Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

So I have been noticing that my head lights are pointing more downward that straight ahead and it's not allowing my lights to fully function in the dark the way I want them to. I tried to re-adjust them to try and get them to move upwards a little but for some reason, I cant get them to move.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else noticed this in their Renegades or is it just me?

· Registered
1,613 Posts
Hey everyone!

So I have been noticing that my head lights are pointing more downward that straight ahead and it's not allowing my lights to fully function in the dark the way I want them to. I tried to re-adjust them to try and get them to move upwards a little but for some reason, I cant get them to move.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else noticed this in their Renegades or is it just me?
Have you tried physically adjusting them or using the switch on the dash?

· Registered
580 Posts
Have you tried physically adjusting them or using the switch on the dash?
Somehow I doubt that US cars, unless equipped with HID lights, ever come with a headlight leveler. Remember, the US is, compared to Europe, far behind times when it comes to car lighting equipment and regulations. Hence I have been driving with e-codes (legal in some US states) for the past 19 years.

Presuming a highlight leveler being present and the system being set up properly, the headlight leveler dial on the dash does not allow to raise the beam (beyond the allowed maximum). The dial only lets you turn the beam down for a vehicle that is more loaded in the rear. If, with the headlight leveler turned up all the way, beam reach comes up short, the lights themselves must be adjusted. With the headlight leveler system not properly set up, the dial will not allow for the proper adjustment range. Low beams have usually a range between 45 and 75 meters. Mounting height of the headlights does indirectly have an effect on range.

The lights themselves are adjustable via adjustment screws on the housing, usually one screw for each axis.

· Registered
1,613 Posts
Somehow I doubt that US cars, unless equipped with HID lights, ever come with a headlight leveler. Remember, the US is, compared to Europe, far behind times when it comes to car lighting equipment and regulations. Hence I have been driving with e-codes (legal in some US states) for the past 19 years.

Presuming a highlight leveler being present and the system being set up properly, the headlight leveler dial on the dash does not allow to raise the beam (beyond the allowed maximum). The dial only lets you turn the beam down for a vehicle that is more loaded in the rear. If, with the headlight leveler turned up all the way, beam reach comes up short, the lights themselves must be adjusted. With the headlight leveler system not properly set up, the dial will not allow for the proper adjustment range. Low beams have usually a range between 45 and 75 meters. Mounting height of the headlights does indirectly have an effect on range.

The lights themselves are adjustable via adjustment screws on the housing, usually one screw for each axis.
It depends which way the dial is set. I have HIDs and mine was set down when I got it. Even with HIDs the beam was just ok, so I adjusted it up and it is now fantastic. I was thinking that if he used the screws it should have moved.

· Registered
580 Posts
It depends which way the dial is set. I have HIDs and mine was set down when I got it. Even with HIDs the beam was just ok, so I adjusted it up and it is now fantastic. I was thinking that if he used the screws it should have moved.
I want to convey that with the headlight leveling system properly set up, the highest legal setting is matched to the highest position on the dial. If that baseline relationship is off, the headlights, set too the highest setting via the headlight leveler, will either not reach far enough or they will aim too high and will blind oncoming traffic.

· Registered
1,613 Posts
I want to convey that with the headlight leveling system properly set up, the highest legal setting is matched to the highest position on the dial. If that baseline relationship is off, the headlights, set too the highest setting via the headlight leveler, may either not reach far enough or they may aim too high and will blind oncoming traffic.
We are not talking about the levelling system here.
Has the op tried using the dial to raise the lights or the screws?

· Registered
580 Posts
We are not talking about the levelling system here.
Has the op tried using the dial to raise the lights or the screws?
The dial would be the leveling system. Well, who asked the following? Have you tried physically adjusting them or using the switch on the dash?

That's what got me going on the headlight leveler, which a US Renegade most likely does not have to begin with. The info on how the leveler is supposed to work was merely gratuitous and thrown is as a hopefully relevant addendum.

As for turning the adjustment screws, sadly I have seen stripped (threads and/or slots) ones on even new vehicles. Only the OP can clarify how he attempted adjustment.

· Registered
1,613 Posts
The dial would be the leveling system. Well, who asked the following? Have you tried physically adjusting them or using the switch on the dash?

That's what got me going on the headlight leveler, which a US Renegade most likely does not have to begin with. The info on how the leveler is supposed to work was merely gratuitous and thrown is as a hopefully relevant addendum.

As for turning the adjustment screws, sadly I have seen stripped (threads and/or slots) ones on even new vehicles. Only the OP can clarify how he attempted adjustment.
Separated by a common language:D

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you take a picture of the screws you mentioned so I know exactly which ones you're talking about? Thanks!

· Registered
580 Posts
Can you take a picture of the screws you mentioned so I know exactly which ones you're talking about? Thanks!
I don't have a Renegade yet, so I can't take a picture. The adjustment screws are generally in the headlight housing. One is for up/down and the other for left/right adjustment. Look for probably white nylon screws that can be turned with a Philips screwdriver or with an Allen (hex) key.

You can see one of the two screws under the round label that has U02 on it in this picture, which I borrowed from rjl9. I hope he doesn't mind. Disregard the orange arrow, which points at the tab that needs to be pulled to remove the rear cover to gain access to the bulb. Look around on the actual light for the other adjustment screw, which looks the same.

· Registered
10 Posts
Thanks, my head light r kinda aiming too high , in my case,since i have put a hitch on and it dropped about an inch in the back ,and with HID s on i ve noticed that some drivers r getting behid me and putting their high beams on me lol:)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.