Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Airbox

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  lamont 
#1 ·
Hello,

Where is the intake of the airbox situated in the Renny?
Hos deep can I go with my limited 4x4?

Thanks in advance

#5 ·
I don't know where the 12 inch measurement falls on a latitude / limited. I found the water depth limits on a brochure from Jeep. The FWD Renegades list a water fording depth of NA - Latitude / Limited 4x4's were 12 inches and Trailhawks were 19 inches. I know as part of their training on the Renegade the salesmen at my dealership actually had to drive one down into a tank of water at 19 inches - drive thru it about 50 feet and drive up out of it. One of them stuck his iPhone out the window and videoed the experience. The door seals kept the water out and apparently the Jeep was none the worse for wear. The limitations may have to do with something other than airbox height.

FWIW - My 1952 M38A1 came with a water fording kit that allows it to be submerged to the top of the windshield. I've seen video of a soldier in SCUBA gear driving one off a LST and driving underwater up on to a beach. Impressive, but after each such exposure there was some mandatory maintenance.

#7 ·
I was wondering about water fording myself, and with a short search I found this:

http://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...nual-transmission-sensors-switches-vents.html

(Yes the page is for the Dodge Dart, but they both share the same C635 transmission.)

Looks like there is a vent port on the manual transmission, and it seems as though we could attach a breathing hose to that vent and further increase the ability of non-TH jeeps to get through water.

What do you guys think?

#8 ·
That's presuming the transmission vent stack/tube is the limiting factor and not some electric component. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to find out how many inches above ground the vent stack/tube terminates.

If you look at a 2.4 L engine diagram or picture, the alternator is mounted fairly low. I surely wouldn't want that to dangle boldly in the water. The tailpipe being submerged becomes a problem only if the engine stalls or is turned off.

Generally, I would avoid driving through water deep enough to submerge the hubs, but that's me. While wheel bearings are sealed, even minute water ingress will dramatically shorten their life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.