Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
new member here . I have a 2016 Renegade that doesn’t have any key. When I tried using my Autel scanner to connect to the OBD,there isn’t any communication. When I turn on my flashers they work but don’t display on the cluster. I checked the OBD fuse and it seems to be good .
Could this be a security lock? If so, has anyone experienced this ?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
So, all (both) keys lost?

I'm afraid nothing is going to work on the vehicle. Scanners typically and not-surprisingly need the ignition to be ON, for which you'd need a key.

Dealer time I'm afraid, with proof of ownership ($$$).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, all (both) keys lost?

I'm afraid nothing is going to work on the vehicle. Scanners typically and not-surprisingly need the ignition to be ON, for which you'd need a key.

Dealer time I'm afraid, with proof of ownership ($$$).
Yes both keys lost. I went to the dealer but for some reason there is no power going to the OBD port. We looked at the two 70A fuses on the engine compartment and they both look good. I also checked the fuses on the BCM that’s under the driver steering column and for some reason the ones on the left do not have any power going to them. I believe the OBD fuse is the blue 15A one...no powe going to it. Here’s a sample pic showing the fuses I’m referring to . Also, I was able to get a locksmith to program the key , but they had to push power to the OBD using their scanner to get it to program . The problem now is even though the key is programmed/learned , it still comes as “no key detected” .
it’s also important for me to mention that a thief cut the wires going to my 6.5” screen . Basically cut them instead of just unplugging and stealing it...could this be affecting it ?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The head unit is not just a simple radio entertainment system like in the days of yore. There is a LOT of settings that are inside that unit that communicate with the vehicle and need to be "complete" for lack of a better word. Did the thief make off with your radio ? If so, you have other problems besides the missing keys...

Thinking about slapping in a new radio ? Well, do a search on here, you can't just buy any ol' one and install it, again, like the days of yore.

I bet you've heard the old saying that a pocket calculator is more computerized than the Lunar Landing Module that landed on the Moon. Well, these Jeeps make the pocket calculator look like a stone and chisel. No wait; a stick and a flat piece of mud. These Jeeps are insanely computerized to a fault.

The only Shadetree Mechanic you'll be doing is sitting under a shade tree while waiting for the dealers tow truck....

Good luck !!

Reactions: Marek K

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The head unit is not just a simple radio entertainment system like in the days of yore. There is a LOT of settings that are inside that unit that communicate with the vehicle and need to be "complete" for lack of a better word. Did the thief make off with your radio ? If so, you have other problems besides the missing keys...

Thinking about slapping in a new radio ? Well, do a search on here, you can't just buy any ol' one and install it, again, like the days of yore.

I bet you've heard the old saying that a pocket calculator is more computerized than the Lunar Landing Module that landed on the Moon. Well, these Jeeps make the pocket calculator look like a stone and chisel. No wait; a stick and a flat piece of mud. These Jeeps are insanely computerized to a fault.

The only Shadetree Mechanic you'll be doing is sitting under a shade tree while waiting for the dealers tow truck....

Good luck !!
Yes, the radio is gone 😞. So I’m not able to purchase another used 6.5”and splice the wires? I was hoping it would be plug and play ...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yes, the radio is gone 😞. So I’m not able to purchase another used 6.5”and splice the wires? I was hoping it would be plug and play ...
From what I understand, and I may be wrong, it is not plug and play. Even if you get the exact same radio, it will need to be "married" to your vehicle, yes, that means a trip to the dealer. My 2017 Latitude radio came with a "code" card in my Owners Manual package. That code is vital in marrying the unit to the vehicle. Supposedly, without that code, the dealer can do nothing. And the dealer will also need the VIN of the radios donor vehicle as that comes into play also. This is the most dealer dependent vehicle I have ever owned.

In addition, if the dirtbag that stole your radio simply cut all the wires, odds are high you have blown fuses. This vehicle has 3 fuse panels, one under the hood, one buried under the dash (that requires panels to be removed to access as there is no access cover, genius move there, Jeep) and one in the cargo area, again, buried behind panels. It would be wise to check all 3 panels while troubleshooting.

Hopefully those that have more precise knowledge will chime in if I am misleading you anywhere.

Mud Pie Rant Time -

I started driving in 1976, most likely years before most of you were born. This Renegade is the most unfriendly user-serviceable vehicle I have ever owned. Just putting in a "wrong" set of replacement light bulbs can make this vehicle crap itself and turn in tiny circles. Light bulbs. And they purposely make it harder and harder for owners to work on their own vehicles. At one time owners could use an OBD tool or something similar to diagnose issues. Well, Jeep took care of that !! They installed a SGW (Security Gateway) behind the radio to prevent owners from easily working on their own vehicle. Oh, rest assured the dealer doesn't need the SGW key... "A lot of vehicles are like this" provides no comfort.

The only thing I have done, and will ever do, to this vehicle is gently put a coffee cup in the cup holder. Everything else is just a roll of the dice.

Mud Pie Rant over, time for coffee.

Reactions: Marek K

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I started driving in 1976
I've got you beat there! 🍺 :)

This Renegade is the most unfriendly user-serviceable vehicle I have ever owned.
"A lot of vehicles are like this" provides no comfort.
I agree with you there. However, "a lot of vehicles are like that" is important. I suspect most, if not all, vehicles these days are equally electronic and non-user-serviceable.

I'm lucky that we have two 2009 VW Mk5's which kind of struck a happy balance between offering convenient diagnostics (using VCDS or similar), and having components that were 9relatively) easy to replace after DIY troubleshooting.

I'm also lucky in that our 2021 Trailhawk is equipped pretty-much the way I want/need it. Like OEM bi-LED headlights, which was a requirement for our aging eyes. It'd be nice to be able to retrofit European taillights with amber turn signals, and maybe a European rear fog light; but that's not going to happen...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts