Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All... I cannot tell you how upset and horrified at what happened today.
Currently the car is in the service dept. at the dealership I bought it from.

This is a 2016 Justice edition w/ 2000 miles on it.

Was turning at an intersection heading west when suddenly I had MULTIPLE failures appear on my display.. power steering failure, hillstart assistance failure, traction control failure, electronic braking failure (or something like that), and a few others. It all happened one after the other.
thank GOD I was only going about 35 mph... and I had to muscle the steering wheel to get it to turn.
Drove it STRAIGHT to the dealer service (fortunately only 1/2 mile away) and showed them the errors.

The service advisor asked if I turned the car off and back on. NO... I was in the middle of the road driving!!
Sure enough he turned it off and back on and the issues cleared. Not... Good.
They are looking at it now.

Had I been driving through an on or off ramp on the highway... I most likely would have rolled right off the highway or worse.
Had I been an elderly person, I would have surely had an accident, as it took all my strength just to turn the steering wheel (we are talking using both hands to 'pull' down the steering wheel in the direction)

folks... this is not good... not good at all.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Got to put the skids up you when it happens and you got no steering. Suppose that this had happened at 70 mph while changing lanes to overtake traffic or going round a curve at 50 mph? I wouldn't want it happening to me. I know these happenings are rare, but unfortunately they happen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got to put the skids up you when it happens and you got no steering. Suppose that this had happened at 70 mph while changing lanes to overtake traffic or going round a curve at 50 mph? I wouldn't want it happening to me. I know these happenings are rare, but unfortunately they happen.

"skids up"???

I am EXTREMELY lucky this happened at a fairly quite street at 35mph.
There is no doubt I would have been injured if this happened in areas like you said. Or worse... if someone had walked in front of my car... say, a child riding his bike accidentally out into the street. I would have killed the kid when the power steering failed, as I'd be unable to turn.

I will post what I hear back from the service dept.
Any suggestions? If they can't find anything wrong... what should be my next step?
As much as I love this Jeep... I am not sure I trust a car that has this extreme failure. I'd hate to see this failure happen in bad weather (snow, ice, etc...)

Time to document all of this in case this ends up becoming a legal issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So... service called back. Said that the powertrain code needed to be updated with new code due a fault found with relearning.. as well as the instrument cluster code needed updating.
Just an FYI... this Jeep was purchased new, off the delivery truck in Feb. 2016. So anyone else who bought theirs around the same time may want to take it in to get this updated before this issue happens to you.
(I'll ask more questions when I go to pick it up... like what code version got installed and what code version was previously installed)

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
So... service called back. Said that the powertrain code needed to be updated with new code due a fault found with relearning.. as well as the instrument cluster code needed updating.
Just an FYI... this Jeep was purchased new, off the delivery truck in Feb. 2016. So anyone else who bought theirs around the same time may want to take it in to get this updated before this issue happens to you.
(I'll ask more questions when I go to pick it up... like what code version got installed and what code version was previously installed)
Hopefully yours will be a one off or one of the very few.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Reading your post I was literally holding my head in my hands. I have a new 1.6 Justice edition, purchased end of March, really long delivery time, but received on Monday last week. No one could explain the long delivery length, including a month being in this country (at 'customs control') and not being passed to the Dealership.
Just had an email today with the following:-
'....we found out what the issue was with the delay in delivery, basically the car needed a update but for a technical reason they could not do this via the normal channel so had to send over a team of 7 engineers from Italy with the necessary equipment'.

Maybe they are aware of the problem and solving it - I hope.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You know what's really scary...
Imagine the worst had happened and you were killed.
The Jeep would have being towed in maybe turned on - no errors.
Probably no other checks done or able to be done and your death would have been put down as "death by carelessness."
No one would be any the wiser.
Bloody twilight zone scary right there.

Reactions: capikoo

·
Registered
607 Posts
Someone else on this forum with the 9 speed auto trans posted something very similar to this last year, the whole car went crazy while he was making a u turn and it stalled out in the middle of the road! Yikes!

·
Registered
356 Posts
What's the actual build date? (Should say on the door sticker.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is a scan of the invoice of the service that was done by the Jeep dealership.
Please use it to compare with yours, or to ask your local dealership about it. As I stated, I have a '16 Justice edition, which I believe is the same as a limited model.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, "no repairs needed?" They did something, right?
I'll find out the build date for you. (Not wanting to drive it right now for obvious reasons)

Apparently that just means that there was no repairs needed that would represent a bill of materials... meaning, parts were not needed to replace a mechanical defect.
They did update code... .2 hours labor to update PCM and .4 hours labor to update Instrument Panel Cluster.
(listed in the first attachment I posted)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.