Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new on the forum, from Scandinavia where English is a foreign language.

I’m looking for a small car capable of transporting me and my family to our summer cottage located in roadless surroundings. I intend to keep it for several years. The new car should replace our current 2wd car and the ATV with trailer we now are using for transports between where we can park the car and the cottage. The path is somewhat rocky, partly very steep and narrow. Parts of it are on grass. The new car must also be able to tow the trailer (now towed by the ATV) to and from the cottage. No heavy loads. The distance from our regular home to the cottage is about 500 km on tarmac, and the roadless part is just about a mile. So the car should be economical (fuel efficient), comfortable on tarmac and well suited for everyday use. In addition, we have a boat on an unbraked EU-trailer (total weight about 600 kg) that has to be towed from place to place (though no long distances and not “off road”).

The requirements on the new car are:
Small (max length 4,4 m preferably less)
Good fuel efficiency
Automatic drivetrain
Safe
Comfortable on road and reasonably competent off road, i.e. sufficient ground clearance and capable AWD, preferably LOW, generous torque.

My investigations have so far resulted in two alternatives:
The Fiat sibling Jeep Renegade (Limited, automatic with low) and Skoda Yeti. Both practical, boxy, 4,2 m long, 2,0 l diesels, automatic, generous torque and AWD. There is no big difference in price. Yeti has been praised in multiple reviews but is somewhat old and will soon be replaced by a more modern construction. Fuel efficiency is not the very best and some safety devices are missing. Built quality and long-term reliability has demonstrated good.

A major downside with the Renegade is the fact that it may tow just up to a 400 kg unbraked trailer, which is extraordinary little. The same sized Yeti may tow 600 or 700 kg. My present car, a small 1,5 L, 110 HP diesel Renault may tow 600. The major downside with the Yeti is that there is no low gear; still, in reviews it is regarded as competent off road compared to most other automatic SUVs of equal size (except the Renegade)

My conclusion so far is that the Renegade in principle might be the best choice (my boat on trailer may then be towed provided the speed doesn’t exceed 30 km/h). Alongside the extremely bad towing capacity there are however a few other concerns: In my part of the world salt is used on roads in wintertime to reduce slipperiness due to ice in order to reduce the risks for accidents. Salt causes however corrosion. Different brands of cars are better or worse protected against corrosion. Fiat has a bad reputation here, while the Yeti has not. Jeeps reputation is unknown. Fiat has also very bad reputation when it comes to general quality and reliability. The Fiat dealers and service are very badly valued in consumer enquiries, etc. Will this also be the same for the Renegade!?

Another aspect that bothers me is Jeep’s warranty in my country (Sweden). There is no brand that I know of that has a more limited warranty than Jeep, two years of “new car warranty” and 7 years for corrosion. 3, 5, 7 or even 10 years of “new car warranty” is becoming more and more common. For corrosion 12 years is norm. Fiat that builds the Renegade has 3 years “new car warranty” and 12 years for corrosion for the Fiats they build.

Now, thinking of a newly constructed vehicle with unknown, possibly questionable long term reliability and built quality and with a driveline that has demonstrated unreliable (in Cherokee), produced by a manufacturer with low quality reputation (Fiat), do you dare to buy it with the warranty offered? In addition, Jeep as dealer in Sweden doesn’t have a good reputation.

Therefore I hesitate.

On top of this, from another thread in this forum I have understood that the Jeep warranty varies between countries. What warranty do you have in your country? Why are there differences? Anyone knows?

How would you act in my situation?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Drive both to start with and see if one is more to your liking because most people are happier with a car they like. I would not worry about the towing especially with the Trail Hawk as it should handle 700 kg for short distances. Research the steel used as it may be zinc coated and better than other Fiat cars. Good luck in your choice.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Since you are from Sweden I assume that you know that both Teknikens Värld and Auto Motor & Sport are testing the Renegade up agaist the Yeti amongst others in their latest issues? (I haven't read the tests)

Anyway, like you I was also concerned about corrosion due to the use of salt on the Norwegian roads during wintertime. I therefore asked the dealer if the car needed extra rustproofing. The dealer immediately called the importer, who said that no additional rustproofing is needed. The importer also import Isuzu trucks, which are being given rustproofing. So apparently the Norwegian importer has given this some consideration and concluded that rustproofing is not needed on the Jeep. I guess only time will tell if that was the right conclusion.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Since
Anyway, like you I was also concerned about corrosion due to the use of salt on the Norwegian roads during wintertime. I therefore asked the dealer if the car needed extra rustproofing. The dealer immediately called the importer, who said that no additional rustproofing is needed. The importer also import Isuzu trucks, which are being given rustproofing. So apparently the Norwegian importer has given this some consideration and concluded that rustproofing is not needed on the Jeep. I guess only time will tell if that was the right conclusion.
This thread discusses the foam used in the Renegade hidden cavities, it may help with rust prevention?

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...pros-cons-2015-jeep-renegade-2.html#post49889

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.