Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out if this is normal....

The climate controls seem to be doing what looks like an automatic function...

1st thing I've noticed is the Rear Window/Side Mirror Window Defroster turns is on when I start the car in cold temp. I can't find anything in the manual stating this.

2nd is I cannot get the recirculation to stay on. It will turn off after maybe 5 minutes. Again, I don't see anything in the manual about this.

Anybody else seeing this? Is this normal?

I don't have the auto climate control system.

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
I don't have heated mirrors that I know of, so no idea there.

As fro recirculation, mine stays on as long as I want as far as I can tell. Goes on automatically with Max AC.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have heated mirrors that I know of, so no idea there.

As fro recirculation, mine stays on as long as I want as far as I can tell. Goes on automatically with Max AC.

Interesting! Are you currently in a cold climate? I'm in the 30F-40F range and seeing this. Just wondering if it is temp related.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Yeah, our heated mirrors and rear defrost will come on automatically if it is under a certain temp. I forget what the threshold is...maybe 37?

Not sure about the recirculation. Make sure you don't have defrost on.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, our heated mirrors and rear defrost will come on automatically if it is under a certain temp. I forget what the threshold is...maybe 37?

Not sure about the recirculation. Make sure you don't have defrost on.
Ok, that's half the mystery. Still can't figure out if there is something wrong with the recirculation.

But with no ac on, and air blowing to the floor, the recirculation stays on for about 5 mins then shuts off. At least the light shuts off. I'm not fully sure if it's acutally closing opening up to outside and I don't hear a difference in the air noise.

Next trip I'll put in full blast recirculation, then I'll hear it change over. IDK, something seems strange.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I believe it's below 40 when the auto defrosts, etc kick on. At least it does for my heated seats and steering wheel. Of course it's hard for me to check anything as my car is at the dealership and has been for awhile.

I've never seen a problem with my recirc kicking off (even just the light), but can't say I kept an eye on it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Interesting! Are you currently in a cold climate? I'm in the 30F-40F range and seeing this. Just wondering if it is temp related.
Walk over to the other side of the river and see if it's cold there too. >:D>:D>:D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think i figured this out. Recirc will shut off automatically in defrost, defrost/heat, and heat modes. It will stay on in front/heat and front mode. Glad it's not a glitch LOL.

Ironically the wrangler does discuss this a bit more clearly in their manual. But ours is fague in this function.

Funny how manufacturers think they have to do these things for us. Guess I'm not smart enough to know it's fogging up the windows so switch it back to outside air. I'll bet they got sued by some idiot and had to put this function in.

Another "automatic" function that has been snuk in for a awhile now is the compressor will kick on in any defrost mode. While it's nice to kick on, I wish I could disengage it if I feel like it. Nope! The light will be off, but the compressor will still be running if you are in any defrost mode. Why?, who knows. Some engineer decided it was best for us. This is in the manual.

Anyway, thanks for your ideas.

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
Ok did some experimenting on my commute today.

Car declared 38F, rear defroster came on with car. Note, the magic notifcations in most cars are 37F, and based on previous OBDII data logging, the displayed temp is 1F above what is in the ODBII logs at all times.

Put on recirc, it did not turn off, even after making a short stop at the store where It was turned off and back on. it definitely stayed on for more than 5 minutes at a go.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok did some experimenting on my commute today.

Car declared 38F, rear defroster came on with car. Note, the magic notifcations in most cars are 37F, and based on previous OBDII data logging, the displayed temp is 1F above what is in the ODBII logs at all times.

Put on recirc, it did not turn off, even after making a short stop at the store where It was turned off and back on. it definitely stayed on for more than 5 minutes at a go.
What direction did you have the air flow? Floor?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The notch between floor and dash. Not sure if that splits the difference like in a old school cables and knobs setup or just picks one.

If you mean the mode circled in red, then I got the same result. Recirc stays on in that mode and the full front vent mode. It seems to kick off once I move to the floor or any of the defrest modes.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
If you mean the mode circled in red, then I got the same result. Recirc stays on in that mode and the full front vent mode. It seems to kick off once I move to the floor or any of the defrest modes.

There's a decent between that one and the one below, that's where I had it set.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's a decent between that one and the one below, that's where I had it set.
oK, That's actually what I tried this morning and it stayed in recirc mode. I'll confirm on drive home. I'll try full floor in recirc, and then this inbetween mode. But I think that is the cutoff point.
Confirmed. Recirculation goes off on floor vents, but stays on when set to the mode just above floor. Mystery solved lol

·
Registered
782 Posts
Rear defrost mode comes on automatically with heater activated (floor and windshield) when starting vehicle. I notice it and press the button to deactivate it. Outdoor temps? 38 degrees F and lower.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue with my 2017 model, dealer states the hvac control module needs to be replaced, 500 miles after warranty expired of course, quoted me 400 dollars parts and labor

·
Super Moderator
3,595 Posts

and enjoy the forum!

Try going to an AC shop. It should be a lot cheaper. Congrats you found a 4 year old post.

Reactions: MarkusO
1 - 18 of 18 Posts