Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After adding heated seats I am missing the heated steering wheel from my old car. Of I look at:

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1728603&ukey_make=1064&ukey_model=20489&modelYear=2017&ukey_category=20316&ukey_driveLine=11765&ukey_trimLevel=27113&searchString=Wheel

It appears the only difference is steering wheels is the color, so I am thinking all steering wheels have the heating element built in (way cheaper than making a different steering wheel for $1 worth of wire and dealing with the logistics trail 100x that).

Can anyone confirm if all steering wheels have the heating element and worst case I need to run a wire from the steering wheel to heat it? I didn't check if there are different steering wheel harnesses used. It's possible I just need to hook to a harness in the dash pre wired but worst case if the steering wheel is the same I just need to snake some wires into the steering wheel and add a switch and wire into the fuse box.

Anyone know one way or the other?

Thanks.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Consider this a bump. I drove our 2016 last night with the heated wheel on, and it really radiated the heat. I wish it had a lower setting. It was about 28 degrees outside. Not sure if I like it or not. Don't usually use gloves either when driving.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't confirm either way but i would also love to know. I would love to add a heated steering wheel!
I will likely just dig in and find out. When I do I will post my findings. This may add a heated steering wheel for everyone that wants it for $1 in wire and a $5 switch.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Consider this a bump. I drove our 2016 last night with the heated wheel on, and it really radiated the heat. I wish it had a lower setting. It was about 28 degrees outside. Not sure if I like it or not. Don't usually use gloves either when driving.
I agree it does get pretty warm. I only use it for about 5 mins.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Heated steering wheel is a different part number than Non heated. Then you have switch possable additional wiring and programming of the various computers....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heated steering wheel is a different part number than Non heated. Then you have switch possable additional wiring and programming of the various computers....
Most simply it's a resistor so you just need to run current through it to heat it up. I would expect for safety reasons a thermistor is built into the steering wheel so as it heats up the current becomes limited. Like adding heated seats you don't need to do anything with the car computer, just wire the "big steering wheel resistor" to a power source and a switch. I don't intend on using the factory switch and computer to do that. That being said if the steering wheel with the built in resistor for heating it is a different part number the point is moot. But a quick look in the link I posted above seemed to show the only difference between steering wheels is the color. As cheaply it would cost to put a resistor and thermistor in every steering wheel I wouldn't be surprised if they all have it. I will investigate the available steering wheel part numbers again before I dig in.

·
Registered
681 Posts
As cheaply it would cost to put a resistor and thermistor in every steering wheel I wouldn't be surprised if they all have it.
Knowing how they cost such things I'd be surprised if they do.

But even if it does, how will you run the wire from the switch to the steering wheel?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Knowing how they cost such things I'd be surprised if they do.

But even if it does, how will you run the wire from the switch to the steering wheel?
The steering wheel retails at $800. That resistor and thermistor are probably $2 in material. So the logistics of actually creating a separate part to put in the supply chain more than exceeds that cost. So I wouldn't be surprised if they all have it, but I don't know for sure. If they do, the existing steering wheel harness likely also has it wired. If it does I need a couple feet of wire, a fuse tap, and a $5 switch to wire it up. If the harness doesn't have it wired I am hoping I can snake a wire through the column. There should be enough slack in the wire if I install it in the column that when turning the wheel it should be fine. We will see!

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you go back up the supply chain far enough the cost of materials to build a complete car is zero. It's all just stuff lying around under/on the planet. All the cost is in the processing it to look like a car. That $2 resistance has to be fitted to the wheel and wired to the hub. Then it gets marked up along with everything else as it goes from supplier to the factory to the country to the dealer and to you, by which time it's added $100 to the sticker price.

You may be right and it's in there. It will be interesting to hear what you find. (My money is still against it, especially with what TH4x4 says :) )

·
Registered
9 Posts
After adding heated seats I am missing the heated steering wheel from my old car. Of I look at:

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1728603&ukey_make=1064&ukey_model=20489&modelYear=2017&ukey_category=20316&ukey_driveLine=11765&ukey_trimLevel=27113&searchString=Wheel

It appears the only difference is steering wheels is the color, so I am thinking all steering wheels have the heating element built in (way cheaper than making a different steering wheel for $1 worth of wire and dealing with the logistics trail 100x that).

Can anyone confirm if all steering wheels have the heating element and worst case I need to run a wire from the steering wheel to heat it? I didn't check if there are different steering wheel harnesses used. It's possible I just need to hook to a harness in the dash pre wired but worst case if the steering wheel is the same I just need to snake some wires into the steering wheel and add a switch and wire into the fuse box.

Anyone know one way or the other?

Thanks.

Did you find anything out on this?? I would like to do that as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts