Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 11 and 9 year old that always want to ride in the front seat. My other car has a sensor that if they do not weigh enough, it turns off the passenger air bag and there is also a light that says that it is off. Is the Renegade equipped with this? If not, is there a manual way to turn off the passenger air bag?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
My kids didn't get to ride in the front seat until they were 13 years old. They never complained. My grandkids won't sit in the front either until they are 13 (the oldest is only 7 now).

Just saying. . .

Reactions: twospirits

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
As per the News release it has
Advanced multistage air bags: Inflates with a force appropriate to the severity of the impact. Meets FMVSS 208 advanced air bag requirements for smaller, out of position occupants.

And as per Edmunds it states: Passenger airbag occupant sensing deactivation.

But as I look in the manual, there is nothing about deactivation.
See pages 270 thru 294

TS

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My kids didn't get to ride in the front seat until they were 13 years old. They never complained. My grandkids won't sit in the front either until they are 13 (the oldest is only 7 now).

Just saying. . .
Thanks for the unsolicited parenting advice. But I was asking a question about the Renegade.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Advanced multistage air bags: Inflates with a force appropriate to the severity of the impact. Meets FMVSS 208 advanced air bag requirements for smaller, out of position occupants.

See pages 270 thru 294

TS
I couldn't find anything in the manual either which is why I asked. Thanks for finding the info!

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
No problemo on the info.
Btw, my Hyundai also has that feature if they don't weigh enough it turns off, but it depends on the weight.

Just saying. . .
I was actually surprised how different each law is in each state in regards to having kids in the front seats. I can see why you made that comment.

Now if one is to manually disable the passenger seat, I think it would result in more problems. What happens when an adult sits in the seat? Does one have to undo the procedure (which I am sure isn't easy to do in the first place and probably illegal).

TS

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problemo on the info.
Btw, my Hyundai also has that feature if they don't weigh enough it turns off, but it depends on the weight.

I was actually surprised how different each law is in each state in regards to having kids in the front seats. I can see why you made that comment.

Now if one is to manually disable the passenger seat, I think it would result in more problems. What happens when an adult sits in the seat? Does one have to undo the procedure (which I am sure isn't easy to do in the first place and probably illegal).

TS
There are many vehicles in which you use the ignition key and turn it off, very simple. And then use the key to turn it back on when there is an adult passenger.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts

See pages 270 thru 294

TS
This is the new predominant solution rather than simple deactivation. IIRC they are smaller airbags with the ability to inflate more or less violently/alter the timing of the charge deploying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was in an auto accident I hit a car that was parked on a busy road, was going up the road changing lanes from Left to Right I was looking in the mirror when I looked from mirror to road I noticed the car in from of me was not moving, that is when I tried to slam on breaks however it was to late and I hit the car in front of me going about 45 miles per hour, i would have taught the air bags would have deployed, however it did not. Any thoughts or has this happened to anyone else?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.