Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First cold morning with mine yesterday (8F). I noticed that when I had the selector set to face and feet, with the blower all the way up even, there's little airflow out of the center vents. It all comes out the side and feet ones. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The center vents do not work that good. When I replaced my cabin air filter it seemed to help with airflow but it is probably in the design more than anything. I used a WIX filter instead of the Mopar. When both filters were new I would say the airflow was better with the WIX.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The center vents work with the AC, not so much with heat. I think the reasoning is because the radio, head unit is directly below the vents and it gets pretty hot, so adding heat from the vents would lessen the life expectancy of the head unit. Heat kills electronics.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Same on mine, the center vents have less airflow than an asthmatic's cough. Looking at the manual though, it says the quickest way to heat up the cabin is put it on the footwell.
Though DK and I are in the UK and rarely experience the severe cold weather that you are experiencing in the USA there still remains another way to heat the cabin.

• Switch on recycle air as the hot air you are producing can only get hotter with less effort.
  • Switch on A/C as it will remove as much moisture as possible especially with steamed up windows.
  • Direct your side vents manually onto the windows to demist them.
  • Ensure your main vent is set to window. Hot air rises and then falls which heats up your car from top to bottom as opposed to directing air to your feet and expecting cold air to rise.
Thereafter the car heats up PDQ. I get to the end of my street and can feel the cabin temperature rising.

In relation to using the middle vents I think they work brilliantly when the air-con is set to cold for that rare, warm and sunny day I see during a Scottish Summer :p (y)

·
Registered
156 Posts
The top 3 complaints for the Renegade (all years) is: Air (ventilation), the dreaded 9 speed auto (slow shifting), and the fake "4x4" (it's not 4x4, it's AWD, despite what jeep tells you).
The air circulation is not just the Renegade anymore (the newer Grand Cherokee's now share the same complaint). It's a design issue. My 17 Trailhawk center vents are useless. In fact the entire climate system is practically useless. This vehicle flows less air than any vehicle I've ever owned (that would be over a dozen). It's just a terrible design (and now shared by the top tier GC).
So just know.... no matter what you do (such as replacing in cabin air filter), won't matter... it just sucks. Period.
As for the other two main complaints... they are easily searchable via google (although the fake 4x4 less so, as Jeep goes after that with a ferver. The truth is, it's an AWD system madeby GKN (who also calls it an AWD system) and it's a torque vectoring system just like any other AWD system (ala Subaru). There is ZERO point you will EVER get a 50/50 split (front/rear), and even less chance of any serious torque split side to side. The Renegade is a FWD system with a PTO style rear assist that locks upon "lock" but DISENGAGES at the rear axle. This is because it uses the GKN Twinster rear end which houses triple clutch packs. One to disengage it from the main driveline, and two to disengage it from left/right axles. At no point to you ever have say over it's drive mode (it's all computer controlled) despite the fake "4 lock" button. It will optimize for MPG, and will lock up the entire system (upon resistance) to save itself (thus why the numerous videos of the system failing to deliver "4x4" type traction).
As for the 9spd.... well... it' sucks, and continues to suck. It works well in the Cherokee (with the 6) but that's because it has more power. The 9spd is ill suited for a 4 cylinder.

So.... anyway... the center vents... yeah, just accept that they're useless... because you won't get anything out of them (not like the other verts will work much better). Just close them off and you'll be better off.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Maverick it is quite obvious that you are underwhelmed with your Jeep.

I feel so lucky to have a car that I thoroughly enjoy and that it performs to my liking.

There are always 2 sides to any coin. (y)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Maverick it is quite obvious that you are underwhelmed with your Jeep.

I feel so lucky to have a car that I thoroughly enjoy and that it performs to my liking.

There are always 2 sides to any coin. (y)

That. I have zero complaints about my HVAC system, or 4WD system. The 9 speed is not the smoothest automatic that I've ever owned, but certainly does not cause me the sort of heartburn indicated above. I love that it allows manual control at the shift lever, and the gearing choices that 9 forward gears provide.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts