Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a new member to this forum and the jeep community. I've purchase a second hand 2.0 multiair diesel Jeep Renegade (Limited version) a few months back. Very happy until a few days ago, when my little jeep friend didn't want so start. I had no error warning of this on the display. I was at work, far from the city so a colleague measured the battery parameters and reached the conclusion it was a dead battery.

I replaced it, the car started with two error messages on board: start/stop unavailable and check engine My colleague measured again the charging capacity and said to visit a service because the charging value is to small and its not charging properly especially with the lights, AC and other consumers on. The error messages disappeard the next day.

Because I had a bad experience with the dealerships service in my county (70 km from my town) I decided to take it to a local service. They measured the alternator and decided to change it. after replacement the charging value was ok without any lights or other power consumer on. Since it dropped after turning them on, they said the problem its the alternator, it is to small and if they leave the new one on the car I will have the same problem, and they don't give warranty for this reason. I've decided to leave the old alternator on the car and try to seek another service who can help me. The new alternator I think it was an aftermarket one, but with same specs as the one on the car.

With the old alternator the voltage meter on the display show 13.2v and after a longer drive increases to 14 v. and the drop in charging current I saw it on a voltmeter mounted in the lighter output. Today I hope I will get my car back from the local service and I have to find a more capable service for my problem.
Has anyone encountered this problem before? Is it really an alternator issue, is it possible the factory mounted an undercharging alternator on my car?
Or maybe an opinion about what the problem could be?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sounds like battery, some members have changed theirs for a better make, its in the forums somewhere. The battery is small and has so much tec running through it that it really struggles.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The alternator on our newer vehicle will not start charging until there is a need. If you just replaced the battery, and if it is fully charged, the alternator will not come on (Start charging).
Make sure that you start the Jeep, let it run for a few minutes before testing the alternator output. Try turning on the lights before testing.

Ensure that everything is turned off and disconnect the battery again for a few minutes to clear the codes, if you don't have a code reader to clear the codes.

Reconnect the battery, start the Jeep and see of the codes return.

·
Registered
443 Posts
@ValentinRO

I mentioned it when I first joined the forum that Jeep informed me I had 2 batteries. IDMOR above asked me to search for the 2nd battery and I cannot find it. What I do recall is that my car has a start/stop function ( it's disabled) and that's why my Renegade 2.0 multijet diesel 4x4 needs a higher spec battery.

Since the battery was changed I cannot reiterate enough that there have been no issues. On that note if I do have to change the battery then we all have a few options open to us as discussed on another topic. Batteries galore (y)(y)(y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts