Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to badlittlemunky ideas, I started this thread.

In the hopes that some of the Aftermarket Accessory companies will begin to take notice of the great interest in the new Renegade, lets start this thread with all our wish lists for aftermarket accessories. Hopefully some of these companies will read this thread and take notice of the kinds of things we would like to see and begin to offer them when the Renegade comes out.

To keep weight to a minimum all products need to be made out of high strength grade aluminum (the type that is equal to or better that steel) in order to maintain the expected high fuel mileage.

Here is the start of my wishlist:

Aluminum Rock Rails
Aerodynamic Custom Roof Baskets (with built-in look to factory rails)
Aerodynamic Light Bars to blend into the Custom Roof Baskets (with aerodynamic lens covers)
Brush Armor (to avoid body rash, clear door guard film, etc.)
Custom Front & Rear Bumpers with Hidden Winch Mounts
Lift Kits
Suspension Mods

Others?

Reactions: rtravis1946

·
Registered
7 Posts
Accessories Wish List

Thanks to badlittlemunky ideas, I started this thread.

In the hopes that some of the Aftermarket Accessory companies will begin to take notice of the great interest in the new Renegade, lets start this thread with all our wish lists for aftermarket accessories. Hopefully some of these companies will read this thread and take notice of the kinds of things we would like to see and begin to offer them when the Renegade comes out.

To keep weight to a minimum all products need to be made out of high strength grade aluminum (the type that is equal to or better that steel) in order to maintain the expected high fuel mileage.

Here is the start of my wishlist:

Aluminum Rock Rails
Aerodynamic Custom Roof Baskets (with built-in look to factory rails)
Aerodynamic Light Bars to blend into the Custom Roof Baskets (with aerodynamic lens covers)
Brush Armor (to avoid body rash, clear door guard film, etc.)
Custom Front & Rear Bumpers with Hidden Winch Mounts
Lift Kits
Suspension Mods

Others?
Nice! :) Almost every single thing you mentioned would be on my wish list for the Renegade, too! To that wish list, I'd add a rear tire carrier for the bumper and a real-deal, functional snorkel.

I read an interview with Phil Jansen on infinitelywild.gizomodo.com in which he says that the “The normal tires will be 215/60-17s or 225/65-18s. We'll keep the 18s available for our Limited model and that will be a Goodyear or Kumho tire…” With 215/60-17 being the rough equivalent to 27x8.5x17 and 225/65-18s being about 30x8.86x18s, I wonder how the factory flares will stand up to removal/mods to accept 32" or 33" tires without a ridiculous amount of lift. The photos of the Trailhawk edition give the appearance that even 31" tires would be a tight fit with the factory plastic in place. I guess we'll have to see what can be done once these things roll off the assembly line.

I really like the idea of the hidden winch mount and wonder just how tight the space is behind the bumper's grille. I'd like to see a front bumper with a hidden winch mount that improves the already decent approach angle. And, on that note, I'm curious as to how the aftermarket will deal with the plastic lower wrap-around front fascia.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Will it be easy to do a suspension mod, and how do you know you want that without having driven the Renegade yet? I just heard that you can't lift the Renegade because of its suspension so I was thinking that the suspension may not be the easiest thing to play with.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I want some nice vent visors, aerodynamic preferably since they tend to have curves that make them look even cooler.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will it be easy to do a suspension mod, I just heard that you can't lift the Renegade because of its suspension so I was thinking that the suspension may not be the easiest thing to play with.
"can't" is a relative word, just means it may be more expensive. Remember, this is a "Wish List"

and how do you know you want that without having driven the Renegade yet?
Look at the Renegade's big brother, the Wrangler and you can get inspiration for your "Wish List"

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More expensive and result in extremely picky handling dynamics... and try to kill you all the time.
raz-0, you are correct, very valid points, that is why I don't want a Wrangler, and I'm not sure I would personally lift my future Renegade Trailhawk, that said, I'm sure if it is possible some will want to do a lift.

But hopefully there are plenty of other accessories that some of the aftermaket companies may want to build and sell.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Keeping in mind what you want to do with a future jeep of yours is a good way to decide which to go for as the renegade might not have as much aftermarket support as the wrangler, plus the wrangler is clearly the better off road vehicle.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I bet that next year at MOAB we will see some Renegades with pretty cool set-ups. I'm looking forward to seeing what Jeep does with the Renegade then.

·
Super Moderator
3,475 Posts
raz-0, you are correct, very valid points, that is why I don't want a Wrangler, and I'm not sure I would personally lift my future Renegade Trailhawk, that said, I'm sure if it is possible some will want to do a lift.

But hopefully there are plenty of other accessories that some of the aftermaket companies may want to build and sell.
For a solid axle, the solutions are pretty sorted out. All you have to worry about is rollover, and depending on the kit and the height, and possibly you lumbar vertebrae and kidneys ;)

I was more speaking about the fact you WILL be able to make the vehicle tall. The question is price and safety. Some tuner shop WILL lift one, simply because it is going to be relatively affordable and people will say you can't, so there will be bragging rights. Will it be commercially viable due to cost or safety? Who knows.

Heck, I saw a 3 inch suspension lift for the 2G mitsubishi eclipse built for rallying, and on a car with a low CG like that and about 2" of suspension travel, it worked from all appearances. It wasn't even absurdly expensive compared to a decent coil over kit, so struts up front doesn't mean you can't lift something. A tall car with more suspension articulation designed in from the get go? Dunno.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
now, THAT'S COOL, excellent job, I want one.

I have wondered about larger tires, you know someone will do it. My concern, beyond the normal speedometer calibration is what happens to the 9 speed, software controlled automatic transmission. With as many problems Jeep had with the early Cherokee KLs in figuring out how to program them. Maybe the the first guys to get larger tires on the Cherokee forums will figure it out?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
YEah, opening up the wheel wells in a unibody will be very feasible as a kit. ;)
Jeep Renegade Wheel Well Kit, at a Harbor Freight near you, only $79.95

image_13972.jpg image_12941.jpg

In all seriousness, what we can hope for is that the stock plastic well trim can be removed and a aftermarket company comes out with a thin line version that opens up more room.

Reactions: badlittlemunky

·
Registered
7 Posts
now, THAT'S COOL, excellent job, I want one.

I have wondered about larger tires, you know someone will do it. My concern, beyond the normal speedometer calibration is what happens to the 9 speed, software controlled automatic transmission. With as many problems Jeep had with the early Cherokee KLs in figuring out how to program them. Maybe the the first guys to get larger tires on the Cherokee forums will figure it out?
Hopefully the folks at DiabloSport or other tuner companies will get on the ball. Abarth and Dart owners have been begging DS for a tuner for the 1.4L for quite some time. If Renegade sales really take off, maybe DS will feel some pressure to push tuners for the 2.4L/9spd auto and the 1.4L through in the next year or two. Their development times are a little laggy, but they're a small company.

YEah, opening up the wheel wells in a unibody will be very feasible as a kit. ;)
Heh heh! Yeah, I'm interested in seeing what, if anything can be done about that. >:D

1 - 20 of 78 Posts