Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife wants a new Renegade. While test driving a Limited I noticed a burning smell from the engine after I accelerated on the highway. The salesman said it was common due to the paper gaskets, but the smell would go away when the gaskets adjusted. Sounds suspicious. Anyone have similar experience? Wife loves this car but...

·
Registered
140 Posts
im no expert at all but my first test drive in one had similar smell, the one i bought was driven in from 600km away so don't think i noticed it but already had time to go away since it was on a 6hr highway trip before i got it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My wife detected the smell the second day we owned it. It was strongest where the passenger side headlight is when I took a whiff. It went away after a couple days, however. I've done lots of work on my Cherokee and experienced similar odors when changing gaskets. I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets stronger or lasts for a long time.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MBailey

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I could be something as simple as a paper label on the exhaust somewhere. Or a little grease/oil on the outside of the engine. As long as it goes away and doesn't return, you'll be okay.

But:
. . . The salesman said it was common due to the paper gaskets, but the smell would go away when the gaskets adjusted. . .
The gaskets adjusted? I wonder if they taught him that at salesman school?

Reactions: MBailey

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I have a UK model and never had any untoward smells. Or if there was, I didn't notice it.

The missus noticed a smell, but when she saw I had a smile, she knew I had done a botty burp :eek:>:D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Watched a video on YouTube where they show what causes the smell. There is a paper sticker (covered in numbers) placed on a part of the engine that gets very hot. Early in its life, the Jeep will burn it off, and hence the smell soon goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.