Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I drove her off the lot the transmission has been slipping it seemed but I am no mechanic. My husband thought I was going crazy but just recently felt what I was talking about when I let him drive her. We just reached 1000 miles on Monday.

Since I was not booked today or yesterday I let him drive her to work. Today, when he was on his way home for lunch, he felt the slip and then he smelt transmission fluid which it had not done for me. He called the dealer and they are fully booked for weeks for service appointments so we are taking her to Carmax in a few days since they are a Jeep dealer and they are going to try to squeeze us in. Fingers crossed that it is something they can fix and fixed quickly.

:confused:Anyone else has their transmission feel like it slips and then smell transmission fluid? If so, what was the outcome?

We are supposed to be driving back down to FL (8 hour drive) Friday to pick up some of our stuff out of storage since we just moved to GA. Hoping Blue will be fine so we can go since I really want to take her down to the Humvee "test field" to get a little dirty, lol.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wow, thats horrible! Sorry to hear this. I haven't had that ever happen with mine. Did you try to look for another Jeep dealership to take it to? I didn't know Carmax could service Jeeps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just drove my brand new 2015 Jeep Renegade off the lot not even 4 hours ago. I drove it home from the dealership (less than a 5 minute drive) and then took it to visit family about 30 minutes away. On the way home, as I was getting on the highway the service transmission message came up on my screen, and then the check engine light came on. I am not impressed at all. Please keep me updated as to what happens with your Jeep!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Update: took it into the dealership as soon as it opened this morning. They said that it was a transmission code that came up, but check engine light went off and they test drove it for approximately 30km. I got it back all was well and on my way home I got the same message "Service Transmission" and the check engine light came back on. Looks like I am going back to the dealership again tomorrow morning. I am extremely discouraged and disappointed by this.

·
Super Moderator
3,643 Posts
Update: took it into the dealership as soon as it opened this morning. They said that it was a transmission code that came up, but check engine light went off and they test drove it for approximately 30km. I got it back all was well and on my way home I got the same message "Service Transmission" and the check engine light came back on. Looks like I am going back to the dealership again tomorrow morning. I am extremely discouraged and disappointed by this.
Did they check the firmware version? More importantly did they check it within the individual modules rather than just the main screen on the diagnostic system. Some versions of the firmware show up as up to date at the top level while showing out of date at the individual module screens.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did they check the firmware version? More importantly did they check it within the individual modules rather than just the main screen on the diagnostic system. Some versions of the firmware show up as up to date at the top level while showing out of date at the individual module screens.
I'm not exactly sure what they've checked so far. I took it back in for the second time so far since I've had it (all of 2 days) and they have just given me a rental car as they are keeping it to do more tests. What tests, I have no idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My renegade would slam in and out of gear and rev in top gear like it was going to die. It would get worse as the engine got warmer. After 4 weeks and a lot of tests, they discovered water in the transmission that apparently was there from the beginning. They are installing a whole new transmission and I hope to get it back soon. I never smelled transmission fluid though. Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My renegade would slam in and out of gear and rev in top gear like it was going to die. It would get worse as the engine got warmer. After 4 weeks and a lot of tests, they discovered water in the transmission that apparently was there from the beginning. They are installing a whole new transmission and I hope to get it back soon. I never smelled transmission fluid though. Good luck.
Yikes! Hopefully you get it back quickly. I was told that if what they're doing to it now doesn't solve the problem, they are not changing the transmission, but I am getting a completely new car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well our transmission got replaced. Now we have new problems. 1st problem is when you put it in park it makes a bad clunk and rolls forward also some how they messed uo steering. If I hold the wheel straight we make a left turn. Engine is also now making noises. On top of it I decided to climb under it and take a look the scratched everything up and removed paint exposing bare metal on the cross member bars. So back to the d and another phone call to the lawyer to see where my lemon law suit is at.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just turned 3200 miles and it just developed the clunk noise when putting it into park. It does it every time now, but did not before. Worried this is the start of other transmission related problems.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
But 1 time is too many if you ask me.
Too true. There are certainly problems that need to be addressed. I haven't got mine yet, a manual transmission, but it would fill me with dread everytime I get in it. Will it or won't it work as it should. FCA need to do something and make it fast.

Reactions: firstnew1

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Yes had mine to the dealer ship yesterday. Could not get it to do it while at the dealer ship.Mine is not doing it every time.But 1 time is too many if you ask me.
One time certainly is too many, however our dealerships do need to be able to duplicate the concern in order to properly diagnose a vehicle. If this persists, it may be helpful to have the dealership hold on to your vehicle for a couple days in order to give them more opportunities to duplicate what you are experiencing.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
One time certainly is too many, however our dealerships do need to be able to duplicate the concern in order to properly diagnose a vehicle. If this persists, it may be helpful to have the dealership hold on to your vehicle for a couple days in order to give them more opportunities to duplicate what you are experiencing.
I agree with that. When I was at Renault and a customer came in with certain fault, the car was left in the care of the workshop to hopefully diagnose the fault(s). Some were easier than others, especially when the fault was intermittent. We would so our damnedest to rectify the fault(s), but sometimes the car didn't do the faults. The customer got the car back and then the car's fault started again. Then the customer complained that the car had not been looked at, when in fact the car had been looked at. I know some dealers fob off the customer with excuses, this is bound to happen, but for most of the time they are in the minority.

·
Registered
1 Posts
These Renegades are Junk... I have just over 5,000 Miles on mine now and have been in the shop 6 times. Doors wouldn't open or lock, Trans clunky and non responsive. Then on a trip more than 3hrs from home the cooling fan module blew up / melted whatever. They told me I could go get a hotel and bring it back in the morning... on my own dime! Oh and then there is the wonderful Traction control that likes to come on whenever it wants while making left-hand turns. Yes that one is fun when your pulling out into traffic and your Jeep nearly comes to a stop!!! I don't even bother them anymore with why the engine is so loud, why it drives like crap (transmission just stinks), I have all but given up!
I am on my way later today, back to the dealer again, probably in a rental again while they try to figure it out. I guess the good news is I keep getting to drive all these other cars so I can figure out what to replace my Renegade with!
The last time I took it in, they had if for 2 days and then called to say they have gotten all the "updates" done and are just starting to work on my issue now??? Sorry Jeep, but I didn't plunk down my hard earned $30K to test drive your piece of crap while you figure out what's wrong with it. You should be paying me to drive this thing!

·
Super Moderator
3,643 Posts
These Renegades are Junk... I have just over 5,000 Miles on mine now and have been in the shop 6 times. Doors wouldn't open or lock, Trans clunky and non responsive. Then on a trip more than 3hrs from home the cooling fan module blew up / melted whatever. They told me I could go get a hotel and bring it back in the morning... on my own dime! Oh and then there is the wonderful Traction control that likes to come on whenever it wants while making left-hand turns. Yes that one is fun when your pulling out into traffic and your Jeep nearly comes to a stop!!! I don't even bother them anymore with why the engine is so loud, why it drives like crap (transmission just stinks), I have all but given up!
I am on my way later today, back to the dealer again, probably in a rental again while they try to figure it out. I guess the good news is I keep getting to drive all these other cars so I can figure out what to replace my Renegade with!
The last time I took it in, they had if for 2 days and then called to say they have gotten all the "updates" done and are just starting to work on my issue now??? Sorry Jeep, but I didn't plunk down my hard earned $30K to test drive your piece of crap while you figure out what's wrong with it. You should be paying me to drive this thing!
You listed three things? What are the other three things? One would think you would have hit a lemon law threshold at this point.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.