renegade is the least Masculine Jeep, agreed?

BUT

It is the most "Masculine" In segment. I mean have you seen what it goes up against ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I see what you mean. The Wrangler at Camp Jeep had 10 inches of clearance and 32" tires, so by comparison...lol.

The Renegade will be brute of its own class - no worries.

·
Registered
465 Posts
ill be completely honest

i dont relate off roading to masculinity as much as i do to rednecking.

i dont think off roading has anything to do with masculinity. for me its one of those - good job you climbed over a rock. good for you. my 6 year old can also climb over rocks too - using much less gas :p

you buy what you need and be happy with it.

I have lots of respect for a Wrangler - but I wouldn't buy one.

The mileage and ride quality and comfort turn me off from using it as a family car. I'd rather get a GC. But of course that sucker is way too big and also drinks way too much gas. Plus there is a part of me that would really just want to get the SRT-8 :D

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think the focus should simply be on whether or not the car looks good. Bringing gender into it, which is weird with inanimate objects, just serves as a commentary on the insecurities of the person discussing them. Any man who is comfortable with himself will be able to drive a Renegade without feeling emasculated. I don't need my car to tell people I am a man.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have always thought it was funny when someone relates a car to a specific gender. When I purchase a vehicle I base it on the specific needs that I have and not on someone's opinion as to whether it is masculine enough. I consider the size of the vehicle (if it meets the needs of my family), comfort, fuel economy, consumer reviews, the geographic regions where I will be driving, reliability of the brand. Cars do one thing...they get you from point A to point B.

I never go off road so that is not an importance to me as it might be to others. It is truly sad that the true jeep purists think that this will dilute the brand when actually it will probably do the opposite and make Jeep even more profitable. Jeep needs to expand and be competitive with other brands in this segment and thankfully FIAT saw this.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Remember when the Jeep Liberty came out with those bug eyes? It looked like a frog on wheels. VERY feminine looking vehicle. But men rocked them and took them to the trails all the time. The drivetrain was built like a truck. It's capability and ability to be lifted and fit large tires made it fine for both genders.

There's going to be a lot of men who won't want a Renegade because it truly is a car with round headlights. This time around I think they will see the gender thing really come into play. People in their teens and twentys and women...that will be the primary demographic with this one.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you know what else gives me a chuckle. Whens the last time your average Jeep purist bought a NEW Jeep product. Thats right they usually don't. Most of them are running beat up 80's wranglers and living with the glory days of the 90's Cherokee.

Granted, there may be nothing that Jeep has made that can offer them what they want (although the Wrangler is essentially unchanged) point being, the brand was not going to survive waiting for these joes to buy something. They weren't paying the bills plain and simple. If this is the type of audience that will pay the bills then by all means go for it. DO what you can do to get paid...

the whole industry is doing it

What I dont get is why it cant be accepted. The porsche crowd was vaguely upset about the CAyenne originally but once it was explained that they couldn't build 911's without the funding base from Cayenne, people clamped up and began SUPPORTING the Cayenne.

Perhaps the Porsche demo is a little freer with their thinking, but I think thats what our purist friends need to realize. The Jeep BRAND needs the renegade, even f they don't...

·
Registered
24 Posts
"....so Renegade is the least Masculine Jeep, agreed?"

Hardly! My Patriot isn't exactly "hung", if you get my drift. And the first generation Compass was neutered, in my opinion. I think the Renegade looks good from most angles. Those rock crawlers leave me cold.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
you know what else gives me a chuckle. Whens the last time your average Jeep purist bought a NEW Jeep product. Thats right they usually don't. Most of them are running beat up 80's wranglers and living with the glory days of the 90's Cherokee.

Granted, there may be nothing that Jeep has made that can offer them what they want (although the Wrangler is essentially unchanged) point being, the brand was not going to survive waiting for these joes to buy something. They weren't paying the bills plain and simple. If this is the type of audience that will pay the bills then by all means go for it. DO what you can do to get paid...

the whole industry is doing it

What I dont get is why it cant be accepted. The porsche crowd was vaguely upset about the CAyenne originally but once it was explained that they couldn't build 911's without the funding base from Cayenne, people clamped up and began SUPPORTING the Cayenne.

Perhaps the Porsche demo is a little freer with their thinking, but I think thats what our purist friends need to realize. The Jeep BRAND needs the renegade, even f they don't...
some people are just way too old school, only wanting to stick to a believing in old school and not accepting anything else

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.