Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have been lurking/stalking this forum for about three months while pondering purchasing my very first brand new vehicle. I think I've read almost every post including the good, the bad, and the ugly (I am slightly obsessed) I am in love with the Renegade despite all the first Gen/ new platform issues many have been having. I had been putting off test driving once since I was sure that as soon as I did, I would have to have it and I am slightly nervous with reading some of the major failures people have been having. So I ask you, if I was your wife/mother/daughter/sister, would you recommend I purchase the Renegade??

Am I crazy for wanting despite all the problems many have had and the build quality FCA has a reputation for having??

·
Registered
46 Posts
I honestly would feel comfortable recommending it. Mine has a January build date and it has been nothing but reliable since I bought it (approaching 4500 miles now). Everyone's experience will be different, so take both the good stories and the bad with the grain of salt.

Now, would I recommend buying a used one or one without a 3 year warranty? No, no, and no--not until the bugs have been ironed out. But you're completely covered in a new car.

Bottom line: I'd go for it. Life is too short to drive a car you hate.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
216 Posts
I agree with Spiff

I don't care what 1st gen vehicle you buy you have a good chance that some problem (big or small) will occur. Every 1st gen vehicle I have purchased has had something wrong with it. Software update needed, or TSP, brake noise, etc, etc. The only issues I have had with my Renny so far (3800miles) have been really minor (squeaky brakes and software issue with 6.5radio system). Radio had no YELP app but new software patch just fixed that and my brakes needed disc brake quiet installed (did that myself) and brakes are good to go. Just think of other stuff people purchase all the time and every once in a while you get something defective; but 90% of the time it works great. I hate it when I purchase something and its broke, has a defect or is missing parts but I guess this is the world we live in. This is why everything new has some type of warranty. I still give the new Renny "TWO THUMBS UP" and recommend this compact SUV!! A lot of folks are having some growing pains, issues, etc but most still love their Renegades and are staying devoted. CanadianGirl, do what you think is best and go for it. Take care and good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I say go for it if you're looking to spend this much on a car. There have been some on here that have had minor problems with a few serious problems. But many more have had good luck with their Renegades.

Mine has been problem free for four months and ~3,000 miles. I don't drive it as much in the summer since I use the motorcycle on nice days.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you are in no rush (next 6-12 months or so) then I would highly recommend the Reney.
I would wait as long as you can and then buy.
If you can't wait, then I would still recommend it, but with the note that I would keep a close eye on it and not wonder off in the middle of the desert, etc, without understanding the potential issues.
If you need this kind of "get lost" abilities in your vehicle and you need it now, then I don't think I'd give the Reney a green light.
The first gen issues are real and not anyones imagination. A new model, in a new plant, probably built by new people, is not an ideal situation.
Despite the reported issues, my wife and I LOVE our TH. I have a 2014 GC and I'm constantly trying to get her to let me drive the TH. So far we've had ZERO problems and I'm hoping it will stay that way, but understand things can and will probably happen. My hopes are that they appear soon so we can get them behind us.

Reactions: twospirits

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much everyone. I am looking to buy in the next 1-3 months as my beloved gas guzzler of a Durango has reached over 300,000 Kim's and I am starting to question its reliability. I just talked to my local dealership who has three on the lot (that seems to be the best we can get up here) and I will go test drive on Saturday....I have been deciding between the Escape and the Renegade but honestly, there's no real competition with the Reney....except in the reliability field which may ,in the end, push me the other way....I guess we shall see on Saturday!

Thanks for all your honest replies!

·
Registered
81 Posts
but with the note that I would keep a close eye on it and not wonder off in the middle of the desert, etc, without understanding the potential issues.
If you need this kind of "get lost" abilities in your vehicle and you need it now, then I don't think I'd give the Reney a green light.
My vote is no, not yet, even if I had the money right now, it is not worth the aggravation some owners are experiencing on the early problems. Even though it may be cool looking, it's not finished baking yet.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks for all your honest replies!
While i do think the Renegade is having higher than average rate of new car issues, there is one thing to keep in mind. Like any product, those who are having problems will always be the most vocal. While those with no problems often just carry on quietly. Jeep has probably sold 15,000 Renegades (at least!). So when you hear 1000 people talking about whats gone wrong, you're barely hearing a peep from the remaining 14,000 with no issues. It's just that the 1000 can make it appear like the product is a disaster. As mentioned before, it's a new car so you'll be fully covered if something happens. I hope all that made sense. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
This post is for the member who posted and then deleted a comment saying no car is bug free.

While there is some truth to that, it is well known that the second and third year of any car gives a manufacture time to fix some of the early problems. Such as if the Renegade wire harnees is getting damaged or pinched, it give them time to figure out a fix for that. Software bugs, it gives them time to find and fix them.

It really just boils done to each persons individual frustration tolerance, if you don't mind the chance you may have to take in for repairs your car if you buy early, then sure, buy now, the Renegade still has that cool unusal factor. If your anxiety raises over that prospect then it is best to wait. There is no right answer, it is an individual decision when to buy.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
It really just boils done to each persons individual frustration tolerance, if you don't mind the chance you may have to take in for repairs your car if you buy early, then sure, buy now, the Renegade still has that cool unusal factor. If your anxiety raises over that prospect then it is best to wait. There is no right answer, it is an individual decision when to buy.
^Totally agree with that.
And something I decided I'd be willing to take a chance on because I loved the design so much and had been waiting for it to come out a long time.
It's the only vehicle I ever liked as much as my old Cherokee and since I had that for 13 years I decided the time was right for me to try a new thing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
heres a counter point to why I jumped on the first generation..

FCA is opening plants in China and Brazil the next couple of years with plans to build renegades in both countries.

I dont mind the idea of my renegade being built in Italy... good car loving country...

Now as far as China goes, im not too against the idea, most things I buy are made there, but when it comes to Brazil no thanks... The culture is too laid back. Then again maybe FCA will pay their employees excellent compared to other jobs in Brazil and maybe they take pride in what they build. Who knows....

When I worked for Nissan, the vehicles made in Japan were bulletproof, the quality "dipped" when it came to the ones built in mexico...

Just something to think about...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.