Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Xtrons Android 10 headunit earlier this year through Amazon and it had been working well for a few months, but unfortunately developed a Canbus error.

Xtrons were really good and sent a replacement Canbus module (with free reversing camera for my troubles) which sorted the issue.

However, since re-fitting the unit (I went back to the original unit while waiting for the module to arrive from China), I've found the set up of the headunit intermittently reset.

This is a bit odd as at first I simply thought there must be a problem with the power supply and it's simply not able to retain any memory, however I have it on a 10 minutes standby which works fine when the car is off. I then noticed that occasionally it'll be fine and all the icons I've moved around etc are remembered next time I start, but then another time, it'll forget and everything is back to default.

All my installed apps etc are all fine and nothing is deleted, but radio stations and app icons go back to their defaults. As mentioned this isn't all the time so I can't see how it's a power supply issue.

Anyone else had anything like this with an Android headunit?

·
Super Moderator
4,766 Posts
Have factory GPS head unit but keep us updated on yours please.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have no way of knowing for certain, but it sounds like a EPROM issue. An EPROM is a chip that stores data (your individual settings) that will remain stored when power is removed and it can be re-written (user changeable). "Power removed" doesn't just mean pulling the battery cables, it also means when you shut the unit off.

It could be just a glitch. Is it possible to return the unit back to factory defaults ? I'd try that, see if all looks normal, then make your changes. Everything you change should be immediately written to the EPROM, but take it for a ride for a few minutes.

I'd also let the manufacturer know. They may have gotten a batch of faulty chips, with the chip shortages today anything is possible.

Good luck !!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it possible to return the unit back to factory defaults ?

I'd also let the manufacturer know. They may have gotten a batch of faulty chips, with the chip shortages today anything is possible.
Factory defaults - kind of. The unit has a 'reset' function, but it's not a full factory reset like you can do on a phone which is unfortunate, it's more a soft reset.

I have sent Xtrons an email through Amazon (they have been responding so we'll see if they have an answer), but was just curious if anyone else had one of these units.

Overall I'm really happy with it - it's a bit slow at start-up, but once up and running is good to have proper Android app's like TomTom Go and Spotify etc reversing camera and even watch YouTube when parked up at your favorite drive-through :)

I'll see what Xtrons get back with and update in case anyone else has one in the future and has similar issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, a quick update - it appears a head unit reset was the answer.

Xtrons got back in touch and gave me the details to get into a 'hidden' menu that's secured with a passcode - essentially in the settings/car infotainment/about/ and select the cog icon in the upper right screen. Code 8888 and it entered the hidden menu. Lots of options in there and the most important factory reset button.

Carried out the reset and so far it appears everything is back to working properly.

Interestingly it also has the option to swap the display of the doors when open - being in the UK with right hand drive cars, the unit comes set up for left hand drive, so when the drivers door is opened, the display on the headunit shows the passenger door open. Not a big deal, but at least now with them swapped it stops my OCD from exploding everytime I open a door :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I just installed an Xtrons unit in my 2015. It works well for the most part. A couple of nits - the door handle lock/unlock feature isn't working. The inside lock/unlock buttons and the fob buttons work fine. Second, I lose the radio presets when the unit has to do a reboot, which is necessary when certain menu options are changed. Third, with the factory unit, the radio would stay on until I opened the door. This one turns off when I turn the car off.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I just installed an Xtrons unit in my 2015. It works well for the most part. A couple of nits - the door handle lock/unlock feature isn't working. The inside lock/unlock buttons and the fob buttons work fine. Second, I lose the radio presets when the unit has to do a reboot, which is necessary when certain menu options are changed. Third, with the factory unit, the radio would stay on until I opened the door. This one turns off when I turn the car off.
I got the door lock issue sorted. My main thing now is losing presets when the radio does a reboot. Certain menu options require a reboot to take effect, but radio presets are lost when this happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts