Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Renegade Sport with No AC. It was a very good price. It is a FWD and four cylinder standard trans. What would you imagine the cost to add aftermarket AC in this vehicle. I am mechanically inclined typically service my own cars. Is this something a garage mechanic do?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2017 Renegade Sport with No AC. It was a very good price. It is a FWD and four cylinder standard trans. What would you imagine the cost to add aftermarket AC in this vehicle. I am mechanically inclined typically service my own cars. Is this something a garage mechanic do?
More then it would cost to trade it on one that has A/C from the factory.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Unless they have improved drastically, the kind of aftermarket A/C units that you strap under your dash look like crap and work like crap. Like it's been said, it would probably be best to trade in and get one with factory A/C.

The cost to add a factory A/C unit into your existing vehicle will probably exceed the book value of your current vehicle. Well, probably close...

Actually, I didn't know any modern vehicles were sold without A/C nowadays. At least in the lower 48, maybe in Alaska and Canada...

Reactions: mak1965

·
Registered
1 Posts
they actually are sold in the lower 48 as well. I own a used car lot and bought a 2017 Jeep Renegade without AC and researched it a bit and found out that it is more common than you think. i am actually in the process of costing out putting in an OEM system or a very good aftermarket system. I will let you know. I originally thought i just got an amazing deal on the jeep when i bought it at auction. Come to find out a got a pretty good deal if I can put in an AC system for $3500 or less. If I can accomplish that, I have it sold to a couple that put down a deposit knowing I have to price it out prior and if it makes sense we move forward with the sale. After the $3500 AC system I will still make $2900 on the deal. I'll do those all day long.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up a NEW 2018 sport with the 1.4 and 6 speed manual trans.... but no A/C.

Sat on the dealer lot for over 3 years and got a killer deal.

I will be installing A/C on it over the next 2 months. I was able to find someone with a wrecked 2018 1.4 with 600 miles on it that had a/c and I bought all the components for $1,000.

Programming aside, the physical components needed are as follows:

Compressor
Condenser
High and low side lines
Belt tensioner w/ idler pulley
Serpentine belt
Relay and fuse for fuse panel
Interior HVAC controls
And last but not least.... the Evaporator (behind the dash inside the car)

Biggest problem is going to be figuring out what wiring is there and not there. Seems like some stuff is there but the fuse panel is missing wiring.

We will see how this goes!

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L
697 Posts
I just picked up a NEW 2018 sport with the 1.4 and 6 speed manual trans.... but no A/C.

Sat on the dealer lot for over 3 years and got a killer deal.

I will be installing A/C on it over the next 2 months. I was able to find someone with a wrecked 2018 1.4 with 600 miles on it that had a/c and I bought all the components for $1,000.

Programming aside, the physical components needed are as follows:

Compressor
Condenser
High and low side lines
Belt tensioner w/ idler pulley
Serpentine belt
Relay and fuse for fuse panel
Interior HVAC controls
And last but not least.... the Evaporator (behind the dash inside the car)

Biggest problem is going to be figuring out what wiring is there and not there. Seems like some stuff is there but the fuse panel is missing wiring.

We will see how this goes!
Am interested to see how things go with this!

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Guys you can always trust me to find an easy option.

Wind down the window :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apologies Plhetter, I really should know better than to take the mickey. It's just me having some fun. :D

I know the guys that have answered above are all way more experienced than wee cheeky, me (y)(y)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Guys you can always trust me to find an easy option.

Wind down the window :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apologies Plhetter, I really should know better than to take the mickey. It's just me having some fun. :D

I know the guys that have answered above are all way more experienced than wee cheeky, me (y)(y)
Hit the nail on the head. 😆

·
Registered
697 Posts
In all honesty I can’t live without AC. Even in my old Wrangler. 😂 The reason I’m interested in this retrofit is because my wife said I can’t get another Wrangler unless it’s new. I was planning on major mods, so definitely can’t afford a new wrangler AND the mods, so I’m trying to shave as much money off the new JL as possible (AC delete for starters). In the future would be nice to add AC back.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
I must admit that air-con was wonderful when I drove my "taxi" (Private hire, just another part-time Firefighters job) and it was a warm day in Scotland.

Why all cars Jeeps don't have it is beyond me for the sake of a few $$$s more during manufacturing.

Jason, "she" told you to get a new Wrangler! Bite her hand off and buy it afterall to me that was permission :p:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Am interested to see how things go with this!
So family needs change as well as work requiring me to move. I will not be able to take the Renegade with me unfortunately.

I was going to start the install of the A/C soon but I got orders to move.

As listed in my comment above, I have all the parts for the A/C. Looking to sell all for $500. Half of what I paid for it.

If Interested, message me. I'm in Huntsville, AL currently. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
I have seen this happen unfortunately to guys with boats.

They buy items to fit and are full of enthusiasm in the initial stages. Realisation hits them as to what is truly involved and they give in. Then comes the panic when the wife knows what they have spent so they try and recover some monetary loss in the hope that a fool will buy the goods that they were unsuccessfully able to install.

Here's hoping you can change around your misfortune before she finds out. Please keep us updated. (y)(y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have seen this happen unfortunately to guys with boats.

They buy items to fit and are full of enthusiasm in the initial stages. Realisation hits them as to what is truly involved and they give in. Then comes the panic when the wife knows what they have spent so they try and recover some monetary loss in the hope that a fool will buy the goods that they were unsuccessfully able to install.

Here's hoping you can change around your misfortune before she finds out. Please keep us updated. (y)(y)

Well considering the Renegade was my wife's car and she was with me pulling out the parts to put A/C in, I'd say there's no misfortune here.

I wouldn't say work requiring me to move to a different state, far away, into an apartment with no room to work on the Renegade counts as "realization hitting".

Either way, thanks for your input!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts