Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
So I had an old uniden CB laying around the garage and I was determined to mount it somewhere in my TH. So I decided to make a removable mounting bracket. I used some 5052 aluminum and created the sheet metal template in solidworks. I simply cut it out on a bandsaw. Came out pretty well and it's completely removable. It hangs onto the glove box and then sticks with some simple velcro. I also have a removable "Lil wil" antenna that stick to the roof. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Agreed. I need to transfer my Cobra "one hander" all in one unit to the Renegade, will put the power and interface box in back, extension cable to all in one mic in front, if all goes well. I do, however like your idea! Did you pad the back of the metal to avoid damaging the plastic of the dash? It looks SUPER!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I used to run a CB in my '88 200SX. I took many road trips in that car between 2001-2006, and the CB was awesome. By impersonating a trucker on Ch. 19 I could find out about every speed trap for a hundred miles in any direction. Lots of entertaining chatter, too.

Is there still a lot of traffic on CB?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quoting (quote function didn't work) "Nice job. I added a Cobra 75 to ours. CB is a must in our club."

That's the unit I've had in 3 vehicles once it's installed in this jeep. Where did you put the power/antenna interface for it, and was running wires difficult? Curious where you pulled power from, etc. Have to order a new power/antenna box for this Renegade, left the old one in my Liberty I sold, it was easier!

·
Registered
114 Posts
So I had an old uniden CB laying around the garage and I was determined to mount it somewhere in my TH. So I decided to make a removable mounting bracket. I used some 5052 aluminum and created the sheet metal template in solidworks. I simply cut it out on a bandsaw. Came out pretty well and it's completely removable. It hangs onto the glove box and then sticks with some simple velcro. I also have a removable "Lil wil" antenna that stick to the roof. What do you think?
Really nice job! You must have hands like a surgeon to cut it that straight. Great idea too.

·
Super Moderator
4,682 Posts
Quoting (quote function didn't work) "Nice job. I added a Cobra 75 to ours. CB is a must in our club."

That's the unit I've had in 3 vehicles once it's installed in this jeep. Where did you put the power/antenna interface for it, and was running wires difficult? Curious where you pulled power from, etc. Have to order a new power/antenna box for this Renegade, left the old one in my Liberty I sold, it was easier!
For the CB ran the wires all the way up to the battery it was a bit of a PIA and mounted the base under the glove box. I could not find a great place for the antenna so I went with a magnet mount.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks! I've been stumped by antenna mount, too. Had magnetic on the Jeep, being a new owner, picky about scratching so I resist doing that, but good magnets don't move unless you WANT them to! Thanks for the information! Was there plenty of room in back of the glovebox to work with the placement of the small interface?

·
Registered
604 Posts
The one in my old Nissan is a Uniden. I mounted it vertically against the center console in the passenger footwell. Pic is from about 12 years ago:

I had a short glass-mount whip antenna on the rear hatch:

I ran the antenna cable under the edge of the headliner molding over the rear passenger quarter window and down the B-pillar, then along the bottom of the passenger door (again under the molding), and up under the glovebox to the CB.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you are looking for a place to mount the antenna without scratching the paid you might consider a fenderlip mount with something like a Browning BR-140 NMO style antenna or using a Firestik Firering coax with a stud mount antenna.

Sure the BR-140 is a bit long (about 50") but it will also work better than the super short antennas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.