Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have nodes under the driver side mirror

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have dealt with the noise issue since I bought my TH. Sometimes it annoys me, other times, not as much.

While showing off my TH to family this weekend, my uncle noticed something about the mirrors. He asked if the quarter inch node on the bottom of the passenger side mirror was a release to collapse the mirror in. Upon feeling it, it is static and press in at all, it's just a little plastic nipple (for lack of a better term) on the underside of the mirror.

Ironically, when I walked over to look at the drivers side mirror (where all the whistling occurs, there is no nipple! Manufacturer's error? Intentionally missing?

For me, I've found that the airflow around the mirror is an issue. I know this because sometimes, going 30-45 mph with my windows down, I still get the whistling noise. But as soon as I put my hand in the gap between the mirror and body of the car, it stops immediately.

What my uncle and I deduced is that the node on the passenger side mirror is intentional, and it is to break up the turbulence of the wind-flow that is causing the whistling at certain speeds. I have not placed anything of similar size under the drivers mirror to compare and see if it helps, but it's something I want to look into.

So, what I need from everyone is to check the underside of their mirrors and see if they have the same configuration as mine. Maybe we are on to something here...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have dealt with the noise issue since I bought my TH. Sometimes it annoys me, other times, not as much.

While showing off my TH to family this weekend, my uncle noticed something about the mirrors. He asked if the quarter inch node on the bottom of the passenger side mirror was a release to collapse the mirror in. Upon feeling it, it is static and press in at all, it's just a little plastic nipple (for lack of a better term) on the underside of the mirror.

Ironically, when I walked over to look at the drivers side mirror (where all the whistling occurs, there is no nipple! Manufacturer's error? Intentionally missing?

For me, I've found that the airflow around the mirror is an issue. I know this because sometimes, going 30-45 mph with my windows down, I still get the whistling noise. But as soon as I put my hand in the gap between the mirror and body of the car, it stops immediately.

What my uncle and I deduced is that the node on the passenger side mirror is intentional, and it is to break up the turbulence of the wind-flow that is causing the whistling at certain speeds. I have not placed anything of similar size under the drivers mirror to compare and see if it helps, but it's something I want to look into.

So, what I need from everyone is to check the underside of their mirrors and see if they have the same configuration as mine. Maybe we are on to something here...
That's your external temperature sensor probe :)

·
Registered
377 Posts

Not sure if it's the same sound as I had (wind buffeting at the driver side) but if you see the "Wind Noise" thread, they got mine fixed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've been out of the Renegade for 20 days and counting. They've played with the mirrors and replaced the window regulator to no avail.

Now they've said it could be "the sheet metal". Sounds like more dealer BS. Will try to figure out what the next step is and post back here...

I did notice the same thing as the OP though.

-A

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been out of the Renegade for 20 days and counting. They've played with the mirrors and replaced the window regulator to no avail.

Now they've said it could be "the sheet metal". Sounds like more dealer BS. Will try to figure out what the next step is and post back here...
I'm taking mine in tomorrow. They said they would probably have it done in about 24 hours. Didn't specify any details on what fixes they would try...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm taking mine in tomorrow. They said they would probably have it done in about 24 hours. Didn't specify any details on what fixes they would try...
I'd love to hear what your dealer says. I have not checked to see if I have nodes on both windows, but I know my passenger mirror has it at least.

I am experiencing the wind noise issue as well on my driver's side, but I can't take my renegade in yet until my fiance's car issues are resolved. I know the warranty is supposed to cover a vehicle while it is in the shop, but I'm weary about my local dealer looking at the Renegade, as they are not a volume seller like the dealer that I purchased it from an hour away.

I'm thinking about calling customer care and see what they'll tell me. I'm of course being really reasonable about this, as my Trailhawk is great otherwise.

·
Registered
377 Posts

I did notice the same thing as the OP though.

-A
Is this similar to mine? Blowing sound in the lower right corner of windshield?

If so, it's a weld without primer before the windshield seal was seated. It was a simple, fast fix once they got the new glass.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Pak,

We are getting our Renegade back tomorrow. I went down there today just to test drive and make sure it was gone. Indeed, it was. The wind noise not totally absent, but it seems about right for a Jeep. It's no longer a howling or whistling, just wind noise.

It was the drain holes in the door. They are masked off with tape and all is OK for now.

I'll have to periodically remove the tape and flush out the doors, but I'm ok with that if it is known remediation. Unless of course, my lemon law lawyer can unwind my whole thing. Then I'm Audi. :)

-A

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a whistle from my driver's side mirror for the last few weeks that was driving me crazy. Turned out there was a small crack in the plastic on my turn signal cover. Small piece of scotch tape to cover it fixed everything.

·
Super Moderator
4,764 Posts
I had a whistle from my driver's side mirror for the last few weeks that was driving me crazy. Turned out there was a small crack in the plastic on my turn signal cover. Small piece of scotch tape to cover it fixed everything.

and enjoy the forum!

Do an intro post! Glad you fixed the problem.
P.S. This post was 5 years old..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.