Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Trailhawk came with no hitch. I have price a mopar replacement bumper and hitch put on will be 650 plus labor. Anyone know of a good after market hitch for the Thawk that doesn't require a new bumper? I almost bought a "curt" hitch, but just found out it fits all renegades except the THawk...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm not sure if it's the same hitch you're talking about, but I got a Curt from E-Trailer for my Latitude. It was easy to install, but it's really low. I'll probably upgrade to the bumper hitch at some point.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input...
Renegade ready has the "bumper hitch" and an under-bumper option. I assume the bumper option included a new bumper facia with the cut out and the hitch? So that and a wiring kit would give you a hitch at the height and strength of the factory option?
Second, what are the downsides of having he lower, under bumper option- I assume you could bottom out the hitch easier, would the specs be the same? Hitch weight as well as pull weight?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for the input...
Renegade ready has the "bumper hitch" and an under-bumper option. I assume the bumper option included a new bumper facia with the cut out and the hitch? So that and a wiring kit would give you a hitch at the height and strength of the factory option?
Second, what are the downsides of having he lower, under bumper option- I assume you could bottom out the hitch easier, would the specs be the same? Hitch weight as well as pull weight?
Not quite. The Renegade Ready kit comes with a template to cut the hole out yourself. That's part of the leap of faith. :) My cutout isn't perfect, but close. :) It's good enough for a rig I plan to keep for a long time.

Give them a call and they can talk you through it. They were a great help on the phone before I bought mine. Seem to be good people.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Couldnt you just modify the TH bumper by cutting out whats needed instead of replacing the whole bumper?
There are two parts. The metal bumper, which has the hitch integrated. So the process is to remove the old metal bumper and install a new metal bumper with the hitch integrated.

The other part is the cover, or fascia. A hole needs to be cut in that to allow access to the hitch part of the new bumper. I should dig up my pics and video.

Oh, heck. Here. Not as well produced as I'd like. :-D
https://youtu.be/0qOhhEI7flU

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, Rene, after you install the bumper with hitch, and cut out the old facia to allow for the hitch, it appears there is an "insert" to place in the new cut out region to cover any less than perfect cuts? Does that part come with the Renegade ready kit?
Thanks for the info and the link. Not sure a mechanical idiot like me should tackle this, but...

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are two parts. The metal bumper, which has the hitch integrated. So the process is to remove the old metal bumper and install a new metal bumper with the hitch integrated.

The other part is the cover, or fascia. A hole needs to be cut in that to allow access to the hitch part of the new bumper. I should dig up my pics and video.

Oh, heck. Here. Not as well produced as I'd like. :-D
https://youtu.be/0qOhhEI7flU
Man...great job!
I watched the utube. looked like a **** of a project. I was getting a bit worried when you disassembled the whole rear end. looks very labor intensive. how long was it from start to finish? anyway. it looks great. keep on jeepin'

·
Registered
111 Posts
Man...great job!
I watched the utube. looked like a **** of a project. I was getting a bit worried when you disassembled the whole rear end. looks very labor intensive. how long was it from start to finish? anyway. it looks great. keep on jeepin'
It was less than two whole days. I had put it off until right before our summer road trip. :)

Yeah, taking it apart like that was 'exciting'.

The instructions and kit from Renegade Ready are very good.

I did skip over getting some trim clips back in place, but it's all working fine and I have the clips if I'm ever so motivated.
The clips for the piece at 1:14 is what I'm referring too. That part was tricky.
There is a bold in there to deal with.
If I wasn't in a hurry I may have spent more time getting the old clips out and installing the new ones. It's working & looking fine though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure if you've taken any action regarding getting a trailer hitch for your TH.... I noticed your discussion on the subject from last week. I bought a '15 TH in Dec. that didn't have a hitch. I went ahead and had an under-bumper hitch installed. I actually use my TH in 'off-road' conditions and noticed the hitch bottomed-out a bit in the 'snow' while coming out of a deep trench.
If you're not going to be driving in serious off-road conditions you might be OK with an under-bumper hitch -- it has the same 'class' and towing cap. as the factory hitch. You're probably not in my part of the world, but if you are and if you're thinking of going under-bumper, I have a virtually brand new hitch I'd be willing to sell for a huge discount. I live in Toronto. Any interest?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ren2015, thanks for the info. No, not in your area and I have decided to do the Renegade Ready bumper replacement and facia cute. Was talked out of the under bumper hitch by someone who would know and by Renespaz, who took the project on himself!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Elirenegade, thanks for the reply - no problem, just thought I'd ask. I guess I'll put the hitch on Kijiji and see if anyone's interested. I watched the renspaz video - impressive! Good luck with the install

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.